Re: Postfix, Autoreply

  • motty cruz
    Message 1 of 18 , May 21, 2013
      after a lot of research, I have this script

      I get the copy and sender gets a copy, but how do I get Postfix to use this script
      here is the script:
      #!/usr/bin/bash
      /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t <<EOF
      From: celso@...
      To: $1
      Subject: On vacation

      This is a test email.
      EOF

      here is my master.cf
      #
      reply unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
              flags=Fq  user=nobody argv=/usr/local/sbin/reply $sender $recipient

      here is my transport

      any suggestions?
      Thanks,

      On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Peter <peter@...> wrote:
      On 05/21/2013 09:51 AM, Timo Röhling wrote:
      Have a look at
      http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#autoreply and pick the solution that
      is the easiest for you to setup.

      I have two to add to that list:

      1.  Virtual Vacation which comes packaged with PostfixAdmin (but does not require PostfixAdmin to use).

      2.  dovecot sieve and managesieve plugins (probably with other sieve implementations as well).

      There are addons in both Roundcube and Squirrlmail for both of the above so that users can set their own autoreply messages.

      Peter

    • Benny Pedersen
      Message 2 of 18 , May 21, 2013
        motty cruz skrev den 2013-05-21 02:04:

        > Does anybody have a script that work for autoresponders?

        try the one in postfixadmin, note it does not reply to maillists
        blindly

      • Robert L Mathews
        Message 3 of 18 , May 21, 2013
          On 5/21/13 1:50 PM, motty cruz wrote:

          > any suggestions?

          Before you go any further, you should read RFC 3834, "Recommendations
          for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail":

          http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834

          ... particularly section 2, which begins (with admirable directness) "An
          automatic responder MUST NOT blindly send a response for every message
          received."

          If you don't consider those recommendations, your script -- if you get
          it working -- will do things you won't like.

          As an example: what would your script do if it ever received a message
          claiming to be from its own "From" address (because you sent yourself a
          message, or because a spammer forged your own address)? It appears that
          it would send itself an infinite loop of "On vacation" messages.

          There are other subtle problems that are difficult to explain here, some
          of which will cause you to annoy other people on the Internet, not just
          yourself.

          This is why people with experience are telling you to use existing
          software that already takes all of this into account, instead of helping
          you do something that's universally recognized as unwise.

          --
          Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/
        • Charles Marcus
          Message 4 of 18 , May 22, 2013
            On 2013-05-21 8:23 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
            > motty cruz skrev den 2013-05-21 02:04:
            >
            >> Does anybody have a script that work for autoresponders?
            >
            > try the one in postfixadmin, note it does not reply to maillists blindly

            Well... I had a lot of trouble with it responding to a lot of things
            that it shouldn't (facebook junk, etc).

            The latest trunk version of the vacation script has a new variable and
            test function that lets the admin easily add new strings to test for in
            the From/MailFrom (envelope and headers) that will result in not sending
            the vacation message.

            I highly recommend using the new version if you decide to use it. It is
            very effective now for my purposes.

            --

            Best regards,

            Charles
          • motty cruz
            Message 5 of 18 , May 22, 2013
              Thank your suggestions, do you mind pointing to a source for vacation script? I'm using FreeBSD

              I tried to use Autoreply Software from here: http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#autoreply

              but one requires Java and the other works with LDAP, I don't have LDAP and I'm not willing to use Java.

              Thank you for your help!

              Message 6 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                Please don't top-post - response inline below...

                On 2013-05-21 8:23 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                motty cruz skrev den 2013-05-21 02:04:

                Does anybody have a script that work for autoresponders?

                try the one in postfixadmin, note it does not reply to maillists blindly

                Well... I had a lot of trouble with it responding to a lot of things that it shouldn't (facebook junk, etc).

                The latest trunk version of the vacation script has a new variable and test function that lets the admin easily add new strings to test for in the From/MailFrom (envelope and headers) that will result in not sending the vacation message.

                I highly recommend using the new version if you decide to use it. It is very effective now for my purposes.

                Thank your suggestions, do you mind pointing to a source for vacation script? I'm using FreeBSD

                Thank you for your help!

                My apologies... I see that Rudi still hasn't merged the last version of these changes to the trunk version. I just pinged him to see if he will do so, but until then, here is his latest version:

                https://github.com/valkum/postfixadmin/blob/cdcccddbe2e1d6758cd63899e7b8973156f1412a/VIRTUAL_VACATION/vacation.pl

                It has been running on my system for months now, and works great. Reduced the number of bogus responses from many per day per user, to virtually none, with my expanded custom no_reply string:

                $noreply_pattern = 'alert|autoreply|auto-reply|bounce|constantcontact|do-not-reply|facebook|linkedin|list-|listserv|mailer|majordomo|myspace|newsletter|noreply|no-reply|owner\-|\-(owner|request|bounces)|postmaster|request\-|twitter';

                --

                Best regards,

                Charles

              • motty cruz
                Message 7 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                  thank you soo much Charles,
                  I was able to download that script you pointed in the last email,

                  now this maybe dumb questions but I would like to deploy this script on the spam filter level before reaching our imap/pop server. At the spam filter level I don't have a database for users,

                  I was  hoping to find something simple that can be implemented at the spam filter level when email bound to user on vacation can be reply automatically. maybe i dream about having this feature or i have seen it before?

                  I really appreciated your help!
                  Thanks Again,

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                    Again - please do not top-post. If you don't know what that means,
                    google is your friend.

                    On 2013-05-22 12:42 PM, motty cruz <motty.cruz@...> wrote:
                    > thank you soo much Charles,
                    > I was able to download that script you pointed in the last email,

                    You're welcome.

                    > now this maybe dumb questions but I would like to deploy this script
                    > on the spam filter level before reaching our imap/pop server. At the
                    > spam filter level I don't have a database for users,

                    ?? Think about what you just said. How are you going to control sending
                    Vacation messages for only specific users (some will have it enabled,
                    some won't), if you don't have access to the user database?

                    Also, you need to clarify what you mean by 'spam filter'. There are
                    certain spam checks that are very cheap and can be applied early in the
                    smtp transaction (before recipient verification).

                    But more expensive *content* filters should never be wasted on invalid
                    users, so should only be applied *after* recipient verification.

                    Determining whether or not to send a Vacation message is one of the (if
                    not *the*) *last* stages in email delivery, *long* after any
                    spam/content filters.

                    > I was hoping to find something simple that can be implemented at the
                    > spam filter level when email bound to user on vacation can be reply
                    > automatically. maybe i dream about having this feature or i have seen
                    > it before?

                    No, you're not dreaming, you're just not thinking through how it must work.

                    --

                    Best regards,

                    Charles