Re: Advice Needed / .NET Postfix Control

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 12 , May 21 1:32 PM
      On 5/21/2013 1:28 PM, Greg Deward wrote:
      > Sorry... should have specified... cannot integrate with AD or the Microsoft environment.

      It's a bit ironic that you're summarily eliminating the one interface
      you already know very well, which would work perfectly for you. I'd
      guess this is due to...

      > This needs to remain entirely stand-alone.

      Fear. You fear the unknown system you have zero experience with, so you
      desire to completely isolate it from anything else. This is a mistake.
      Face your fear and let it pass through you.

      Postfix never modifies LDAP/AD/mysql data. As others have mentioned
      that is not its job. It simply queries for user and domain names,
      possibly credentials if you're allowing submission, other table data,
      etc. Given that you're an all Microsoft shop, implementing a *nix mail
      server without using LDAP/AD queries for user info is akin to hog tiring
      yourself.

      > This means our member base will be stored in the application's database and we will need to call out to Postfix to manually perform account provisioning and the like.

      Again as others noted, Postfix doesn't perform user management. It
      doesn't create nor delete user accounts. You can perform these
      functions blindfolded using AD can you not? Then use it.

      And if you actually intend to have users "pull" this email as you
      described, instead of delivering it to their existing mailboxes, then
      you need a mailbox/IMAP/POP server, as others mentioned.

      To make this much easier and avoid running a mailbox/IMAP/POP server,
      simply deliver these emails to users' existing mailboxes, wherever those
      may be: freemail, ISP, internal corporate, etc. If you do this, all
      you need is your MS hosted AD database and Postfix.

      Your description of the workload requirements is somewhat vague so keep
      that in mind when reading replies.

      --
      Stan
    • Benny Pedersen
      Message 2 of 12 , May 21 4:25 PM
        Greg Deward skrev den 2013-05-21 20:12:
        > NEWBIE WARNING: I have never used Postfix and am not a Linux guru.
        > Please be gentile.

        +1

        http://www.postfix.org/addon.html (Run/Configuration/Queue/User
        management)

      • The_Ace
        Message 3 of 12 , May 26 9:10 AM
          Since this is for a completely windows based system, why not use a windows based mail server like hmailserver ? it supports several database types (mysql,mssql) so you can manage the user base through your system.

          On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Benny Pedersen <me@...> wrote:
          Greg Deward skrev den 2013-05-21 20:12:

          NEWBIE WARNING:  I have never used Postfix and am not a Linux guru.
          Please be gentile.

          +1

          http://www.postfix.org/addon.html (Run/Configuration/Queue/User management)

          --
          senders that put my email into body content will deliver it to my own trashcan, so if you like to get reply, dont do it

          --
          The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.