Re: Advice Needed / .NET Postfix Control

  • Serge Fonville
    Message 1 of 12 , May 21, 2013
      A few challenges then I suspect.
      Postfix does SMTP, you need a different service for IMAP
      It is likely easier (to maintain) a full solution (i.e. zarafa, zimbra) instead of a combination of services (postfix/dovecot)

      The point you make about low maintenance complicates things especially since there are multiple components that make up a solution.

      HTH

      Kind regards/met vriendelijke groet,

      Serge Fonville

      http://www.sergefonville.nl

      Convince Microsoft!
      They need to add TRUNCATE PARTITION in SQL Server

      2013/5/21 Greg Deward <greg.deward@...>
      In our conversations, the overall goal was to have a stand-alone mail server running Ubuntu and whatever mail packages are installed in [as close to default as possible] configuration.  The server should remain isolated and not be connected to any other box or resource.  We would call into it programmatically for all administrative functions.  Since we are a Microsoft shop, there is an overwhelming concern (read "fear") that we will be less qualified to maintain the platform as we add other services to the mix... in essence, we need to keep the overall mail platform as simplistic as possible to increase the chance that our folks can maintain it with ease.  Unless an LDAP server was an absolute requirement for Postfix we could not look at it.  And, more than likely, if it was a requirement, we would probably look to a different product.

      Early on in this project we were given a requirement to allow our members the ability to receive "messages" from our server via IMAP.  Someone assumed writing an IMAP server service would be simple and that we would have the cycles to do so.  Over time we have discouraged this and tried to find another IMAP service that will be able to marshal and deliver our messages to the client.  This was unsuccessful.  Postfix, and a simple server like Ubuntu, seems like the easiest method for dropping in a box that can receive messages and allow a standard email client to pull them down.  Ultimately, it would be great to find an IMAP Server Service to negotiate the client calls act as a proxy to our application.  Until then, Postfix appears to be the path we are on.

      I hope this helps.

      - G. Deward

      On May 21, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Serge Fonville <serge.fonville@...> wrote:

      Ah, ok.

      Well you can run OpenLDAP (for example) as a backend in the same way you could use AD.

      Postfix can use multiple backends depending on your needs.

      What requirements do you have?

      Kind regards/met vriendelijke groet,

      Serge Fonville

      http://www.sergefonville.nl

      Convince Microsoft!
      They need to add TRUNCATE PARTITION in SQL Server

      2013/5/21 Greg Deward <greg.deward@...>
      Sorry... should have specified... cannot integrate with AD or the Microsoft environment.  This needs to remain entirely stand-alone.  This means our member base will be stored in the application's database and we will need to call out to Postfix to manually perform account provisioning and the like.

      - G. Deward

      On May 21, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Serge Fonville <serge.fonville@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      From your mail it seems you desire a backend that can handle all that, you should be able to setup postfix to retrieve its users from AD.

      HTH

      Kind regards/met vriendelijke groet,

      Serge Fonville

      http://www.sergefonville.nl

      Convince Microsoft!
      They need to add TRUNCATE PARTITION in SQL Server

      2013/5/21 Greg Deward <greg.deward@...>
      NEWBIE WARNING:  I have never used Postfix and am not a Linux guru.  Please be gentile.

      Is there an existing .NET library (DLL, etc.) for controlling Postfix?  If not, is there an existing API for applications that are NOT running on the same server as Postfix?  More specifically, I have a need for creating users, deleting users, changing passwords, and the like.  I have been tasked with implementing an Ubuntu mail server and tying it into our custom ERP application (written in ASP.NET MVC and running on Windows).  The goal is to be able to dynamically create user accounts, leverage them for a period of time, and then shut them down when a project is finished.

      Thank you, in advance, for any assistance you may provide.

      - G. Deward

    • Brian Evans
      Message 2 of 12 , May 21, 2013
        On 5/21/2013 2:57 PM, Brian Evans wrote:

        Installing Postfix alone will not let you read the mail.  You need an IMAP/POP3 client to read remotely which Postfix does not provide.

        I mean IMAP/POP3 server such as courier, dovecot, etc.
      • Stan Hoeppner
        Message 3 of 12 , May 21, 2013
          On 5/21/2013 1:28 PM, Greg Deward wrote:
          > Sorry... should have specified... cannot integrate with AD or the Microsoft environment.

          It's a bit ironic that you're summarily eliminating the one interface
          you already know very well, which would work perfectly for you. I'd
          guess this is due to...

          > This needs to remain entirely stand-alone.

          Fear. You fear the unknown system you have zero experience with, so you
          desire to completely isolate it from anything else. This is a mistake.
          Face your fear and let it pass through you.

          Postfix never modifies LDAP/AD/mysql data. As others have mentioned
          that is not its job. It simply queries for user and domain names,
          possibly credentials if you're allowing submission, other table data,
          etc. Given that you're an all Microsoft shop, implementing a *nix mail
          server without using LDAP/AD queries for user info is akin to hog tiring
          yourself.

          > This means our member base will be stored in the application's database and we will need to call out to Postfix to manually perform account provisioning and the like.

          Again as others noted, Postfix doesn't perform user management. It
          doesn't create nor delete user accounts. You can perform these
          functions blindfolded using AD can you not? Then use it.

          And if you actually intend to have users "pull" this email as you
          described, instead of delivering it to their existing mailboxes, then
          you need a mailbox/IMAP/POP server, as others mentioned.

          To make this much easier and avoid running a mailbox/IMAP/POP server,
          simply deliver these emails to users' existing mailboxes, wherever those
          may be: freemail, ISP, internal corporate, etc. If you do this, all
          you need is your MS hosted AD database and Postfix.

          Your description of the workload requirements is somewhat vague so keep
          that in mind when reading replies.

          --
          Stan
        • Benny Pedersen
          Message 4 of 12 , May 21, 2013
            Greg Deward skrev den 2013-05-21 20:12:
            > NEWBIE WARNING: I have never used Postfix and am not a Linux guru.
            > Please be gentile.

            +1

            http://www.postfix.org/addon.html (Run/Configuration/Queue/User
            management)

          • The_Ace
            Message 5 of 12 , May 26, 2013
              Since this is for a completely windows based system, why not use a windows based mail server like hmailserver ? it supports several database types (mysql,mssql) so you can manage the user base through your system.

              On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Benny Pedersen <me@...> wrote:
              Greg Deward skrev den 2013-05-21 20:12:

              NEWBIE WARNING:  I have never used Postfix and am not a Linux guru.
              Please be gentile.

              +1

              http://www.postfix.org/addon.html (Run/Configuration/Queue/User management)

              --
              senders that put my email into body content will deliver it to my own trashcan, so if you like to get reply, dont do it

              --
              The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.