Re: Postfix, Autoreply

    Message 1 of 18 , May 20, 2013
      motty cruz:
      > I was following this HowtO unsuccessful;
      >
      > http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
      >
      > Autoreplies
      > can i use this instaed of installing a new utility?

      If you search for ``postfix postfix virtual auto reply''
      then one of the solutions should work for you.

      Wietse
    • motty cruz
      Message 2 of 18 , May 20, 2013
        Thank you again for replying,

        I'm not making any progress, I have google this postfix virtual reply but have not worked for me

        This is what i have in main.cf
        # autoreply
        virtual_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix-out/virtual
        transport_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/transport

        less virtual

        less transport
        autoreply.mydomain.com      autoreply:

        autoreply unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
                flags=f  user=nobody argv=/usr/local/auto/autoreply.pl $sender $recipient

        less /usr/local/auto/autoreply

        #!/bin/sh
        To:$1
        Subject:Vacation

        This is an autoreponder email.
        <<EOF

        am I missing anything else? please help

        Message 3 of 18 , May 20, 2013
          motty cruz:
          > less master.cf
          > autoreply unix - n n - - pipe
          > flags=f user=nobody argv=/usr/local/auto/autoreply.pl $sender
          > $recipient
          >

          > less /usr/local/auto/autoreply
          >
          > #!/bin/sh
          > From:motty@...
          > To:$1
          > Subject:Vacation
          >
          > This is an autoreponder email.
          > <<EOF
          >
          > am I missing anything else? please help

          Yes. Don't do it.

          The best help I can give you is use someone elses autoreply program.

          Wietse
        • Timo Röhling
          Message 4 of 18 , May 20, 2013
            Am 20.05.2013 23:34, schrieb motty cruz:
            > less /usr/local/auto/autoreply
            >
            > #!/bin/sh
            > From:motty@... <mailto:From%3Amotty@...>
            > To:$1
            > Subject:Vacation
            >
            > This is an autoreponder email.
            > <<EOF
            This is not a valid shell script. And even if it were, it would be
            susceptible to mail loops and other nastiness. Have a look at
            http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#autoreply and pick the solution that
            is the easiest for you to setup.
          • motty cruz
            Message 5 of 18 , May 20, 2013
              Thanks Timo,

              I was not able to get MSH Free Autoresponder  to work with postfix on FreeBSD machine,

              Does anybody have a script that work for autoresponders?

              Thanks,
              Motty

              On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Timo Röhling <timo.roehling@...> wrote:
              Am 20.05.2013 23:34, schrieb motty cruz:
              > less /usr/local/auto/autoreply
              >
              > #!/bin/sh
              > From:motty@... <mailto:From%3Amotty@...>
              > To:$1
              > Subject:Vacation
              >
              > This is an autoreponder email.
              > <<EOF
              This is not a valid shell script. And even if it were, it would be
              susceptible to mail loops and other nastiness. Have a look at
              http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#autoreply and pick the solution that
              is the easiest for you to setup.

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 18 , May 20, 2013
                On 05/21/2013 09:51 AM, Timo Röhling wrote:
                > Have a look at
                > http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#autoreply and pick the solution that
                > is the easiest for you to setup.

                I have two to add to that list:

                1. Virtual Vacation which comes packaged with PostfixAdmin (but does
                not require PostfixAdmin to use).

                2. dovecot sieve and managesieve plugins (probably with other sieve
                implementations as well).

                There are addons in both Roundcube and Squirrlmail for both of the above
                so that users can set their own autoreply messages.

                Peter
              • motty cruz
                Message 7 of 18 , May 21, 2013
                  after a lot of research, I have this script

                  I get the copy and sender gets a copy, but how do I get Postfix to use this script
                  here is the script:
                  #!/usr/bin/bash
                  /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t <<EOF
                  From: celso@...
                  To: $1
                  Subject: On vacation

                  This is a test email.
                  EOF

                  here is my master.cf
                  #
                  reply unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
                          flags=Fq  user=nobody argv=/usr/local/sbin/reply $sender $recipient

                  here is my transport

                  any suggestions?
                  Thanks,

                  On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Peter <peter@...> wrote:
                  On 05/21/2013 09:51 AM, Timo Röhling wrote:
                  Have a look at
                  http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#autoreply and pick the solution that
                  is the easiest for you to setup.

                  I have two to add to that list:

                  1.  Virtual Vacation which comes packaged with PostfixAdmin (but does not require PostfixAdmin to use).

                  2.  dovecot sieve and managesieve plugins (probably with other sieve implementations as well).

                  There are addons in both Roundcube and Squirrlmail for both of the above so that users can set their own autoreply messages.

                  Peter

                • Benny Pedersen
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 21, 2013
                    motty cruz skrev den 2013-05-21 02:04:

                    > Does anybody have a script that work for autoresponders?

                    try the one in postfixadmin, note it does not reply to maillists
                    blindly

                  • Robert L Mathews
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 21, 2013
                      On 5/21/13 1:50 PM, motty cruz wrote:

                      > any suggestions?

                      Before you go any further, you should read RFC 3834, "Recommendations
                      for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail":

                      http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834

                      ... particularly section 2, which begins (with admirable directness) "An
                      automatic responder MUST NOT blindly send a response for every message
                      received."

                      If you don't consider those recommendations, your script -- if you get
                      it working -- will do things you won't like.

                      As an example: what would your script do if it ever received a message
                      claiming to be from its own "From" address (because you sent yourself a
                      message, or because a spammer forged your own address)? It appears that
                      it would send itself an infinite loop of "On vacation" messages.

                      There are other subtle problems that are difficult to explain here, some
                      of which will cause you to annoy other people on the Internet, not just
                      yourself.

                      This is why people with experience are telling you to use existing
                      software that already takes all of this into account, instead of helping
                      you do something that's universally recognized as unwise.

                      --
                      Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/
                    • Charles Marcus
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                        On 2013-05-21 8:23 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                        > motty cruz skrev den 2013-05-21 02:04:
                        >
                        >> Does anybody have a script that work for autoresponders?
                        >
                        > try the one in postfixadmin, note it does not reply to maillists blindly

                        Well... I had a lot of trouble with it responding to a lot of things
                        that it shouldn't (facebook junk, etc).

                        The latest trunk version of the vacation script has a new variable and
                        test function that lets the admin easily add new strings to test for in
                        the From/MailFrom (envelope and headers) that will result in not sending
                        the vacation message.

                        I highly recommend using the new version if you decide to use it. It is
                        very effective now for my purposes.

                        --

                        Best regards,

                        Charles
                      • motty cruz
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                          Thank your suggestions, do you mind pointing to a source for vacation script? I'm using FreeBSD

                          I tried to use Autoreply Software from here: http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#autoreply

                          but one requires Java and the other works with LDAP, I don't have LDAP and I'm not willing to use Java.

                          Thank you for your help!

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                            Please don't top-post - response inline below...

                            On 2013-05-21 8:23 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                            motty cruz skrev den 2013-05-21 02:04:

                            Does anybody have a script that work for autoresponders?

                            try the one in postfixadmin, note it does not reply to maillists blindly

                            Well... I had a lot of trouble with it responding to a lot of things that it shouldn't (facebook junk, etc).

                            The latest trunk version of the vacation script has a new variable and test function that lets the admin easily add new strings to test for in the From/MailFrom (envelope and headers) that will result in not sending the vacation message.

                            I highly recommend using the new version if you decide to use it. It is very effective now for my purposes.

                            Thank your suggestions, do you mind pointing to a source for vacation script? I'm using FreeBSD

                            Thank you for your help!

                            My apologies... I see that Rudi still hasn't merged the last version of these changes to the trunk version. I just pinged him to see if he will do so, but until then, here is his latest version:

                            https://github.com/valkum/postfixadmin/blob/cdcccddbe2e1d6758cd63899e7b8973156f1412a/VIRTUAL_VACATION/vacation.pl

                            It has been running on my system for months now, and works great. Reduced the number of bogus responses from many per day per user, to virtually none, with my expanded custom no_reply string:

                            $noreply_pattern = 'alert|autoreply|auto-reply|bounce|constantcontact|do-not-reply|facebook|linkedin|list-|listserv|mailer|majordomo|myspace|newsletter|noreply|no-reply|owner\-|\-(owner|request|bounces)|postmaster|request\-|twitter';

                            --

                            Best regards,

                            Charles

                          • motty cruz
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                              thank you soo much Charles,
                              I was able to download that script you pointed in the last email,

                              now this maybe dumb questions but I would like to deploy this script on the spam filter level before reaching our imap/pop server. At the spam filter level I don't have a database for users,

                              I was  hoping to find something simple that can be implemented at the spam filter level when email bound to user on vacation can be reply automatically. maybe i dream about having this feature or i have seen it before?

                              I really appreciated your help!
                              Thanks Again,

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 22, 2013
                                Again - please do not top-post. If you don't know what that means,
                                google is your friend.

                                On 2013-05-22 12:42 PM, motty cruz <motty.cruz@...> wrote:
                                > thank you soo much Charles,
                                > I was able to download that script you pointed in the last email,

                                You're welcome.

                                > now this maybe dumb questions but I would like to deploy this script
                                > on the spam filter level before reaching our imap/pop server. At the
                                > spam filter level I don't have a database for users,

                                ?? Think about what you just said. How are you going to control sending
                                Vacation messages for only specific users (some will have it enabled,
                                some won't), if you don't have access to the user database?

                                Also, you need to clarify what you mean by 'spam filter'. There are
                                certain spam checks that are very cheap and can be applied early in the
                                smtp transaction (before recipient verification).

                                But more expensive *content* filters should never be wasted on invalid
                                users, so should only be applied *after* recipient verification.

                                Determining whether or not to send a Vacation message is one of the (if
                                not *the*) *last* stages in email delivery, *long* after any
                                spam/content filters.

                                > I was hoping to find something simple that can be implemented at the
                                > spam filter level when email bound to user on vacation can be reply
                                > automatically. maybe i dream about having this feature or i have seen
                                > it before?

                                No, you're not dreaming, you're just not thinking through how it must work.

                                --

                                Best regards,

                                Charles