virtual user (unknown user)

  • postfixml@...
    Message 1 of 14 , May 16, 2013
      Hi folks! After read many howto I try to use virtual user.

      I understand that user@domain2 goes to user@domain1. I need that
      user@domain2 goes to user@domain2 mailbox:

      virtual_alias_domains = nuvolabianca.org

      virtual_mailbox_domains = nuvolabianca.org
      virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vhosts/
      virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
      virtual_minimum_uid = 100
      virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
      virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

      cat virtual:

      fred@... fred

      log:

      fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237: to=<fred@...>,
      relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
      status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")

      Now: fuckaround.org is primary domain and nuvolabianca.org is a real
      domain with virtual host.

      postfix transform fred@... to fred@... (fred is
      not exist on my system).

      I followed this howto:

      http://dannorth.net/2007/09/09/virtual-mailboxes-with-courier-imap-and-postfix/

      any idea?

      thanks!
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16, 2013
        postfixml@...:
        > fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237: to=<fred@...>,
        > relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
        > status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")

        You use local(8). As documented "fred" MUST exist as a UNIX system
        account name, or as an alias in the LOCAL (NOT virtual) aliases(5)
        file (typically named /etc/aliases or similar).

        But, you also use virtual_mailbox_domains etc. Why do you use
        local(8) for mailbox delivery?

        Wietse
      • Pol Hallen
        Message 3 of 14 , May 16, 2013
          > You use local(8). As documented "fred" MUST exist as a UNIX system
          > account name, or as an alias in the LOCAL (NOT virtual) aliases(5)
          > file (typically named /etc/aliases or similar).

          HI and thanks for your reply :-)

          I've this line:

          mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION" DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
          MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

          How add "fred" to /etc/aliases?

          ie:

          postmaster: root (but root of primary domain)

          fred --> is virtual user (second.domain)

          and if I've 3 domains with 3 same username: fred@...,
          fred@..., fred@...,

          how resolve?

          > But, you also use virtual_mailbox_domains etc. Why do you use
          > local(8) for mailbox delivery?

          where I check what I use for mailbox delivery?

          thanks!

          Pol
          Message 4 of 14 , May 16, 2013
            Pol Hallen:
            > > You use local(8). As documented "fred" MUST exist as a UNIX system
            > > account name, or as an alias in the LOCAL (NOT virtual) aliases(5)
            > > file (typically named /etc/aliases or similar).
            >
            > HI and thanks for your reply :-)
            >
            > I've this line:
            >
            > mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION" DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
            > MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

            Why are you giving mail for "fred" to the local(8) delivery agent?

            Wietse
          • Pol Hallen
            Message 5 of 14 , May 16, 2013
              > Why are you giving mail for "fred" to the local(8) delivery agent?

              Sorry :-) Tell me how does not give to "fred".

              Also commenting the line with mailbox_command, I don't understand how
              delivery mail to virtual host users.

              thanks
              Message 6 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                Pol Hallen:
                > > Why are you giving mail for "fred" to the local(8) delivery agent?
                >
                > Sorry :-) Tell me how does not give to "fred".

                You try to deliver mail for fred@domain-that-resolves-to-local(8)

                Why?

                - Is this the wrong domain name? What shuold it be instead?

                - Is this the right domain name but the wrong delivery agent?

                - None of the above?

                Wietse
              • Pol Hallen
                Message 7 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                  > - Is this the right domain name but the wrong delivery agent?

                  myhostname = server1.fuckaround.org
                  mydomain = fuckaround.org
                • Ansgar Wiechers
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                    On 2013-05-16 postfixml@... wrote:
                    > I understand that user@domain2 goes to user@domain1. I need that
                    > user@domain2 goes to user@domain2 mailbox:
                    >
                    > virtual_alias_domains = nuvolabianca.org
                    > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                    >
                    > virtual_mailbox_domains = nuvolabianca.org
                    > virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vhosts/
                    > virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
                    > virtual_minimum_uid = 100
                    > virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
                    > virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                    >
                    > cat virtual:
                    >
                    > fred@... fred

                    $virtual_alias_maps can (among other things) be used for mapping virtual
                    (alias and mailbox) addresses to local addresses, which is what you're
                    doing in the line above. Basically

                    fred@... fred

                    is the same as

                    fred@... fred@...

                    Remove that line from /etc/postfix/virtual (don't forget to re-hash it
                    afterwards) and make sure you have a proper entry for the address in
                    /etc/postfix/vmailbox.

                    All of this is explained rather well in the documentation[1].

                    [1] http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

                    Regards
                    Ansgar Wiechers
                    --Joel Spolsky
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                      Pol Hallen:
                      > > - Is this the right domain name but the wrong delivery agent?
                      >
                      > myhostname = server1.fuckaround.org
                      > mydomain = fuckaround.org

                      If this is the right domain but wrong delivery agent, see
                      http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html which describes
                      how Postfix selects the "known user" info and the delivery agent.

                      This converstation is progressing too slowly. Someone with more
                      patience may like to step in. I have to attend other things now.

                      Wietse
                    • Ansgar Wiechers
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                        Please keep this conversation on-list. I don't do personal support for
                        free.

                        On 2013-05-16 Pol Hallen wrote:
                        >> Remove that line from /etc/postfix/virtual (don't forget to re-hash
                        >> it afterwards) and make sure you have a proper entry for the address
                        >> in /etc/postfix/vmailbox.
                        >>
                        >> All of this is explained rather well in the documentation[1].
                        >>
                        >> [1] http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
                        >
                        > all day to study how resolve this problem but nothing... I read and
                        > re-read the link but nothing :-/
                        >
                        > What I should be?

                        I already told you what to do, aside from reading the documentation.
                        Have you removed the line from /etc/postfix/virtual? What is the output
                        of the following commands:

                        postmap -q fred@... hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                        postmap -q fred@... hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox

                        Regards
                        Ansgar Wiechers
                        --Joel Spolsky
                      • Benny Pedersen
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                          postfixml@... skrev den 2013-05-16 14:10:

                          > fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237:
                          > to=<fred@...>,
                          > relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
                          > status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")

                          useradd fred

                          fred is not yet an unix user :=)

                        • Ansgar Wiechers
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                            On 2013-05-17 Benny Pedersen wrote:
                            > postfixml@... skrev den 2013-05-16 14:10:
                            >> fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237:
                            >> to=<fred@...>,
                            >> relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
                            >> status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")
                            >
                            > useradd fred
                            >
                            > fred is not yet an unix user :=)

                            Quoting from the original mail:

                            > After read many howto I try to use virtual user.

                            He seems to want fred to be a virtual (mailbox) user.

                            Regards
                            Ansgar Wiechers
                            --Joel Spolsky
                          • Benny Pedersen
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                              Ansgar Wiechers skrev den 2013-05-18 17:27:

                              > He seems to want fred to be a virtual (mailbox) user.

                              in that case he should not list fuckaround dot org in mydestination,
                              but in virtual_mailbox_domains

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                                On 2013-05-18 Benny Pedersen wrote:
                                > Ansgar Wiechers skrev den 2013-05-18 17:27:
                                >> He seems to want fred to be a virtual (mailbox) user.
                                >
                                > in that case he should not list fuckaround dot org in mydestination,
                                > but in virtual_mailbox_domains

                                No, he shouldn't. Please carefully re-read his mail. He has a virtual
                                mailbox domain nuvolabianca.org and sends mail to fred@....
                                His problem is that this address is translated to a (non-existing) local
                                mailbox due to a spurious mapping in /etc/postfix/virtual.

                                Regards
                                Ansgar Wiechers
                                --Joel Spolsky