Re: Postfix not speaking with amavis?

    Message 1 of 19 , May 15 5:21 PM
      Viktor Dukhovni:
      > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
      >
      > > You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
      > > based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
      > > no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
      > > buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
      > > date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.
      >
      > [ Editorial comment. ]
      >
      > With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
      > try to not pick up too much of the slack...

      +1

      Keep it friendly, Stan!

      Wietse
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 2 of 19 , May 16 5:27 AM
        On 5/15/2013 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > Viktor Dukhovni:
        >> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
        >>
        >>> You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
        >>> based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
        >>> no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
        >>> buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
        >>> date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.
        >>
        >> [ Editorial comment. ]
        >>
        >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
        >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
        >
        > +1
        >
        > Keep it friendly, Stan!

        Bah, you're both New Yorkers so you surely must be plenty familiar with
        sarcasm. Ok, Wietse lives a little farther up state and spends all of
        his time at home or in the funny shaped IBM building with no windows, so
        he may not see that much sarcasm. ;) But Viktor you've worked in the
        city, may still, and you may live there for all I know, so surely you
        see sarcasm every day. But it's not just part of New York culture, but
        American culture. It's a powerful literary tool used by hundreds of
        thousands of publications and people daily.

        Sure, Reindl used sarcasm, but he also cursed at people and called them
        stupid, among other things. This was my beef with him. I don't do such
        things. Lumping me in with Reindl simply for using sarcasm is painting
        with a very broad brush and simply not kosher.

        If you want to make it a blanket rule that straight sarcasm is not
        allowed on the list then I'll abide by that. I think that would be
        pretty silly, given that sarcasm permeates our society, at least
        American society. Apparently you two don't watch Leno, Letterman, any
        late night comics, as sarcasm abounds on such shows, to name only a few.
        Of course they say it with a smile.

        If I'd added a winky at the end, would that have prevented all of this?
        As I'd have said it with a smile? Making it "lighter" and not
        perceived as being rude?

        Sheesh...

        --
        Stan
        Message 3 of 19 , May 16 5:45 AM
          Stan Hoeppner:
          > On 5/15/2013 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > > Viktor Dukhovni:

          > >> [ Editorial comment. ]
          > >>
          > >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
          > >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
          > >
          > > +1
          > >
          > > Keep it friendly, Stan!
          >
          > Bah, you're both New Yorkers so you surely must be plenty familiar with
          > sarcasm. Ok, Wietse lives a little farther up state and spends all of

          Stan, Viktor and I were looking from the perspective of the receiver,
          i.e. the person whose question you replied to. The odds are good
          that their cultural background differs from yours. In fact, the far
          majority of people do not have English as their primary language.

          One well-known limitation of email is that it is single-modal. The
          receiver does not get any hints from voice, face expression or body
          language that a response is sarcastic or not.

          So, keep it friendly, and if you must add sarcasm, make it plenty
          redundantly clear. Recall that a lot of nuance/innuendo/jokes will
          not come across as most people are not native English speakers.

          Message 4 of 19 , May 16 7:18 AM
            On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 07:27:59AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

            [begin hostility]
> [...]
            [end hostility]

            [begin sarcasm]
            [end sarcasm]

            > >> [ Editorial comment. ]
            > >>
            > >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
            > >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
            > >
            > > +1
            > >
            > > Keep it friendly, Stan!

            > Sure, Reindl used sarcasm, but he also cursed at people and called them
            > stupid, among other things. This was my beef with him. I don't do such
            > things. Lumping me in with Reindl simply for using sarcasm is painting
            > with a very broad brush and simply not kosher.

            Chill out and keep it civil. Thanks.

            > If you want to make it a blanket rule that straight sarcasm is not
            > allowed on the list then I'll abide by that.

            Give it a try, sarcasm on public mailing lists is not terribly useful.

            > If I'd added a winky at the end, would that have prevented all of this?

            Probably not. Just think it to yourself, smile if you enjoyed the
            wit and don't mail it.