RE: Postfix not speaking with amavis?

  • Postfix
    Message 1 of 19 , May 15, 2013
      I assume this is why my mail is not being delivered, but how does a process
      use a non existing user id?
      There are no files on the system with that id, and no processes that I see
      running with that user id.

      Unless amavis or postfix is coming hardwired with this user id, how can I
      possibly find what is using it?
      This is a new setup with not much on it.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 15, 2013
        Postfix:
        > postfix/sendmail[29314]: fatal: no login name found for user ID 1095

        Wietse:
        > Some process with UID=1095 invoked the Postfix sendmail command.

        Postfix:
        > I assume this is why my mail is not being delivered, but how does a process
        > use a non existing user id?

        Perhaps the Postfix sendmail command is invoked by a program
        that has no read permission for the UNIX password database.

        Check your SElinux, AppArmor, etc. logs for warnings.

        Wietse
      • Postfix
        Message 3 of 19 , May 15, 2013
          The passwd file is world readable.

          The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the postfix/hold
          folder?
          I have removed amavis as an option from master and main .cf

          Postqueue -f does nothing that I can see, there are no errors in the log
          file, all outgoing and incoming mail stays in the hold folder.

          What is the next step postfix should do after mail is in the hold folder?

          > postfix/sendmail[29314]: fatal: no login name found for user ID 1095

          Wietse:
          > Some process with UID=1095 invoked the Postfix sendmail command.

          Postfix:
          > I assume this is why my mail is not being delivered, but how does a
          > process use a non existing user id?

          Perhaps the Postfix sendmail command is invoked by a program that has no
          read permission for the UNIX password database.

          Check your SElinux, AppArmor, etc. logs for warnings.

          Wietse
        • /dev/rob0
          Message 4 of 19 , May 15, 2013
            You are playing guessing games with the author of Postfix. Please
            don't waste his time like that. Also, he has been fixing your top-
            posting. Please stop doing that, also. Thank you.

            On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:10:35AM -0700, Postfix wrote:
            > The passwd file is world readable.

            Fine. However, this did not address the SElinux, AppArmor, et c.
            issues. Another possible guess is that you're using one of the Linux
            distributions which unwisely changed the upstream Postfix default of
            no chrooted services in master.cf.

            > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the
            > postfix/hold folder?

            Is it? I thought it was "Postfix not speaking with amavis?" This is
            the first mention of the "postfix/hold folder", by which I suppose
            you mean the hold queue.

            Postfix does nothing with the hold queue unless/until instructed to
            do so. It's on "hold". See "man postsuper", -h|-H, and "man qmgr",
            section MAIL QUEUES, hold.

            > I have removed amavis as an option from master and main .cf

            Sometimes this requires a requeue of already-queued messages which
            were set to go through amavisd. See "man postsuper" again, -r this
            time.

            > Postqueue -f does nothing that I can see, there are no errors in
            > the log file, all outgoing and incoming mail stays in the hold
            > folder.
            >
            > What is the next step postfix should do after mail is in the hold
            > folder?

            Nothing. It's on "hold" until you release it.

            One might wonder how/why this mail is on hold, but I won't ask.
            Instead, I will ask you to review this link before posting again:

            That is likely to get to the root of the problem with no further
            guessing.
            Message 5 of 19 , May 15, 2013
              Postfix:
              > The passwd file is world readable.
              >
              > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the postfix/hold
              > folder?

              There is no message in the queue. Postfix NEVER ACCEPTED THE MAIL.

              Message 6 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                Wietse Venema:
                > Postfix:
                > > The passwd file is world readable.
                > >
                > > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the postfix/hold
                > > folder?
                >
                > There is no message in the queue. Postfix NEVER ACCEPTED THE MAIL.

                Oops, if the message came from a content filter, there will be
                a message in the deferred queue that awaits processing by the filter.

                Wietse
              • Postfix
                Message 7 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                  Wietse Venema:
                  > Postfix:
                  > > The passwd file is world readable.
                  > >
                  > > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the
                  > > postfix/hold folder?
                  >
                  > There is no message in the queue. Postfix NEVER ACCEPTED THE MAIL.

                  >Oops, if the message came from a content filter, there will be a message in
                  the deferred queue that awaits processing by the filter.

                  > Wietse

                  Thanks, I am misunderstanding how postfix handles mail. I had assumed
                  incoming mail is put into the hold folder, then from there any filtering
                  software like amavis or mailscanner would pick it up scan it then pass it
                  back to postfix where it would then get put into the other queues.

                  I have given up and re-imaged the server, going to try from scratch again. I
                  have done a few postfix setups before this with postfix and mailscanner with
                  no problems, but this has been my first attempt at using amavis.
                  I messed around with the server settings, figure it would be good to start
                  over.

                  Maybe the problem is I have used the amavis debian packages but then
                  compiled postfix from source. I would like to use the latest postfix, but
                  maybe I have to stick with the debian package of postfix even though it is
                  out of date.
                • Quanah Gibson-Mount
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                    --On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:08 PM -0700 Postfix
                    <postfix_list@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, I am misunderstanding how postfix handles mail. I had assumed
                    > incoming mail is put into the hold folder, then from there any filtering
                    > software like amavis or mailscanner would pick it up scan it then pass it
                    > back to postfix where it would then get put into the other queues.

                    If you're really bored, you could download Zimbra FOSS edition and install
                    it just to look at how postfix is configured to talk with Amavis (and SA
                    via Amavis).

                    --Quanah

                    --

                    Quanah Gibson-Mount
                    Sr. Member of Technical Staff
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                      On 5/15/2013 5:08 PM, Postfix wrote:

                      > Thanks, I am misunderstanding how postfix handles mail. I had assumed
                      > incoming mail is put into the hold folder, then from there any filtering
                      > software like amavis or mailscanner would pick it up scan it then pass it
                      > back to postfix where it would then get put into the other queues.

                      This is not how it works. Postfix/amavisd may communicate via SMTP,
                      LMTP, or through a Unix pipe or inet socket. Amavisd never reads files
                      directly from Postfix queues.

                      You are confused because you have previously used Mailscanner, which is
                      not supported by Postfix. It is not supported precisely because of the
                      way it manipulates files directly in Postfix queue directories instead
                      of using a supported Postfix API.
                      > Maybe the problem is I have used the amavis debian packages but then
                      > compiled postfix from source. I would like to use the latest postfix, but
                      > maybe I have to stick with the debian package of postfix even though it is
                      > out of date.

                      I think your problem is that you simply haven't learned enough yet and
                      have not configured the interfaces properly.

                      And your definition of "out of date", your thinking here, is flawed.
                      Debian Stable 7 was just released and includes Postfix 2.9.6, which is
                      the most recent 2.9 upstream patch level. Only Wietse's current
                      upstream stable, is 2.10 patch level 0, is newer. If you'd look at the
                      2.10 change log you'd see that you likely don't the few additional new
                      features not in 2.9.6. You also likely don't need 80% or more of the
                      Postfix features going back to Postfix 2.0.

                      You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                      based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                      no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                      buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                      date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.

                      --
                      Stan
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                        On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

                        > You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                        > based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                        > no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                        > buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                        > date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.

                        [ Editorial comment. ]

                        With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                        try to not pick up too much of the slack...

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                          Viktor Dukhovni:
                          > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
                          >
                          > > You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                          > > based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                          > > no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                          > > buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                          > > date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.
                          >
                          > [ Editorial comment. ]
                          >
                          > With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                          > try to not pick up too much of the slack...

                          +1

                          Keep it friendly, Stan!

                          Wietse
                        • Stan Hoeppner
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 16, 2013
                            On 5/15/2013 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                            > Viktor Dukhovni:
                            >> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                            >>> based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                            >>> no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                            >>> buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                            >>> date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.
                            >>
                            >> [ Editorial comment. ]
                            >>
                            >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                            >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
                            >
                            > +1
                            >
                            > Keep it friendly, Stan!

                            Bah, you're both New Yorkers so you surely must be plenty familiar with
                            sarcasm. Ok, Wietse lives a little farther up state and spends all of
                            his time at home or in the funny shaped IBM building with no windows, so
                            he may not see that much sarcasm. ;) But Viktor you've worked in the
                            city, may still, and you may live there for all I know, so surely you
                            see sarcasm every day. But it's not just part of New York culture, but
                            American culture. It's a powerful literary tool used by hundreds of
                            thousands of publications and people daily.

                            Sure, Reindl used sarcasm, but he also cursed at people and called them
                            stupid, among other things. This was my beef with him. I don't do such
                            things. Lumping me in with Reindl simply for using sarcasm is painting
                            with a very broad brush and simply not kosher.

                            If you want to make it a blanket rule that straight sarcasm is not
                            allowed on the list then I'll abide by that. I think that would be
                            pretty silly, given that sarcasm permeates our society, at least
                            American society. Apparently you two don't watch Leno, Letterman, any
                            late night comics, as sarcasm abounds on such shows, to name only a few.
                            Of course they say it with a smile.

                            If I'd added a winky at the end, would that have prevented all of this?
                            As I'd have said it with a smile? Making it "lighter" and not
                            perceived as being rude?

                            Sheesh...

                            --
                            Stan
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 16, 2013
                              Stan Hoeppner:
                              > On 5/15/2013 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                              > > Viktor Dukhovni:

                              > >> [ Editorial comment. ]
                              > >>
                              > >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                              > >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
                              > >
                              > > +1
                              > >
                              > > Keep it friendly, Stan!
                              >
                              > Bah, you're both New Yorkers so you surely must be plenty familiar with
                              > sarcasm. Ok, Wietse lives a little farther up state and spends all of

                              Stan, Viktor and I were looking from the perspective of the receiver,
                              i.e. the person whose question you replied to. The odds are good
                              that their cultural background differs from yours. In fact, the far
                              majority of people do not have English as their primary language.

                              One well-known limitation of email is that it is single-modal. The
                              receiver does not get any hints from voice, face expression or body
                              language that a response is sarcastic or not.

                              So, keep it friendly, and if you must add sarcasm, make it plenty
                              redundantly clear. Recall that a lot of nuance/innuendo/jokes will
                              not come across as most people are not native English speakers.

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 16, 2013
                                On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 07:27:59AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

                                [begin hostility]
> [...]
                                [end hostility]

                                [begin sarcasm]
                                [end sarcasm]

                                > >> [ Editorial comment. ]
                                > >>
                                > >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                                > >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
                                > >
                                > > +1
                                > >
                                > > Keep it friendly, Stan!

                                > Sure, Reindl used sarcasm, but he also cursed at people and called them
                                > stupid, among other things. This was my beef with him. I don't do such
                                > things. Lumping me in with Reindl simply for using sarcasm is painting
                                > with a very broad brush and simply not kosher.

                                Chill out and keep it civil. Thanks.

                                > If you want to make it a blanket rule that straight sarcasm is not
                                > allowed on the list then I'll abide by that.

                                Give it a try, sarcasm on public mailing lists is not terribly useful.

                                > If I'd added a winky at the end, would that have prevented all of this?

                                Probably not. Just think it to yourself, smile if you enjoyed the
                                wit and don't mail it.