Re: Restrictions after postscreen

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 67 , May 14, 2013
      On 5/14/2013 11:45 AM, Steve Jenkins wrote:
      > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM, /dev/rob0 <rob0@...> wrote:
      >
      >> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 07:49:50AM -0700, Steve Jenkins wrote:
      >>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
      >>> reject_invalid_helo_hostname,
      >>> warn_if_reject reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
      >>> reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
      >>> warn_if_reject reject_unknown_helo_hostname,
      >>> check_reverse_client_hostname_access
      >> pcre:/etc/postfix/fqrdns.pcre,
      >>> check_helo_access hash:/etc/postfix/helo_access,
      >>> check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access,
      >>> reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
      >>> reject_rhsbl_client dbl.spamhaus.org,
      >>> reject_rhsbl_sender dbl.spamhaus.org,
      >>> reject_rhsbl_helo dbl.spamhaus.org,
      >>> permit_dnswl_client list.dnswl.org=127.0.[0..255].[1..3],
      >>> permit
      >>
      >> The last two lines are no-op. If you have anything you want to be
      >> subjected to the list.dnswl.org whitelist, put it after the
      >> permit_dnswl_client. If not, there is no point in querying it.
      >

      > Excellent point. If the next step is going to "permit" anyway, then no use
      > in the extra query. I've moved the dnswl.org line up so that it's just
      > above the three "local" check_* lines.

      "permits" always come before "rejects". Thus whitelist type entries
      should always be at the top of the restrictions list. As you are using
      (client|helo|sender|recipient) sections any whitelisting in
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions should typically be at the very top.

      permit_dnswl_client list.dnswl.org=127.0.[0..255].[1..3]
      ^^^^^^ ^^^^

      This shows you are explicitly permitting anything/everything listed in
      the dnswl. Are you sure that is what you want? I use...

      permit_dnswl_client list.dnswl.org=127.0.[2..14].[2..3]

      which does not explicitly permit email marketing providers nor any IP
      with trustworthiness score of 1. A score of 1 is equivalent to a
      SpamAssassin score of -1, which does not merit a direct shot to the
      queue. That would typically require an SA score of -5. I want these
      clients to go through all of my other restrictions before allowing their
      payload into my queue.

      Also worth noting, there are currently only 14 categories (3rd octet of
      a reply), so specifying 255 is not necessary, and possibly problematic.
      Hypothetically, if dnswl decided one day to create categories 16,
      political campaigns, and 17, religious newsletters, you are currently
      setup to automatically permit such clients.

      Remember, the sole purpose of whitelisting is to bypass all of your
      other spam checks and get the mail into your queue unmolested. IMO, not
      every IP listed by dnswl is deserving of this honor, not even close to
      all of them.

      See section "Return codes" at: http://www.dnswl.org/tech

      --
      Stan