Re: smtp threads not spawning?

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2013
      Wietse:

      On 5/13/2013 5:29 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      >> Yes, at the time of each incident, there are a few threads that
      >> eventually time out and throw a few emails into the deferred queue. That
      >> does not concern me. What concerns me is that while Postfix is waiting
      >> for these few threads to time out, the active queue is completely
      >> ignored and is growing rapidly.
      > The queue manager WILL NOT READ THE QUEUE when the maximum
      > number of processes is delivering mail,

      Understood. During these incidents, we are no where close to the
      maximum number of processes.

      > or when the maximum
      > concurrency per destination is reached.
      >
      > So while those processes are timing out talking to a broken device,
      > the queue manager WILL NOT READ THE QUEUE.

      In the cases where this has happened, the processes that are talking to
      the broken device/destination are only utilizing a handful of smtp
      processes, during which time, the active queue is building up a huge
      backlog with messages that *do* have deliverable destinations.

      After this small handful of processes finally time out, that is when the
      flood gates open, and Postfix again starts delivering successfully
      again... it is then that it starts using 110 processes in an effort to
      catch up. I am trying to determine what is causing Postfix to wait
      until every last process times out before it starts spawning new threads.

      I'm out of time today. Hopefully I'll have time in the morning to
      respond to the list of questions from Viktor Dukhovni... perhaps in the
      process of answering his questions I'll stumble into what's causing my
      issue.

      Thanks for your efforts... they are appreciated.

      Curtis