RE: Postfix not speaking with amavis?

  • Postfix
    Message 1 of 19 , May 9, 2013
      The logs don't have any errors for postfix. Postfix shows it receiving
      email, etc.

      Telnet gives me a response from amavis new.

      The only thing I see in the logs related to amavis that might be an error
      is:

      May 9 11:18:01 /USR/SBIN/CRON[22335]: (amavis) CMD (test -e
      /usr/sbin/amavisd-new-cronjob && /usr/sbin/amavisd-new-cronjob sa-sync)
      May 9 11:18:01 /USR/SBIN/CRON[22334]: (amavis) MAIL (mailed 1 byte of
      output; but got status 0x004b, #012)

      Not sure what that means. If I run "/usr/sbin/amavisd-new-cronjob sa-sync"
      manually I don't get an error.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 15, 2013

        I have a feeling it has something to do with this:

        postfix/sendmail[29314]: fatal: no login name found for user ID 1095

        Why is postfix trying to use a non existing user? I did not compile it with any preset users and I do have the postfix user and group, where is it getting that user id from?

        Message 3 of 19 , May 15, 2013
          Postfix:
          > I have a feeling it has something to do with this:
          >
          > postfix/sendmail[29314]: fatal: no login name found for user ID 1095

          Some process with UID=1095 invoked the Postfix sendmail command.

          > Why is postfix trying to use a non existing user? I did not compile it with

          Wrong question.

          Right question:

          "Why do I have processes with an UID that has no password file entry?"

          Wietse
        • Postfix
          Message 4 of 19 , May 15, 2013
            I assume this is why my mail is not being delivered, but how does a process
            use a non existing user id?
            There are no files on the system with that id, and no processes that I see
            running with that user id.

            Unless amavis or postfix is coming hardwired with this user id, how can I
            possibly find what is using it?
            This is a new setup with not much on it.

            Message 5 of 19 , May 15, 2013
              Postfix:
              > postfix/sendmail[29314]: fatal: no login name found for user ID 1095

              Wietse:
              > Some process with UID=1095 invoked the Postfix sendmail command.

              Postfix:
              > I assume this is why my mail is not being delivered, but how does a process
              > use a non existing user id?

              Perhaps the Postfix sendmail command is invoked by a program
              that has no read permission for the UNIX password database.

              Check your SElinux, AppArmor, etc. logs for warnings.

              Wietse
            • Postfix
              Message 6 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                The passwd file is world readable.

                The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the postfix/hold
                folder?
                I have removed amavis as an option from master and main .cf

                Postqueue -f does nothing that I can see, there are no errors in the log
                file, all outgoing and incoming mail stays in the hold folder.

                What is the next step postfix should do after mail is in the hold folder?

                > postfix/sendmail[29314]: fatal: no login name found for user ID 1095

                Wietse:
                > Some process with UID=1095 invoked the Postfix sendmail command.

                Postfix:
                > I assume this is why my mail is not being delivered, but how does a
                > process use a non existing user id?

                Perhaps the Postfix sendmail command is invoked by a program that has no
                read permission for the UNIX password database.

                Check your SElinux, AppArmor, etc. logs for warnings.

                Wietse
              • /dev/rob0
                Message 7 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                  You are playing guessing games with the author of Postfix. Please
                  don't waste his time like that. Also, he has been fixing your top-
                  posting. Please stop doing that, also. Thank you.

                  On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:10:35AM -0700, Postfix wrote:
                  > The passwd file is world readable.

                  Fine. However, this did not address the SElinux, AppArmor, et c.
                  issues. Another possible guess is that you're using one of the Linux
                  distributions which unwisely changed the upstream Postfix default of
                  no chrooted services in master.cf.

                  > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the
                  > postfix/hold folder?

                  Is it? I thought it was "Postfix not speaking with amavis?" This is
                  the first mention of the "postfix/hold folder", by which I suppose
                  you mean the hold queue.

                  Postfix does nothing with the hold queue unless/until instructed to
                  do so. It's on "hold". See "man postsuper", -h|-H, and "man qmgr",
                  section MAIL QUEUES, hold.

                  > I have removed amavis as an option from master and main .cf

                  Sometimes this requires a requeue of already-queued messages which
                  were set to go through amavisd. See "man postsuper" again, -r this
                  time.

                  > Postqueue -f does nothing that I can see, there are no errors in
                  > the log file, all outgoing and incoming mail stays in the hold
                  > folder.
                  >
                  > What is the next step postfix should do after mail is in the hold
                  > folder?

                  Nothing. It's on "hold" until you release it.

                  One might wonder how/why this mail is on hold, but I won't ask.
                  Instead, I will ask you to review this link before posting again:

                  That is likely to get to the root of the problem with no further
                  guessing.
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                    Postfix:
                    > The passwd file is world readable.
                    >
                    > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the postfix/hold
                    > folder?

                    There is no message in the queue. Postfix NEVER ACCEPTED THE MAIL.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                      Wietse Venema:
                      > Postfix:
                      > > The passwd file is world readable.
                      > >
                      > > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the postfix/hold
                      > > folder?
                      >
                      > There is no message in the queue. Postfix NEVER ACCEPTED THE MAIL.

                      Oops, if the message came from a content filter, there will be
                      a message in the deferred queue that awaits processing by the filter.

                      Wietse
                    • Postfix
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                        Wietse Venema:
                        > Postfix:
                        > > The passwd file is world readable.
                        > >
                        > > The question is, what happens to mail after it is put into the
                        > > postfix/hold folder?
                        >
                        > There is no message in the queue. Postfix NEVER ACCEPTED THE MAIL.

                        >Oops, if the message came from a content filter, there will be a message in
                        the deferred queue that awaits processing by the filter.

                        > Wietse

                        Thanks, I am misunderstanding how postfix handles mail. I had assumed
                        incoming mail is put into the hold folder, then from there any filtering
                        software like amavis or mailscanner would pick it up scan it then pass it
                        back to postfix where it would then get put into the other queues.

                        I have given up and re-imaged the server, going to try from scratch again. I
                        have done a few postfix setups before this with postfix and mailscanner with
                        no problems, but this has been my first attempt at using amavis.
                        I messed around with the server settings, figure it would be good to start
                        over.

                        Maybe the problem is I have used the amavis debian packages but then
                        compiled postfix from source. I would like to use the latest postfix, but
                        maybe I have to stick with the debian package of postfix even though it is
                        out of date.
                      • Quanah Gibson-Mount
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                          --On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:08 PM -0700 Postfix
                          <postfix_list@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks, I am misunderstanding how postfix handles mail. I had assumed
                          > incoming mail is put into the hold folder, then from there any filtering
                          > software like amavis or mailscanner would pick it up scan it then pass it
                          > back to postfix where it would then get put into the other queues.

                          If you're really bored, you could download Zimbra FOSS edition and install
                          it just to look at how postfix is configured to talk with Amavis (and SA
                          via Amavis).

                          --Quanah

                          --

                          Quanah Gibson-Mount
                          Sr. Member of Technical Staff
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                            On 5/15/2013 5:08 PM, Postfix wrote:

                            > Thanks, I am misunderstanding how postfix handles mail. I had assumed
                            > incoming mail is put into the hold folder, then from there any filtering
                            > software like amavis or mailscanner would pick it up scan it then pass it
                            > back to postfix where it would then get put into the other queues.

                            This is not how it works. Postfix/amavisd may communicate via SMTP,
                            LMTP, or through a Unix pipe or inet socket. Amavisd never reads files
                            directly from Postfix queues.

                            You are confused because you have previously used Mailscanner, which is
                            not supported by Postfix. It is not supported precisely because of the
                            way it manipulates files directly in Postfix queue directories instead
                            of using a supported Postfix API.
                            > Maybe the problem is I have used the amavis debian packages but then
                            > compiled postfix from source. I would like to use the latest postfix, but
                            > maybe I have to stick with the debian package of postfix even though it is
                            > out of date.

                            I think your problem is that you simply haven't learned enough yet and
                            have not configured the interfaces properly.

                            And your definition of "out of date", your thinking here, is flawed.
                            Debian Stable 7 was just released and includes Postfix 2.9.6, which is
                            the most recent 2.9 upstream patch level. Only Wietse's current
                            upstream stable, is 2.10 patch level 0, is newer. If you'd look at the
                            2.10 change log you'd see that you likely don't the few additional new
                            features not in 2.9.6. You also likely don't need 80% or more of the
                            Postfix features going back to Postfix 2.0.

                            You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                            based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                            no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                            buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                            date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.

                            --
                            Stan
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                              On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

                              > You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                              > based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                              > no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                              > buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                              > date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.

                              [ Editorial comment. ]

                              With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                              try to not pick up too much of the slack...

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 15, 2013
                                Viktor Dukhovni:
                                > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
                                >
                                > > You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                                > > based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                                > > no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                                > > buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                                > > date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.
                                >
                                > [ Editorial comment. ]
                                >
                                > With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                                > try to not pick up too much of the slack...

                                +1

                                Keep it friendly, Stan!

                                Wietse
                              • Stan Hoeppner
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 16, 2013
                                  On 5/15/2013 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                                  > Viktor Dukhovni:
                                  >> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> You're making incorrect assumptions about the usefulness of software
                                  >>> based solely on revision numbers, of which you apparently have little or
                                  >>> no understanding. You must be a very wealthy man, as you most certainly
                                  >>> buy a new car on Jan 1 of each year, as your current car must be "out of
                                  >>> date" at that point, i.e. 2012 vs 2013.
                                  >>
                                  >> [ Editorial comment. ]
                                  >>
                                  >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                                  >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
                                  >
                                  > +1
                                  >
                                  > Keep it friendly, Stan!

                                  Bah, you're both New Yorkers so you surely must be plenty familiar with
                                  sarcasm. Ok, Wietse lives a little farther up state and spends all of
                                  his time at home or in the funny shaped IBM building with no windows, so
                                  he may not see that much sarcasm. ;) But Viktor you've worked in the
                                  city, may still, and you may live there for all I know, so surely you
                                  see sarcasm every day. But it's not just part of New York culture, but
                                  American culture. It's a powerful literary tool used by hundreds of
                                  thousands of publications and people daily.

                                  Sure, Reindl used sarcasm, but he also cursed at people and called them
                                  stupid, among other things. This was my beef with him. I don't do such
                                  things. Lumping me in with Reindl simply for using sarcasm is painting
                                  with a very broad brush and simply not kosher.

                                  If you want to make it a blanket rule that straight sarcasm is not
                                  allowed on the list then I'll abide by that. I think that would be
                                  pretty silly, given that sarcasm permeates our society, at least
                                  American society. Apparently you two don't watch Leno, Letterman, any
                                  late night comics, as sarcasm abounds on such shows, to name only a few.
                                  Of course they say it with a smile.

                                  If I'd added a winky at the end, would that have prevented all of this?
                                  As I'd have said it with a smile? Making it "lighter" and not
                                  perceived as being rude?

                                  Sheesh...

                                  --
                                  Stan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 16, 2013
                                    Stan Hoeppner:
                                    > On 5/15/2013 7:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                                    > > Viktor Dukhovni:

                                    > >> [ Editorial comment. ]
                                    > >>
                                    > >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                                    > >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
                                    > >
                                    > > +1
                                    > >
                                    > > Keep it friendly, Stan!
                                    >
                                    > Bah, you're both New Yorkers so you surely must be plenty familiar with
                                    > sarcasm. Ok, Wietse lives a little farther up state and spends all of

                                    Stan, Viktor and I were looking from the perspective of the receiver,
                                    i.e. the person whose question you replied to. The odds are good
                                    that their cultural background differs from yours. In fact, the far
                                    majority of people do not have English as their primary language.

                                    One well-known limitation of email is that it is single-modal. The
                                    receiver does not get any hints from voice, face expression or body
                                    language that a response is sarcastic or not.

                                    So, keep it friendly, and if you must add sarcasm, make it plenty
                                    redundantly clear. Recall that a lot of nuance/innuendo/jokes will
                                    not come across as most people are not native English speakers.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 16, 2013
                                      On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 07:27:59AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

                                      [begin hostility]
> [...]
                                      [end hostility]

                                      [begin sarcasm]
                                      [end sarcasm]

                                      > >> [ Editorial comment. ]
                                      > >>
                                      > >> With Reindl off the list, in part at Stan's suggestion, Stan should
                                      > >> try to not pick up too much of the slack...
                                      > >
                                      > > +1
                                      > >
                                      > > Keep it friendly, Stan!

                                      > Sure, Reindl used sarcasm, but he also cursed at people and called them
                                      > stupid, among other things. This was my beef with him. I don't do such
                                      > things. Lumping me in with Reindl simply for using sarcasm is painting
                                      > with a very broad brush and simply not kosher.

                                      Chill out and keep it civil. Thanks.

                                      > If you want to make it a blanket rule that straight sarcasm is not
                                      > allowed on the list then I'll abide by that.

                                      Give it a try, sarcasm on public mailing lists is not terribly useful.

                                      > If I'd added a winky at the end, would that have prevented all of this?

                                      Probably not. Just think it to yourself, smile if you enjoyed the
                                      wit and don't mail it.