Re: reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname safe?

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 67 , May 7 1:18 AM
      Am 07.05.2013 03:05, schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
      > There's no mail exchanger here. The machine in question
      > (carotte.tilapin.org) just sends the mail.

      and in this case it needs a vaild PTR

      >> Don't try to run a mail exchanger on a dynamic IP address or one
      >> lacking FCrDNS. It's definitely his fault for doing so.
      >
      > Except that the machine is just the client, not a mail exchanger.

      has to do WHAT with the topic?

      >>> * one can lose rather important mail (e.g. related to work).
      >>
      >> Yes. Reread Noel's post upthread. I was the one who originally said
      >> reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname is safe, and Noel explained
      >> why: the mail you reject is also being rejected by most major
      >> receivers.
      >
      > I don't think this is really true. This may depend on the country
      > and the people one communicates with. If users still send mail from
      > an IP without rDNS, there may be a reason...

      it is true

      face it or live with mails from you rejected
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 67 of 67 , May 14 12:43 PM
        On 5/14/2013 11:45 AM, Steve Jenkins wrote:
        > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM, /dev/rob0 <rob0@...> wrote:
        >
        >> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 07:49:50AM -0700, Steve Jenkins wrote:
        >>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        >>> reject_invalid_helo_hostname,
        >>> warn_if_reject reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
        >>> reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
        >>> warn_if_reject reject_unknown_helo_hostname,
        >>> check_reverse_client_hostname_access
        >> pcre:/etc/postfix/fqrdns.pcre,
        >>> check_helo_access hash:/etc/postfix/helo_access,
        >>> check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access,
        >>> reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
        >>> reject_rhsbl_client dbl.spamhaus.org,
        >>> reject_rhsbl_sender dbl.spamhaus.org,
        >>> reject_rhsbl_helo dbl.spamhaus.org,
        >>> permit_dnswl_client list.dnswl.org=127.0.[0..255].[1..3],
        >>> permit
        >>
        >> The last two lines are no-op. If you have anything you want to be
        >> subjected to the list.dnswl.org whitelist, put it after the
        >> permit_dnswl_client. If not, there is no point in querying it.
        >

        > Excellent point. If the next step is going to "permit" anyway, then no use
        > in the extra query. I've moved the dnswl.org line up so that it's just
        > above the three "local" check_* lines.

        "permits" always come before "rejects". Thus whitelist type entries
        should always be at the top of the restrictions list. As you are using
        (client|helo|sender|recipient) sections any whitelisting in
        smtpd_recipient_restrictions should typically be at the very top.

        permit_dnswl_client list.dnswl.org=127.0.[0..255].[1..3]
        ^^^^^^ ^^^^

        This shows you are explicitly permitting anything/everything listed in
        the dnswl. Are you sure that is what you want? I use...

        permit_dnswl_client list.dnswl.org=127.0.[2..14].[2..3]

        which does not explicitly permit email marketing providers nor any IP
        with trustworthiness score of 1. A score of 1 is equivalent to a
        SpamAssassin score of -1, which does not merit a direct shot to the
        queue. That would typically require an SA score of -5. I want these
        clients to go through all of my other restrictions before allowing their
        payload into my queue.

        Also worth noting, there are currently only 14 categories (3rd octet of
        a reply), so specifying 255 is not necessary, and possibly problematic.
        Hypothetically, if dnswl decided one day to create categories 16,
        political campaigns, and 17, religious newsletters, you are currently
        setup to automatically permit such clients.

        Remember, the sole purpose of whitelisting is to bypass all of your
        other spam checks and get the mail into your queue unmolested. IMO, not
        every IP listed by dnswl is deserving of this honor, not even close to
        all of them.

        See section "Return codes" at: http://www.dnswl.org/tech

        --
        Stan