Re: ASSP -- need info

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2013
      On 2013-05-03 7:43 AM, Vijay Rajah <vijayrajah@...> wrote:
      > Hello List,
      >
      > I know this is off-topic. But this is the best place i know for this
      > question..
      >
      > Has anyone ever tried using @SSP --
      > http://www.magicvillage.de/~Fritz_Borgstedt/assp/0003D91C-8000001C/
      > <http://www.magicvillage.de/%7EFritz_Borgstedt/assp/0003D91C-8000001C/> --
      > Any reviews / comments?

      Wrong URL... here is the url for the current version:

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/assp/

      > Can i use it in place of amvisd,spamassin etc...

      Well, not in place of amavisd-new, but yes, in place of spamassassin.

      In my experience it is much better than spamassassin, but it also has
      drawbacks...

      It is one giant perl script.

      It can be problematic to configure correctly, especially if all you want
      is the content filter/Block reporting capabilities.

      Use the latest stable 2.1 (assp uses weird version scheme - the odd
      minor numbered versions (ie, 2.1.x) are the stable versions, the even
      minor numbered versions (ie 2.2.x) are the dev versions), unless you are
      willing to very closely monitor things and don't mind occasional
      breakage - the dev version is a very fast moving target, and minor
      breakage is very common.

      It isn't designed to work within amavisd-new as just a content filter
      (this is my biggest wish for it). Its content filter and end user BLOCK
      Reporting capabilities are amazing. It can be configured to work this
      way, but I haven't done so.

      It also has some very interesting features when used as intended (the
      front-end proxy) - it can split all inbound email to two separate
      destinations (postfix cannot do this without using aliases and/or one of
      the mumble_bcc features), so that each destination gets identical copies
      of all emails (ie, for an archival system, etc).

      I'd love to have the bucks to pay to develop a version of ASSP that was
      written in C, and that could be integrated into postfix's pre-queue (to
      take advantage of the ability to split all mail traffic into two
      separate streams) and post-queue (for content filtering and block
      reporting) filters using amavisd-new...

      hth...

      --

      Best regards,