Re: sender-based-routing challenge

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 4:00 PM
      Am 03.05.2013 00:40, schrieb Noel Jones:
      > Postfix transport features are global to each instance, and are
      > non-conditional. If you're using sender dependent transports, you're
      > going to have a hard time without multiple instances

      not if you are firm with mysql-tables and queries

      sender/sender-domain dependent relay hosts are no problem
      even combined with different auth-users
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 4:39 PM
        On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 11:14:23PM +0200, Michael Ionescu wrote:

        > > "C" Multiple postfix instances is the preferred solution. Postfix
        > > supports multiple instances on the same machine quite well. The
        > > added overhead to the machine is negligible. There is some extra
        > > administration, but the upside is you can easily do things that are
        > > not possible (or really ugly) in a single instance.
        > >
        > > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html
        > >

        > > -- Noel Jones
        > >

        > Thanks Noel. While this may be generally correct, I come from using
        > qmail and having to compensate its shortcomings by both extensive
        > patching and ultimately placing multiple installations on each machine.
        >
        > I do not want to go back to having multiple MTA installations on a
        > machine because of the drawbacks in administration, even in view of
        > postmulti. Therefore I am explicitly asking about the other solutions I
        > have in mind and am open for ones that I have not thought of.

        Don't confuse multiple *configuration* instances with multiple
        installation instances. You install Postfix just once. You edit
        multiple configuration files (main.cf and perhaps master.cf in each
        configuration directory), one per MTA role.

        The postmulti framework takes care of the other details. Your bias
        against multiple instances is irrational, you should be willing to
        reconsider.