Re: sender-based-routing challenge

    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2013
      On 5/2/2013 4:14 PM, Michael Ionescu wrote:

      > On 02.05.2013 17:57, Noel Jones wrote:
      >>> [...]
      >>> prequeue proxy virusfilter [...] precludes
      >>> rewriting the Received: header [...]
      >>> QUESTION 1: Is this correct?
      >>> [...]
      >>> QUESTION 2: Is there a definitive overview of all the ways postfix
      >>> detects loops and at what stages these are employed? (I mean aside from
      >>> the source code.) :-)
      >>> [...]
      >>> QUESTION 3: Can one make sender-based-routing conditional [...]?
      >>> QUESTION 4: Does this also work with an smtpd configured with a
      >>> pre-queue proxy filter?
      >>> [...]
      >>> Thanks for your insight!
      >>> Michael
      >>>

      >> "C" Multiple postfix instances is the preferred solution. Postfix
      >> supports multiple instances on the same machine quite well. The
      >> added overhead to the machine is negligible. There is some extra
      >> administration, but the upside is you can easily do things that are
      >> not possible (or really ugly) in a single instance.
      >>
      >> http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html
      >>

      >> -- Noel Jones
      >>

      > Thanks Noel. While this may be generally correct, I come from using
      > qmail and having to compensate its shortcomings by both extensive
      > patching and ultimately placing multiple installations on each machine.
      >
      > I do not want to go back to having multiple MTA installations on a
      > machine because of the drawbacks in administration, even in view of
      > postmulti. Therefore I am explicitly asking about the other solutions I
      > have in mind and am open for ones that I have not thought of.
      >
      > Michael

      Write 100 times on the blackboard: "postfix is not qmail"

      Postfix transport features are global to each instance, and are
      non-conditional. If you're using sender dependent transports, you're
      going to have a hard time without multiple instances.

      If you can use something else to correctly route the original mail,
      you have a chance of it working without multiple instances. One
      thought that comes to mind is submitting the original mail on a
      specific port that has a -o
      content_filter=smtp:[remote.smtp.server]. Another possibility is a
      policy service that examines the detects the "special" mail through
      some combination of source IP and sender, and returns FILTER
      smtp:destination when appropriate.

      -- Noel Jones
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2013
        Am 03.05.2013 00:40, schrieb Noel Jones:
        > Postfix transport features are global to each instance, and are
        > non-conditional. If you're using sender dependent transports, you're
        > going to have a hard time without multiple instances

        not if you are firm with mysql-tables and queries

        sender/sender-domain dependent relay hosts are no problem
        even combined with different auth-users
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2013
          On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 11:14:23PM +0200, Michael Ionescu wrote:

          > > "C" Multiple postfix instances is the preferred solution. Postfix
          > > supports multiple instances on the same machine quite well. The
          > > added overhead to the machine is negligible. There is some extra
          > > administration, but the upside is you can easily do things that are
          > > not possible (or really ugly) in a single instance.
          > >
          > > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html
          > >

          > > -- Noel Jones
          > >

          > Thanks Noel. While this may be generally correct, I come from using
          > qmail and having to compensate its shortcomings by both extensive
          > patching and ultimately placing multiple installations on each machine.
          >
          > I do not want to go back to having multiple MTA installations on a
          > machine because of the drawbacks in administration, even in view of
          > postmulti. Therefore I am explicitly asking about the other solutions I
          > have in mind and am open for ones that I have not thought of.

          Don't confuse multiple *configuration* instances with multiple
          installation instances. You install Postfix just once. You edit
          multiple configuration files (main.cf and perhaps master.cf in each
          configuration directory), one per MTA role.

          The postmulti framework takes care of the other details. Your bias
          against multiple instances is irrational, you should be willing to
          reconsider.