Re: attachments on bounce messages generated by postfix

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2013
      Am 02.05.2013 14:08, schrieb Charles Marcus:
      > On 2013-05-01 6:31 PM, Ben WIlliams <benwilliams@...> wrote:
      >> The version is postfix 2.3.3.
      >
      > Really? 7 yrs old, unsupported since the last patch (2.3.19) in 2009...

      stoneold yes, but unsupported not really

      [root@vmware-recovery:~]$ rpm -qa | grep postfix
      postfix-2.3.3-6.el5

      rpm -q --changelog postfix
      * Tue Jul 03 2012 Jaroslav Škarvada <jskarvad@...> - 2:2.3.3-6
      - Fixed FD leak in biff
      Resolves: rhbz#766499
      - Removed exec mode from documentation files

      * Wed Jun 27 2012 Jaroslav Škarvada <jskarvad@...> - 2:2.3.3-5
      - Packaged example scripts
      Resolves: rhbz#251677
      - Fixed recipient duplicate elimination
      Resolves: rhbz#474541
      - Compiled with mysql support
      Resolves: rhbz#502412
      - Clarified documentation about reject_invalid_helo_hostname
      Resolves: rhbz#514948
      - Fixed milter communication if single header is larger than 64k
      Resolves: rhbz#617069
      - Improved init script to check for PID
      Resolves: rhbz#645348
      - Fixed mailq, newaliases, sendmail, aliases man pages display
      Resolves: rhbz#664627
    • Charles Marcus
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2013
        On 2013-05-02 9:15 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:
        >> >Really? 7 yrs old, unsupported since the last patch (2.3.19) in 2009...
        > stoneold yes, but unsupported not really

        Unsupported according to the postfix site...

        > [root@vmware-recovery:~]$ rpm -qa | grep postfix
        > postfix-2.3.3-6.el5
        >
        > rpm -q --changelog postfix
        > * Tue Jul 03 2012 Jaroslav Škarvada<jskarvad@...> - 2:2.3.3-6

        So he should have asked on the redhat list...

        --

        Best regards,

        Charles
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2013
          Am 02.05.2013 21:16, schrieb Charles Marcus:
          >> stoneold yes, but unsupported not really
          >
          > Unsupported according to the postfix site...

          says who?

          >> [root@vmware-recovery:~]$ rpm -qa | grep postfix
          >> postfix-2.3.3-6.el5
          >>
          >> rpm -q --changelog postfix
          >> * Tue Jul 03 2012 Jaroslav Škarvada<jskarvad@...> - 2:2.3.3-6
          >
          > So he should have asked on the redhat list...

          you genius realized that the question was answered before your post?
          so why you needed to post 12 hours after the solution?

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------
          Betreff: Re: attachments on bounce messages generated by postfix
          Datum: Thu, 2 May 2013 12:13:45 +1200
          Von: Ben WIlliams <benwilliams@...>
          An: postfix-users@...

          Thanks that fixed it.

          On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@... <mailto:postfix-users@...>>
          wrote:

          On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 10:31:43AM +1200, Ben WIlliams wrote:

          > Please can someone help me understand how to configure what is attached to
          > bounce messages.
          >
          > The version is postfix 2.3.3. Originally it only attached the message
          > headers of the failed email with Content-Description: Undelivered Message
          > Headers
          >
          > Now it attaches the entire failed email with Content-Description:
          > Undelivered Message
          >
          > I would like to revert to the previous behaviour where only the headers are
          > attached to the bounce.

          This depends on the message size and the bounce size limit.

          http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_size_limit

          If you set

          bounce_size_limit = 1

          bounces will only include headers (no rfc822 message fits in a
          single byte). Postfix does not permit setting the limit to zero or less.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2013
            On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 03:16:28PM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:

            > >stoneold yes, but unsupported not really
            >
            > Unsupported according to the postfix site...
            >
            > >[root@vmware-recovery:~]$ rpm -qa | grep postfix
            > >postfix-2.3.3-6.el5
            > >
            > >rpm -q --changelog postfix
            > >* Tue Jul 03 2012 Jaroslav ?karvada<jskarvad@...> - 2:2.3.3-6
            >
            > So he should have asked on the redhat list...

            Let's not engage in sophistry. More to the point even if Redhat
            continue to fix some bugs in Postfix 2.3, other issues are resolved
            in later releases through structural improvements that are difficult
            to backport. MTA administrators should deploy Postfix releases
            that are still supported upstream (http://www.postfix.org/download.html).

          • Charles Marcus
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2013
              On 2013-05-02 3:24 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:
              > Am 02.05.2013 21:16, schrieb Charles Marcus:
              >> Unsupported according to the postfix site..

              > says who?

              Wietse?

              ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html

              Scroll down, genius. The 'no longer supported stable releases' start
              with 2.6.
            • Reindl Harald
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2013
                Am 02.05.2013 21:30, schrieb Charles Marcus:
                > On 2013-05-02 3:24 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:
                >> Am 02.05.2013 21:16, schrieb Charles Marcus:
                >>> Unsupported according to the postfix site..
                >
                >> says who?
                >
                > Wietse?
                >
                > ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html
                > Scroll down, genius. The 'no longer supported stable releases' start with 2.6

                tht's all true and fine

                but who are you creeping out of your whole 12 hours after
                one of the postfix maintainers had a simple solution with
                a one-liner to tell the world what is supported or not?
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2013
                  On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 09:33:56PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

                  > Am 02.05.2013 21:30, schrieb Charles Marcus:
                  > >
                  > >> says who?
                  > >
                  > > Wietse?
                  > >
                  > > ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html
                  > > Scroll down, genius. The 'no longer supported stable releases' start with 2.6
                  >
                  > tht's all true and fine
                  >
                  > but who are you creeping out of your whole 12 hours after
                  > one of the postfix maintainers had a simple solution with
                  > a one-liner to tell the world what is supported or not?

                  Guys please take your fight outside, thanks. Offenders will be
                  removed from the list.