Re: OT - mail archive

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013
      Am 26.04.2013 21:24, schrieb grarpamp:

      >> alternate you may use mdbox
      >> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox
      >
      > Both of these hold all messages in a single directory.
      > So sdbox would be no advantage there.
      > And mdbox does not support one message per file

      pff and you realized that the "not a file per message" is
      exactly the solution for problems with tens thousands of
      files in a folder?
    • Patrick Domack
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013
        Quoting grarpamp <grarpamp@...>:

        >> alternate you may use mdbox
        >> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox
        >
        > Both of these hold all messages in a single directory.
        > So sdbox would be no advantage there.
        > And mdbox does not support one message per file, nor
        > without metadata added to it, so those needing that for
        > other purposes would have no advantage.
        > [There is a per file limit specified in bytes, not count. It's
        > not clear what the behavior would be if a proposed new msg in
        > a new file would exceed a lesser byte limit. Perhaps a safe
        > bounce or queue.]
        >
        > I do like that they are reasonably well specified, publicly
        > on a wiki as opposed to only in source, and have a comparison
        > table of support on the parent page. All of which lead to easier
        > review and adoption by interested parties.

        It used to take me well over 2days to backup my email.

        I switched to using mdbox 2.2years ago, and I have been extreemly
        happy with it.

        Current stats on my personal mailbox is 4.8gigs compressed, holding
        8.3gigs of email.
        470k emails in 300 mdbox files (exactly 300 currently), the current
        mdbox file number is 850

        I purge emails weekly out of my mdbox files.

        So with my average mailfolder holding 10k+ emails with maildir, or 300
        files in a folder for mdbox, mdbox wins for me.

        I never switched to dbox, but the gains with using it are also
        available for using mdbox, you can use single instance storage, and
        archival storage. I think the limit is using 3 different paths to hold
        your dbox/mdbox files.
      • grarpamp
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013

          > pff and you realized that the "not a file per message" is
          > exactly the solution for problems with tens thousands of

          It is *a* solution, not *the* solution, and obviously not one
          of the type I describes. And a fine pff to you my friend.
        • Robert Schetterer
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013

            >> alternate you may use mdbox
            >> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox
            >
            > Both of these hold all messages in a single directory.
            > So sdbox would be no advantage there.
            > And mdbox does not support one message per file, nor
            > without metadata added to it, so those needing that for
            > other purposes would have no advantage.

            if done a mailbox archive test with postfix bcc, filtering
            with sieve to domain, user, date, mail-in , mail-out sort in subfolders

            i dont see urgent need for having each mail a file, as you may connect
            to the archive via imap client for restore one mail,
            mdbox to my knowledge is the best open compromise on filesystem mailbox
            formats for filesystems, but however maildir should work too if used in
            a well desigend setup, you might need scripting taring partitioning too,
            on the long run.
            Other Soltuions do store archive in Databases etc

            > [There is a per file limit specified in bytes, not count. It's
            > not clear what the behavior would be if a proposed new msg in
            > a new file would exceed a lesser byte limit. Perhaps a safe
            > bounce or queue.]
            >
            > I do like that they are reasonably well specified, publicly
            > on a wiki as opposed to only in source, and have a comparison
            > table of support on the parent page. All of which lead to easier
            > review and adoption by interested parties.

            in germany companies 10 year archive for finance mails is a must have by
            law, so there are serveral certified professional solutions, you may
            have a look on.

            Dovecot also offers some archive solution, and a object store
            you might have a look on

            At the end this isnt a real postfix theme, its more about storage etc

            Best Regards
            MfG Robert Schetterer

            --
            [*] sys4 AG

            http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
            Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

          • Stan Hoeppner
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013
              On 4/26/2013 9:32 PM, grarpamp wrote:

              >> pff and you realized that the "not a file per message" is
              >> exactly the solution for problems with tens thousands of
              >
              > It is *a* solution, not *the* solution,

              True. mbox solved this problem before it really began, back before
              people started mass archiving thousands or tens of thousands of emails.
              When used with modern MUAs and multiple name spaces you can mitigate or
              eliminate the locking problems, especially if using sieve to sort to
              these folders/files during delivery.

              I've been using such a setup with Dovecot, Thunderbird, and Roundcube,
              for may years. The largest of my mbox files, XFS list mail, is only
              19K+ emails. Full text searching it is relatively quick even if the FTS
              index isn't primed, and especially given the age of the hardware. If I
              was using maildir storage I can only assume FTS would take quite a while
              longer, as well as backup.

              --
              Stan
            • grarpamp
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013
                > re: the last two posts

                I must admit giving yourself the local equivalent
                of your own lifetime email account is an interesting
                approach if you don't really need access to the raw
                message files on disk.
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
                  Am 27.04.2013 04:32, schrieb grarpamp:

                  >> pff and you realized that the "not a file per message" is
                  >> exactly the solution for problems with tens thousands of
                  >
                  > It is *a* solution, not *the* solution, and obviously not one
                  > of the type I describes. And a fine pff to you my friend.

                  boy you replied to "Faster disks don't solve algorithmic problems
                  (problems related to the number of files per directory)" with
                  "And mdbox does not support one message per file"

                  no it is not *the* solution, but "does not support one message
                  püer file is pure bullshit in this context because it is what
                  you want
                • grarpamp
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
                    >> specified out there that applications could utilize...
                    >> where n is your split width... tmp/n, new/n, cur/n.

                    > it is what you want

                    No, actually right up there is what I was surveying.
                    But you failed to grok that in your search for more pfft.
                    I'm sure it's a nice day, go outside :)
                  • Reindl Harald
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
                      Am 27.04.2013 23:03, schrieb grarpamp:
                      >>> specified out there that applications could utilize...
                      >>> where n is your split width... tmp/n, new/n, cur/n.
                      >
                      >> it is what you want
                      >
                      > No, actually right up there is what I was surveying.
                      > But you failed to grok that in your search for more pfft.
                      > I'm sure it's a nice day, go outside :)

                      maybe you should learn how to use a mail-client and quote
                      before you post to a mail-server list - your answer above
                      makes no sense at all in context of the thread