Re: sender_dependent_relayhost_maps Syntax

  • awingnut
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
      On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
      > On 04/19/2013 03:17 PM, awingnut wrote:
      >>> no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea

      >>> what additional mapping?
      >>>
      >>> we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
      >>> senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
      >>> the customers MTA with the users login/password without
      >>> rewrite anything
      >>>
      >> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
      >>
      >> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
      >> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
      >> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
      >>

      > smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
      > sending mail out.
      > sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
      > queued.
      >
      > Ergo, you should match the original sender.
      >
      > For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
      > http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

      Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
      a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
      smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
      outgoing mail in that context.
    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
        On 04/21/2013 05:06 PM, awingnut wrote:
        > On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

        >>> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
        >>>
        >>> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
        >>> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
        >>> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
        >>>
        >> smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
        >> sending mail out.
        >> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
        >> queued.
        >>
        >> Ergo, you should match the original sender.
        >>
        >> For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
        >> http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
        >>
        > Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
        > a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
        > smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
        > outgoing mail in that context.

        No. There is no "incoming mail" going to the smtp(8) process - smtp(8)
        SENDS mail, it doesn't receive any.
        Look closely at the overview I linked you to.

        --
        J.