Re: sender_dependent_relayhost_maps Syntax

  • Jeroen Geilman
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21 7:50 AM
      On 04/19/2013 03:17 PM, awingnut wrote:
      > On 4/19/2013 8:30 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
      >> Am 19.04.2013 14:25, schrieb awingnut:
      >>> I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
      >>> other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
      >>> cards are allowed but it appears they are not
      >> no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea
      >>
      >>> If that is true then I need to list each one individually.
      >>> However, I am also using generic mapping and again it is not
      >>> explained in the documentation which address needs to be in the
      >>> relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
      >>> address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.
      >> what additional mapping?
      >>
      >> we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
      >> senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
      >> the customers MTA with the users login/password without
      >> rewrite anything
      >>
      > Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
      >
      > As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
      > local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
      > 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?

      smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
      sending mail out.
      sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is queued.

      Ergo, you should match the original sender.

      For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
      http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

      --
      J.
    • awingnut
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21 8:06 AM
        On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
        > On 04/19/2013 03:17 PM, awingnut wrote:
        >>> no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea

        >>> what additional mapping?
        >>>
        >>> we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
        >>> senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
        >>> the customers MTA with the users login/password without
        >>> rewrite anything
        >>>
        >> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
        >>
        >> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
        >> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
        >> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
        >>

        > smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
        > sending mail out.
        > sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
        > queued.
        >
        > Ergo, you should match the original sender.
        >
        > For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
        > http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

        Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
        a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
        smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
        outgoing mail in that context.
      • Jeroen Geilman
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21 1:46 PM
          On 04/21/2013 05:06 PM, awingnut wrote:
          > On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

          >>> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
          >>>
          >>> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
          >>> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
          >>> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
          >>>
          >> smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
          >> sending mail out.
          >> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
          >> queued.
          >>
          >> Ergo, you should match the original sender.
          >>
          >> For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
          >> http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
          >>
          > Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
          > a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
          > smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
          > outgoing mail in that context.

          No. There is no "incoming mail" going to the smtp(8) process - smtp(8)
          SENDS mail, it doesn't receive any.
          Look closely at the overview I linked you to.

          --
          J.