Re: sender_dependent_relayhost_maps Syntax

  • awingnut
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2013
      On 4/19/2013 8:30 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

      > Am 19.04.2013 14:25, schrieb awingnut:
      >> I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
      >> other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
      >> cards are allowed but it appears they are not
      > no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea
      >
      >> If that is true then I need to list each one individually.
      >> However, I am also using generic mapping and again it is not
      >> explained in the documentation which address needs to be in the
      >> relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
      >> address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.
      > what additional mapping?
      >
      > we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
      > senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
      > the customers MTA with the users login/password without
      > rewrite anything

      Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.

      As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
      local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
      123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
        On 04/19/2013 03:17 PM, awingnut wrote:
        > On 4/19/2013 8:30 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
        >> Am 19.04.2013 14:25, schrieb awingnut:
        >>> I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
        >>> other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
        >>> cards are allowed but it appears they are not
        >> no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea
        >>
        >>> If that is true then I need to list each one individually.
        >>> However, I am also using generic mapping and again it is not
        >>> explained in the documentation which address needs to be in the
        >>> relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
        >>> address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.
        >> what additional mapping?
        >>
        >> we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
        >> senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
        >> the customers MTA with the users login/password without
        >> rewrite anything
        >>
        > Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
        >
        > As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
        > local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
        > 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?

        smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
        sending mail out.
        sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is queued.

        Ergo, you should match the original sender.

        For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
        http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

        --
        J.
      • awingnut
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
          On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
          > On 04/19/2013 03:17 PM, awingnut wrote:
          >>> no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea

          >>> what additional mapping?
          >>>
          >>> we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
          >>> senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
          >>> the customers MTA with the users login/password without
          >>> rewrite anything
          >>>
          >> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
          >>
          >> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
          >> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
          >> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
          >>

          > smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
          > sending mail out.
          > sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
          > queued.
          >
          > Ergo, you should match the original sender.
          >
          > For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
          > http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

          Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
          a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
          smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
          outgoing mail in that context.
        • Jeroen Geilman
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
            On 04/21/2013 05:06 PM, awingnut wrote:
            > On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

            >>> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
            >>>
            >>> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
            >>> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
            >>> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
            >>>
            >> smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
            >> sending mail out.
            >> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
            >> queued.
            >>
            >> Ergo, you should match the original sender.
            >>
            >> For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
            >> http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
            >>
            > Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
            > a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
            > smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
            > outgoing mail in that context.

            No. There is no "incoming mail" going to the smtp(8) process - smtp(8)
            SENDS mail, it doesn't receive any.
            Look closely at the overview I linked you to.

            --
            J.