sender_dependent_relayhost_maps Syntax

  • awingnut
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19 5:25 AM
      I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
      other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
      cards are allowed but it appears they are not. If that is true then I
      need to list each one individually. However, I am also using generic
      mapping and again it is not explained in the documentation which address
      needs to be in the relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
      address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19 5:30 AM
        Am 19.04.2013 14:25, schrieb awingnut:
        > I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
        > other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
        > cards are allowed but it appears they are not

        no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea

        > If that is true then I need to list each one individually.
        > However, I am also using generic mapping and again it is not
        > explained in the documentation which address needs to be in the
        > relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
        > address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.

        what additional mapping?

        we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
        senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
        the customers MTA with the users login/password without
        rewrite anything
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19 5:40 AM
          Reindl Harald:
          > Am 19.04.2013 14:25, schrieb awingnut:
          > > I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
          > > other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
          > > cards are allowed but it appears they are not
          >
          > no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea

          Wildcards are supported with PCRE and REGEXP tables.
          man 5 pcre_table
          man 5 regexp_table

          > > If that is true then I need to list each one individually.
          > > However, I am also using generic mapping and again it is not
          > > explained in the documentation which address needs to be in the
          > > relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
          > > address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.

          As documented, smtp_sender_login_maps lists for each envelope sender
          addresses (left-hand side of table) the user login names that are
          allowed to use (right-hand side of table). If that reads like gibberish
          I suggest that you read up on:

          envelope versus header

          As documented, relay_recipient_maps contains the envelope recipient
          addresses that are used in (for example) RCPT TO commands. If that
          reads like gibberish I suggest that you read up on:

          SMTP protocol

          Wietse
        • awingnut
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19 6:17 AM
            On 4/19/2013 8:30 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

            > Am 19.04.2013 14:25, schrieb awingnut:
            >> I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
            >> other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
            >> cards are allowed but it appears they are not
            > no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea
            >
            >> If that is true then I need to list each one individually.
            >> However, I am also using generic mapping and again it is not
            >> explained in the documentation which address needs to be in the
            >> relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
            >> address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.
            > what additional mapping?
            >
            > we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
            > senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
            > the customers MTA with the users login/password without
            > rewrite anything

            Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.

            As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
            local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
            123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
          • Jeroen Geilman
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21 7:50 AM
              On 04/19/2013 03:17 PM, awingnut wrote:
              > On 4/19/2013 8:30 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
              >> Am 19.04.2013 14:25, schrieb awingnut:
              >>> I have a series of user names that need to be relayed through a server
              >>> other then the default. It is not clear from the documentation if wild
              >>> cards are allowed but it appears they are not
              >> no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea
              >>
              >>> If that is true then I need to list each one individually.
              >>> However, I am also using generic mapping and again it is not
              >>> explained in the documentation which address needs to be in the
              >>> relay maps file, the local address vs. the translated
              >>> address. Can some please clarify? Thanks.
              >> what additional mapping?
              >>
              >> we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
              >> senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
              >> the customers MTA with the users login/password without
              >> rewrite anything
              >>
              > Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
              >
              > As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
              > local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
              > 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?

              smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
              sending mail out.
              sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is queued.

              Ergo, you should match the original sender.

              For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
              http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

              --
              J.
            • awingnut
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21 8:06 AM
                On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
                > On 04/19/2013 03:17 PM, awingnut wrote:
                >>> no and wildchars in case of mail are generally a bad idea

                >>> what additional mapping?
                >>>
                >>> we are using "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps" to allow specific
                >>> senders which are not hosted on our server and rely them to
                >>> the customers MTA with the users login/password without
                >>> rewrite anything
                >>>
                >> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
                >>
                >> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
                >> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
                >> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
                >>

                > smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
                > sending mail out.
                > sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
                > queued.
                >
                > Ergo, you should match the original sender.
                >
                > For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
                > http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

                Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
                a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
                smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
                outgoing mail in that context.
              • Jeroen Geilman
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21 1:46 PM
                  On 04/21/2013 05:06 PM, awingnut wrote:
                  > On 4/21/2013 10:50 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

                  >>> Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured wildcards were out.
                  >>>
                  >>> As to what other mapping, I'm talking about smpt_generic_maps. If the
                  >>> local user name is xyzabc@... and it is mapped to
                  >>> 123890@..., which goes into the relayhosts file?
                  >>>
                  >> smtp_generic_maps is consulted by the postfix smtp(8) program, when
                  >> sending mail out.
                  >> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps is consulted when incoming mail is
                  >> queued.
                  >>
                  >> Ergo, you should match the original sender.
                  >>
                  >> For an overview of the postfix mail system, see:
                  >> http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
                  >>
                  > Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying but your terminology is
                  > a bit confusing. By incoming mail, I assume you mean incoming to the
                  > smpt process as opposed incoming mail for local delivery. This is all
                  > outgoing mail in that context.

                  No. There is no "incoming mail" going to the smtp(8) process - smtp(8)
                  SENDS mail, it doesn't receive any.
                  Look closely at the overview I linked you to.

                  --
                  J.