Re: Backscatter

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
      On 2013-04-19 6:57 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
      > Is there a way of testing for backscatter?
      > I do not believe that my setup up is a source of backscatter. However,
      > believing and knowing are different things.

      As long as you reject messages destined for invalid recipients, and
      don't accept-then-bounce messages with an after queue content (antispam
      etc) filter, (ie, if you use on, tag it as spam, or quarantine it, but
      do not bounce it), then you are not a source of backscatter...

      --

      Best regards,

      Charles
    • John Allen
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
        On 19/04/2013 7:03 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
        > On 2013-04-19 6:57 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
        >> Is there a way of testing for backscatter?
        >> I do not believe that my setup up is a source of backscatter.
        >> However, believing and knowing are different things.
        >
        > As long as you reject messages destined for invalid recipients, and
        > don't accept-then-bounce messages with an after queue content
        > (antispam etc) filter, (ie, if you use on, tag it as spam, or
        > quarantine it, but do not bounce it), then you are not a source of
        > backscatter...

        We work on the basis, that if we don't like it, we just drop it. On our
        partner server bounce is sent to their postmaster, something I would
        like to change. After all, if it smells like poison its usually a bad
        idea to do a taste test.

        John A
      • Charles Marcus
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
          On 2013-04-19 7:10 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
          > On 19/04/2013 7:03 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
          >> On 2013-04-19 6:57 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
          >>> Is there a way of testing for backscatter?
          >>> I do not believe that my setup up is a source of backscatter.
          >>> However, believing and knowing are different things.
          >>
          >> As long as you reject messages destined for invalid recipients, and
          >> don't accept-then-bounce messages with an after queue content
          >> (antispam etc) filter, (ie, if you use on, tag it as spam, or
          >> quarantine it, but do not bounce it), then you are not a source of
          >> backscatter...
          > We work on the basis, that if we don't like it, we just drop it. On
          > our partner server bounce is sent to their postmaster, something I
          > would like to change. After all, if it smells like poison its usually
          > a bad idea to do a taste test.

          In general, it is considered a very bad idea to 'drop' (or silently
          discard) email once you have accepted it for final delivery. If you are
          going to drop it, it is best to simply REJECT it.

          But, your system, your rules...

          --

          Best regards,

          Charles