Backscatter

  • John Allen
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
      Is there a way of testing for backscatter?
      I do not believe that my setup up is a source of backscatter. However,
      believing and knowing are different things.
      When ever I make a change in my setup, I test for open relay.
      But I wonder if there are other things that I should be testing for.

      John A
    • Charles Marcus
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
        On 2013-04-19 6:57 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
        > Is there a way of testing for backscatter?
        > I do not believe that my setup up is a source of backscatter. However,
        > believing and knowing are different things.

        As long as you reject messages destined for invalid recipients, and
        don't accept-then-bounce messages with an after queue content (antispam
        etc) filter, (ie, if you use on, tag it as spam, or quarantine it, but
        do not bounce it), then you are not a source of backscatter...

        --

        Best regards,

        Charles
      • John Allen
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
          On 19/04/2013 7:03 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
          > On 2013-04-19 6:57 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
          >> Is there a way of testing for backscatter?
          >> I do not believe that my setup up is a source of backscatter.
          >> However, believing and knowing are different things.
          >
          > As long as you reject messages destined for invalid recipients, and
          > don't accept-then-bounce messages with an after queue content
          > (antispam etc) filter, (ie, if you use on, tag it as spam, or
          > quarantine it, but do not bounce it), then you are not a source of
          > backscatter...

          We work on the basis, that if we don't like it, we just drop it. On our
          partner server bounce is sent to their postmaster, something I would
          like to change. After all, if it smells like poison its usually a bad
          idea to do a taste test.

          John A
        • Charles Marcus
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
            On 2013-04-19 7:10 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
            > On 19/04/2013 7:03 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
            >> On 2013-04-19 6:57 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
            >>> Is there a way of testing for backscatter?
            >>> I do not believe that my setup up is a source of backscatter.
            >>> However, believing and knowing are different things.
            >>
            >> As long as you reject messages destined for invalid recipients, and
            >> don't accept-then-bounce messages with an after queue content
            >> (antispam etc) filter, (ie, if you use on, tag it as spam, or
            >> quarantine it, but do not bounce it), then you are not a source of
            >> backscatter...
            > We work on the basis, that if we don't like it, we just drop it. On
            > our partner server bounce is sent to their postmaster, something I
            > would like to change. After all, if it smells like poison its usually
            > a bad idea to do a taste test.

            In general, it is considered a very bad idea to 'drop' (or silently
            discard) email once you have accepted it for final delivery. If you are
            going to drop it, it is best to simply REJECT it.

            But, your system, your rules...

            --

            Best regards,

            Charles