"generic_maps" problem

  • awingnut
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 13, 2013
      I having some trouble debugging a generic_maps problem. My master.conf
      contains this:

      smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

      /etc/postfix/generic contains this (sanitized):

      myaddress@... otheraddress@...

      In the log, when I send email from myaddress@..., I think the
      significant part is from qmgr (sanitized):

      Apr 7 08:00:06 dap002 postfix/qmgr[12055]: 8721A1FA85:
      from=<myaddress@...>, size=5901, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

      Should not this say otheraddress@..., if generic maps was working?

      Before someone asks, I did run postmap generic and the log does not
      contain any warnings about the db file being out of date.

      TIA.
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 13, 2013
        awingnut:
        > I having some trouble debugging a generic_maps problem. My master.conf
        > contains this:
        >
        > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
        >
        > /etc/postfix/generic contains this (sanitized):
        >
        > myaddress@... otheraddress@...

        As documented, this is a Postfix SMTP client feature.

        > In the log, when I send email from myaddress@..., I think the
        > significant part is from qmgr (sanitized):
        >
        > Apr 7 08:00:06 dap002 postfix/qmgr[12055]: 8721A1FA85:
        > from=<myaddress@...>, size=5901, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
        >
        > Should not this say otheraddress@..., if generic maps was working?

        This is queue manager logging. qmgr != smtp.

        http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
        http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

        Wietse
      • awingnut
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 13, 2013
          On 4/13/2013 6:45 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > awingnut:
          >> I having some trouble debugging a generic_maps problem. My master.conf
          >> contains this:
          >>
          >> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
          >>
          >> /etc/postfix/generic contains this (sanitized):
          >>
          >> myaddress@... otheraddress@...
          > As documented, this is a Postfix SMTP client feature.
          >
          >> In the log, when I send email from myaddress@..., I think the
          >> significant part is from qmgr (sanitized):
          >>
          >> Apr 7 08:00:06 dap002 postfix/qmgr[12055]: 8721A1FA85:
          >> from=<myaddress@...>, size=5901, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
          >>
          >> Should not this say otheraddress@..., if generic maps was working?
          > This is queue manager logging. qmgr != smtp.
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
          > http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
          >
          > Wietse

          Thanks. I was hoping qmgr was after smtp so that really tells me nothing
          then. I don't see any thing in the log with the string
          otheraddress@.... I followed the instructions for generic
          mapping but it seems to not be working. Mail is being refused by my ISP
          because it is from myaddress@... not otheraddress@....
          I'm running 2.6.6 so I am beyond 2.2. This seems like it should be
          pretty simple but obviously I am missing something.
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 13, 2013
            awingnut:
            > Thanks. I was hoping qmgr was after smtp so that really tells me nothing
            > then. I don't see any thing in the log with the string
            > otheraddress@.... I followed the instructions for generic
            > mapping but it seems to not be working. Mail is being refused by my ISP
            > because it is from myaddress@... not otheraddress@....

            In that case you have made an error. smtp_generic_maps
            applies to all addresses.

            What mistake did you make? You ignored the mailing list message.

            I'll repeat it below.

            Thank you for using Postfix.
          • awingnut
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
              On 4/13/2013 9:27 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > awingnut:
              >> Thanks. I was hoping qmgr was after smtp so that really tells me nothing
              >> then. I don't see any thing in the log with the string
              >> otheraddress@.... I followed the instructions for generic
              >> mapping but it seems to not be working. Mail is being refused by my ISP
              >> because it is from myaddress@... not otheraddress@....
              > In that case you have made an error. smtp_generic_maps
              > applies to all addresses.
              >
              > What mistake did you make? You ignored the mailing list message.
              >
              > I'll repeat it below.
              >
              > Wietse
              >
              > TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
              >
              > TO (UN)SUBSCRIBE see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html
              >
              > Thank you for using Postfix.

              Thanks. Here is the postfinger output:

              postfinger - postfix configuration on Sun Apr 14 08:59:25 EDT 2013
              version: 1.30

              Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
              such as ip addresses and/or domain names which you do not want to show
              to the public. If this is the case it is your responsibility to modify
              the output to hide this private information. [Remove this warning with
              the --nowarn option.]

              --System Parameters--
              mail_version = 2.6.6
              hostname = myhost.mydomain.com
              uname = Linux myhost.mydomain.com 2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue
              Nov 6 21:05:14 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

              --Packaging information--
              looks like this postfix comes from RPM package: postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.i686

              --main.cf non-default parameters--
              alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
              alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
              inet_protocols = all
              mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
              manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
              mynetworks_style = host
              readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES
              relayhost = [smtp.att.yahoo.com]
              sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
              smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) (CentOS Linux)
              smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
              smtp_helo_name = myhost.mydomain.com
              smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
              smtp_sasl_security_options =
              smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
              smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
              syslog_name = postfix

              --master.cf--
              smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
              pickup fifo n - n 60 1 pickup
              cleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup
              qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr
              tlsmgr unix - - n 1000? 1 tlsmgr
              rewrite unix - - n - - trivial-rewrite
              bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce
              defer unix - - n - 0 bounce
              trace unix - - n - 0 bounce
              verify unix - - n - 1 verify
              flush unix n - n 1000? 0 flush
              proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
              proxywrite unix - - n - 1 proxymap
              smtp unix - - n - - smtp
              relay unix - - n - - smtp
              -o smtp_fallback_relay=
              showq unix n - n - - showq
              error unix - - n - - error
              retry unix - - n - - error
              discard unix - - n - - discard
              local unix - n n - - local
              virtual unix - n n - - virtual
              lmtp unix - - n - - lmtp
              anvil unix - - n - 1 anvil
              scache unix - - n - 1 scache

              -- end of postfinger output --

              If it matters, as you can see I am using sender relay and this
              particular problem occurs when using the alternate relay rather than the
              default relay. I have not tried this via the default relay but could if
              you think that would help isolate the problem. I'm not sure what else I
              can provide based on that article that I have not already. The qmgr log
              entry is the only thing containing that string (myaddress@...).
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                awingnut:
                > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                > smtp unix - - n - - smtp
                > relay unix - - n - - smtp
                > -o smtp_fallback_relay=

                What is the output from:

                $ postmap -s hash:/etc/postfix/generic

                This should be in the form

                user1@site1 user@site2

                i.e. no ":" after the user1@site1, and no other garbage.

                Wietse
              • awingnut
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                  On 4/14/2013 10:43 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                  > awingnut:
                  >> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                  >> smtp unix - - n - - smtp
                  >> relay unix - - n - - smtp
                  >> -o smtp_fallback_relay=
                  > What is the output from:
                  >
                  > $ postmap -s hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                  >
                  > This should be in the form
                  >
                  > user1@site1 user@site2
                  >
                  > i.e. no ":" after the user1@site1, and no other garbage.
                  >
                  > Wietse

                  Yes, that is what I get.

                  myaddress@... otheraddress@...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                    On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:24:56AM -0400, awingnut wrote:

                    > myaddress@... otheraddress@...

                    What evidence, if any, do you have that generic mapping is "not working".

                  • awingnut
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                      On 4/14/2013 11:26 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
                      > On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:24:56AM -0400, awingnut wrote:
                      >
                      >> myaddress@... otheraddress@...
                      > What evidence, if any, do you have that generic mapping is "not working".

                      Email from myaddress@... is being held by the mail server
                      pending verification. I can't verify it, obviously, because that address
                      does not exist. It should be otheraddress@... which has been
                      verified. I am getting the impression that you believe this should be
                      working. That is making me think about when I was first setting this up.
                      Is it possible that I am being fooled by an email from my previous
                      attempts with the wrong address that is circulating around somewhere and
                      I am just thinking it is a different one each time? Unfortunately I
                      can't get access to the actual email(s) in question to see dates or
                      contents. If the string 'otheraddress@...' never shows up in
                      the log, could it still mean the mapping is working? I guess I thought
                      if it was never there then it must be failing on postfix somewhere.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                        On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:59:59AM -0400, awingnut wrote:

                        > On 4/14/2013 11:26 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
                        >
                        > > On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:24:56AM -0400, awingnut wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > myaddress@... otheraddress@...
                        > >
                        > > What evidence, if any, do you have that generic mapping is "not working".
                        >
                        > If the string 'otheraddress@...' never shows up in
                        > the log, could it still mean the mapping is working?

                        Yes, of course, the sender address is logged *before* the mail is
                        rewritten by the smtp(8) delivery agent. This is why expect that
                        you're simply confused by the logs.

                        To determine whether generic mapping is working you need to look
                        downstream at the logs of the SMTP server receiving the mail, or
                        if that is not an option, capture the traffic via tcpdump.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                          awingnut:
                          > On 4/14/2013 10:43 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                          > > awingnut:
                          > >> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                          > >> smtp unix - - n - - smtp
                          > >> relay unix - - n - - smtp
                          > >> -o smtp_fallback_relay=
                          > > What is the output from:
                          > >
                          > > $ postmap -s hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                          > >
                          > > This should be in the form
                          > >
                          > > user1@site1 user@site2
                          > >
                          > > i.e. no ":" after the user1@site1, and no other garbage.
                          > >
                          > > Wietse
                          > >

                          > Yes, that is what I get.
                          >
                          > myaddress@... otheraddress@...

                          This sends mail from me to me, but smtp_generic_maps replaces all
                          the addresses with postmaster.

                          Commands:
                          % postconf smtp_generic_maps
                          smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                          % postmap -q wietse@... hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                          postmaster@...
                          % date | mail wietse@...

                          Logging:
                          Apr 14 12:29:29 hades postfix/qmgr[2326]: 60F3FABFF10: from=<wietse@...>, size=327, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                          Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: MAIL FROM:<postmaster@...> SIZE=327
                          Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: RCPT TO:<postmaster@...>

                          Message:
                          To: postmaster@...
                          Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
                          From: postmaster@... (Wietse Venema)

                          Sun Apr 14 12:29:29 EDT 2013

                          Wietse
                        • awingnut
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                            On 4/14/2013 12:34 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
                            > On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:59:59AM -0400, awingnut wrote:

                            >>> What evidence, if any, do you have that generic mapping is "not working".
                            >> If the string 'otheraddress@...' never shows up in
                            >> the log, could it still mean the mapping is working?
                            > Yes, of course, the sender address is logged *before* the mail is
                            > rewritten by the smtp(8) delivery agent. This is why expect that
                            > you're simply confused by the logs.
                            >
                            > To determine whether generic mapping is working you need to look
                            > downstream at the logs of the SMTP server receiving the mail, or
                            > if that is not an option, capture the traffic via tcpdump.

                            Thanks. I'll have to look into tcpdump. I was not aware of it before.
                          • awingnut
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                              On 4/14/2013 12:37 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                              > awingnut:
                              >> On 4/14/2013 10:43 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                              >>> awingnut:
                              >>> What is the output from:
                              >>>
                              >>> $ postmap -s hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                              >>>
                              >>> This should be in the form
                              >>>
                              >>> user1@site1 user@site2
                              >>>
                              >>> i.e. no ":" after the user1@site1, and no other garbage.
                              >>>
                              >>> Wietse
                              >>>

                              >> Yes, that is what I get.
                              >>
                              >> myaddress@... otheraddress@...
                              > This sends mail from me to me, but smtp_generic_maps replaces all
                              > the addresses with postmaster.
                              >
                              > Commands:
                              > % postconf smtp_generic_maps
                              > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                              > % postmap -q wietse@... hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                              > postmaster@...
                              > % date | mail wietse@...
                              >
                              > Logging:
                              > Apr 14 12:29:29 hades postfix/qmgr[2326]: 60F3FABFF10: from=<wietse@...>, size=327, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                              > Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: MAIL FROM:<postmaster@...> SIZE=327
                              > Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: RCPT TO:<postmaster@...>
                              >
                              > Message:
                              > To: postmaster@...
                              > Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
                              > From: postmaster@... (Wietse Venema)
                              >
                              > Sun Apr 14 12:29:29 EDT 2013
                              >
                              > Wietse

                              I have no log entries like that at all, for anything. Typically all I
                              get is something like this for any given outgoing email:

                              Apr 14 02:01:40 myhost postfix/pickup[23917]: 5A3AE1FA85: uid=0 from=<root>
                              Apr 14 02:01:40 myhost postfix/cleanup[24077]: 5A3AE1FA85:
                              message-id=<20130414060140.5A3AE1FA85@...>
                              Apr 14 02:01:40 myhost postfix/qmgr[13172]: 5A3AE1FA85:
                              from=<root@...>, size=6017, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                              Apr 14 02:01:40 myhost postfix/cleanup[24077]: C8BF71FA84:
                              message-id=<20130414060140.5A3AE1FA85@...>
                              Apr 14 02:01:40 myhost postfix/qmgr[13172]: C8BF71FA84:
                              from=<root@...>, size=6156, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                              Apr 14 02:01:40 myhost postfix/local[24079]: 5A3AE1FA85:
                              to=<root@...>, orig_to=<root>, relay=local, delay=89,
                              delays=89/0.21/0/0.07, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (forwarded as C8BF71FA84)
                              Apr 14 02:01:40 myhost postfix/qmgr[13172]: 5A3AE1FA85: removed
                              Apr 14 02:01:41 myhost postfix/smtp[24080]: connect to
                              smtp.att.yahoo.com[98.139.221.42]:25: No route to host
                              Apr 14 02:01:42 myhost postfix/smtp[24080]: C8BF71FA84:
                              to=<address@...>, orig_to=<root>,
                              relay=smtp.att.yahoo.com[98.138.31.74]:25, delay=1.2,
                              delays=0.05/0.19/0.47/0.48, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK , completed)
                              Apr 14 02:01:42 myhost postfix/qmgr[13172]: C8BF71FA84: removed
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 14, 2013
                                > This sends mail from me to me, but smtp_generic_maps replaces all
                                > the addresses with postmaster.
                                >
                                > Commands:
                                > % postconf smtp_generic_maps
                                > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                                > % postmap -q wietse@... hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                                > postmaster@...
                                > % date | mail wietse@...
                                >
                                > Logging:
                                > Apr 14 12:29:29 hades postfix/qmgr[2326]: 60F3FABFF10: from=<wietse@...>, size=327, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                > Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: MAIL FROM:<postmaster@...> SIZE=327
                                > Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: RCPT TO:<postmaster@...>
                                >
                                > Message:
                                > To: postmaster@...
                                > Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
                                > From: postmaster@... (Wietse Venema)
                                >
                                > Sun Apr 14 12:29:29 EDT 2013

                                awingnut:
                                > I have no log entries like that at all, for anything. Typically all I

                                I have turned on verbose logging temporarily in master.cf:

                                smtp unix - - - - - smtp -v
                                relay unix - - - - - smtp -v

                                This requires a "postfix reload" command.

                                Wietse
                              • awingnut
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 16, 2013
                                  On 4/14/2013 1:23 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                                  >> This sends mail from me to me, but smtp_generic_maps replaces all
                                  >> the addresses with postmaster.
                                  >>
                                  >> Commands:
                                  >> % postconf smtp_generic_maps
                                  >> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                                  >> % postmap -q wietse@... hash:/etc/postfix/generic
                                  >> postmaster@...
                                  >> % date | mail wietse@...
                                  >>
                                  >> Logging:
                                  >> Apr 14 12:29:29 hades postfix/qmgr[2326]: 60F3FABFF10: from=<wietse@...>, size=327, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                  >> Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: MAIL FROM:<postmaster@...> SIZE=327
                                  >> Apr 14 12:29:35 hades postfix/smtp[2625]: > spike.porcupine.org[168.100.189.2]:25: RCPT TO:<postmaster@...>
                                  >>
                                  >> Message:
                                  >> To: postmaster@...
                                  >> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
                                  >> From: postmaster@... (Wietse Venema)
                                  >>
                                  >> Sun Apr 14 12:29:29 EDT 2013
                                  > awingnut:
                                  >> I have no log entries like that at all, for anything. Typically all I
                                  > I have turned on verbose logging temporarily in master.cf:
                                  >
                                  > smtp unix - - - - - smtp -v
                                  > relay unix - - - - - smtp -v
                                  >
                                  > This requires a "postfix reload" command.
                                  >
                                  > Wietse

                                  This was a big help. Thanks. While it did not help solve the problem
                                  directly, it provided enough information to eliminate my postfix config
                                  as a suspect.