Sending mail with specific address in own domain to relay.

  • Peter Welzien
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2013
      Hi. The situation is as follows:

      I get all my mail to my domain to the web hotel where I've registered the
      domain.

      I fetch my mail using Fetchmail and deliver it to my server running
      Dovecot + Postfix.

      Outgoing mail is relayed to my ISP.

      The problem is that my wife has an email account at my web hotel, within
      the same domain as me. Her mail is not fetched with Fetchmail. When I try
      to send her an email, Postfix thinks it's a local account and fails with
      error "User unknown in virtual mailbox table".

      I've tried adding her email address to /etc/postfix/transport (and running
      postmap), but it doesn't work.

      How can I make Postfix relay any mail with her address as recipient to my
      ISP?

      --
      /Peter Welzien
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2013
        Le 13/04/2013 18:11, Peter Welzien a écrit :
        > Hi. The situation is as follows:
        >
        > I get all my mail to my domain to the web hotel where I've registered the
        > domain.
        >
        > I fetch my mail using Fetchmail and deliver it to my server running
        > Dovecot + Postfix.
        >
        > Outgoing mail is relayed to my ISP.
        >
        > The problem is that my wife has an email account at my web hotel, within
        > the same domain as me. Her mail is not fetched with Fetchmail. When I try
        > to send her an email, Postfix thinks it's a local account and fails with
        > error "User unknown in virtual mailbox table".
        >
        > I've tried adding her email address to /etc/postfix/transport (and running
        > postmap), but it doesn't work.

        saying "it doesn't work" and nothing else is sure to encourage people to
        ignore your post (or to reply "it doesn't work on holidays" :)

        do not forget to run 'postfix reload'.

        if it still doesn' to work, follow the list recommendation:

        > How can I make Postfix relay any mail with her address as recipient to my
        > ISP?

        transport_maps should work.

        otherwise, a combination of virtual_alias_maps and smtp_generic_maps
        also works (and is recommended for those who have a lot of traffic, but
        this dooes not look to be your case):

        1) use a virtual alias to map:
        yourwife@... yourwife@...

        2) use smtp_generic_maps to write the address back:
        yourwife@... yourwife@...

        yes, this works because "generic comes after transport".
      • Peter Welzien
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2013
          mouss wrote:
          >> How can I make Postfix relay any mail with her address as recipient to
          my ISP?

          > transport_maps should work.

          > otherwise, a combination of virtual_alias_maps and smtp_generic_maps
          also works (and is recommended for those who have a lot of traffic, but
          this dooes not look to be your case):

          > 1) use a virtual alias to map:
          > yourwife@... yourwife@...

          > 2) use smtp_generic_maps to write the address back:
          > yourwife@... yourwife@...

          This worked splendidly! Thank you very much.

          --
          /Peter Welzien

          --
          /Peter Welzien