Re: Is postfix misconfiguration to send to wrong domain?

  • Jan P. Kessler
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
      >> Is postscreen able to identify email as spam to prevent bouncing it?
      >> Is there a way to alter my postfix configuration to prevent bouncing it?
      > This is not a matter of 'spam detection'. You have to verify for valid
      > (means existing) recipients *before* you accept mail.
      >
      > Look for reject_unlisted_recipient or reject_unverified_recipients in
      > the postfix docs.

      To be more precise:
      - verify your recipients
      - do not reject mails by content filters (as said: use prequeue filters
      or tag spam mails)
      - and most important: do not rewrite recipients to non existing
      third-party accounts (here: google)!

      Apr 11 05:15:23 mg04 postfix/smtp[28222]: 152B0661BC5:
      to=<mmoody7@...-google-a.com
      <mailto:mmoody7@...-google-a.com>>, orig_to=<mmoody7@...
      <mailto:mmoody7@...>>, relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
      <http://gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com>[173.194.76.26]:25, delay=13,
      delays=9.3/0/0.22/3.2, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host
      gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
      <http://gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com>[173.194.76.26] said: 550-5.1.1 The
      email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
      550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
      550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1
      http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=6596
      j8si3846254qaz.28 - gsmtp (in reply to RCPT TO command))
    • LuKreme
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
        On Apr 11, 2013, at 15:56, "Jan P. Kessler" <postfix@...> wrote:
        > do not reject mails by content filters (as said: use prequeue filters
        > or tag spam mails)

        to be clear, do not bounce emails based on content filters AFTER the SMTP transaction. You can certainly reject email based on any criteria you wish during the SMTP phase.

        In fact, anymore, bouncing mail at all is more trouble than it is worth. Any criteria that would cause an email to bounce should be checked before the SMTP phase closes and cause a reject instead.