Logging SMTPD ports

  • Robert Sharp
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2013
      Hi

      I have postfix set up with smtpd processes on three ports: 25 for the wild world out there, 587 for submission from local users and other MTAs on the LAN, and 10025 for re-injection from amavis. I am doing some log analysis and I think it would be really, really helpful if smtpd could log its port. That way I can easily distinguish between message threads without trying second passes based on message or queue IDs. I would imagine it is a fairly easy thing to implement? Can it be done through some setting somewhere that I have not yet found?

      Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2013
        On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:12:02PM +0100, Robert Sharp wrote:

        > I have postfix set up with smtpd processes on three ports: 25 for
        > the wild world out there, 587 for submission from local users and
        > other MTAs on the LAN, and 10025 for re-injection from amavis. I am
        > doing some log analysis and I think it would be really, really
        > helpful if smtpd could log its port. That way I can easily
        > distinguish between message threads without trying second passes
        > based on message or queue IDs. I would imagine it is a fairly easy
        > thing to implement? Can it be done through some setting somewhere
        > that I have not yet found?

        Two front-end instances (inside input, outside input) plus one
        back-end instance (post-amavis re-injection output). Trust me,
        this is much better than mere logging of input ports.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2013
          Viktor Dukhovni:
          > On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:12:02PM +0100, Robert Sharp wrote:
          >
          > > I have postfix set up with smtpd processes on three ports: 25 for
          > > the wild world out there, 587 for submission from local users and
          > > other MTAs on the LAN, and 10025 for re-injection from amavis. I am
          > > doing some log analysis and I think it would be really, really
          > > helpful if smtpd could log its port. That way I can easily
          > > distinguish between message threads without trying second passes
          > > based on message or queue IDs. I would imagine it is a fairly easy
          > > thing to implement? Can it be done through some setting somewhere
          > > that I have not yet found?
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html
          >
          > Two front-end instances (inside input, outside input) plus one
          > back-end instance (post-amavis re-injection output). Trust me,
          > this is much better than mere logging of input ports.

          Otherwise, this example may help:

          submission inet n - n - - smtpd
          -o syslog_name=postfix/submission
          smtps inet n - n - - smtpd

[...]