Re: Forwarding from a particular email address

  • Indiana Jones
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
      Quoting "Wietse Venema" <wietse@...>:
      > Mark Alan:
      >> On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 03:01:58 +0300, "Indiana Jones"
      >> <indiana99@...> wrote:
      >>> # for single address
      >>> printf "user1@... user2@...\n"
      >>> # for multiple addresses
      >>> printf "user1@... user2@...\nuser3@...
      >>> user4@...\n" > /etc/postfix/virtual
      >>>
      >>> Thank you very much!
      >>> I edited main.cf and created the file /postfix/virtual and followed
      >>> all these steps, but this way Postfix does not leave copies of the
      >>> forwarded messages on the server.
      >>> I need postfix to leave a copy of the forwarded message so that it
      >>> can also be collected locally by the recipient! i.e. the recipient
      >>> wants to receive his incoming mail on the two different addresses
      >>> simultaneously!
      >>>
      >>> Could you possibly explain how to do that?
      >>
      >> Try to also map each address to itself:
      >>
      >> user1@... user1@...
      >> user1@... user2@...
      >> user3@... user3@...
      >> user3@... user4@...
      >
      > That should be:
      >
      > user1@... user1@... user2@...
      > user3@... user3@... user4@...
      >
      > Wietse

      Thank you very much indeed to both of you, Alan and Wietse!
      Now it works like a charm :)

      Adam
    • Mark Alan
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
        On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:56:13 -0400 (EDT), Wietse Venema
        <wietse@...> wrote:

        > That should be:
        >
        > user1@... user1@... user2@...
        > user3@... user3@... user4@...

        Makes sense and perhaps it seems obvious for the postfix developers, but
        I do not remember seeing such usage case (a /etc/postfix/virtual
        file with user1 -> user1 user2) in the postfix documentation, namely,
        neither at:
        http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
        nor at:
        http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html.

        M.
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
          Mark Alan:
          > On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:56:13 -0400 (EDT), Wietse Venema
          > <wietse@...> wrote:
          >
          > > That should be:
          > >
          > > user1@... user1@... user2@...
          > > user3@... user3@... user4@...
          >
          > Makes sense and perhaps it seems obvious for the postfix developers, but
          > I do not remember seeing such usage case (a /etc/postfix/virtual
          > file with user1 -> user1 user2) in the postfix documentation, namely,
          > neither at:
          > http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
          > nor at:
          > http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html.

          This is in an unexpected place:

          TABLE SEARCH ORDER
          With lookups from indexed files such as DB or DBM, or from networked
          tables such as NIS, LDAP or SQL, patterns are tried in the order as
          listed below:

          user@domain address, address, ...
          Redirect mail for user@domain to address. This form has the
          highest precedence.

          ...other examples omitted...

          The text under "TABLE FORMAT" needs some tweaking.

          pattern result
          When pattern matches a mail address, replace it by the corre-
          sponding result.

          Maybe:

          pattern address, address, ...
          When pattern matches a mail address, replace it by the corre-
          sponding address(es).

          Would do the job.

          Wietse
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 12, 2013
            On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:41:25 -0400 (EDT)
            Wietse Venema articulated:

            > Mark Alan:
            > > On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:56:13 -0400 (EDT), Wietse Venema
            > > <wietse@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > That should be:
            > > >
            > > > user1@... user1@... user2@...
            > > > user3@... user3@... user4@...
            > >
            > > Makes sense and perhaps it seems obvious for the postfix
            > > developers, but I do not remember seeing such usage case
            > > (a /etc/postfix/virtual file with user1 -> user1 user2) in the
            > > postfix documentation, namely, neither at:
            > > http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
            > > nor at:
            > > http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html.
            >
            > This is in an unexpected place:
            >
            > TABLE SEARCH ORDER
            > With lookups from indexed files such as DB or DBM, or from
            > networked tables such as NIS, LDAP or SQL, patterns are tried in
            > the order as listed below:
            >
            > user@domain address, address, ...
            > Redirect mail for user@domain to address. This form
            > has the highest precedence.
            >
            > ...other examples omitted...
            >
            > The text under "TABLE FORMAT" needs some tweaking.
            >
            > pattern result
            > When pattern matches a mail address, replace it by
            > the corre- sponding result.
            >
            > Maybe:
            >
            > pattern address, address, ...
            > When pattern matches a mail address, replace it by
            > the corre- sponding address(es).
            >
            > Would do the job.

            Yes, that is a much clearer description of how the option works.

            --
            Jerry ✌
            postfix-user@...