Re: Enabling Postscreen'

  • LuKreme
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
      In our previous episode (Saturday, 06-Apr-2013), Wietse Venema said:
      > LuKreme:
      >>
      >> I've just updated my postfix install to 2.8 patch 14 (from 2.7)
      >> and am looking into enabling postscreen. I've read the
      >> http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html document, and it
      >> looks like I should replace my old rbi checks with the new
      >> postscreen_dnsbl_sites value, but what about some of the other
      >> checks?
      >
      > I suggest you don't change your existing spamblocking features.

      Really? What is the advantage of polling the RBL at spamhaus again?

      And aren't reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname and reject_unlisted_sender redundant in smtpd_recipient_restrictions?

      --
      I know you won't believe it's true I only went with her cuz she looked
      like you
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
        LuKreme:
        > In our previous episode (Saturday, 06-Apr-2013), Wietse Venema said:
        > > LuKreme:
        > >>
        > >> I've just updated my postfix install to 2.8 patch 14 (from 2.7)
        > >> and am looking into enabling postscreen. I've read the
        > >> http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html document, and it
        > >> looks like I should replace my old rbi checks with the new
        > >> postscreen_dnsbl_sites value, but what about some of the other
        > >> checks?
        > >
        > > I suggest you don't change your existing spamblocking features.
        >
        > Really? What is the advantage of polling the RBL at spamhaus again?

        You're not polling it again. The information is cached in the DNS
        server. And in the case that the DNSBL lookup result came too late
        for postscreen, it may still arrive in time for smtpd(8).

        > And aren't reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname and
        > reject_unlisted_sender redundant in smtpd_recipient_restrictions?

        Please RTFM. postscreen doe snot implement every smtpd feature.

        Wietse
      • LuKreme
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
          In our previous episode (Sunday, 07-Apr-2013), Wietse Venema said:
          > LuKreme:
          >> In our previous episode (Saturday, 06-Apr-2013), Wietse Venema said:
          >>> LuKreme:

          >>> I suggest you don't change your existing spamblocking features.
          >>
          >> Really? What is the advantage of polling the RBL at spamhaus again?
          >
          > You're not polling it again. The information is cached in the DNS
          > server. And in the case that the DNSBL lookup result came too late
          > for postscreen, it may still arrive in time for smtpd(8).

          Ah, yes, I hand't thought of that.

          >> And aren't reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname and
          >> reject_unlisted_sender redundant in smtpd_recipient_restrictions?
          >
          > Please RTFM. postscreen doe snot implement every smtpd feature.

          I honestly did, and I thought those in particular where ones that would be redundant. I will leave it as it is, thanks.

          --
          A good friend will come and bail you out of jail but a true friend will
          be sitting next to you saying, "Dang, that was fun."