Re: trying to get STARTTLS working

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
      On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.

      David Benfell:
      > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
      > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not entirely
      > thrilled with the logging.

      Look at /var/log/maillog*

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
        On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 04:54:57PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

        > On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.
        >
        > David Benfell:
        > > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
        > > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not entirely
        > > thrilled with the logging.
        >
        > Look at /var/log/maillog*

        In this case there is nothing of interest logged, because Postfix
        SMTP server TLS was not enabled. Were TLS enabled, but not available
        due to some error, there would be something pertinent in the logs.

        smtpd_tls_security_level = may

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
          Viktor Dukhovni:
          > On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 04:54:57PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
          >
          > > On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > > > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.
          > >
          > > David Benfell:
          > > > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
          > > > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not entirely
          > > > thrilled with the logging.
          > >
          > > Look at /var/log/maillog*
          >
          > In this case there is nothing of interest logged, because Postfix
          > SMTP server TLS was not enabled. Were TLS enabled, but not available
          > due to some error, there would be something pertinent in the logs.
          >
          > smtpd_tls_security_level = may

          No doubt there will have other problems, so now he knows
          not to search the systemd binary journal abomination.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
            On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.

            David Benfell:
            > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
            > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not
            > entirely thrilled with the logging.

            Wietse:
            > Look at /var/log/maillog*

            David Benfell:
            > Yup. It doesn't exist:
            >
            > munich# ls -al /var/log

            Postfix logs are the first place to look when some email isn't
            delivered.

            It may be worthwhile to generate some records by hand
            and see where things end up:

            $ logger -p mail.info -t postfix/whatever some text here...

            This should be filed in the same place as Postfix logging.