Re: trying to get STARTTLS working

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
      David Benfell:
      > munich# telnet munich 25
      > Trying 193.34.144.104...
      > Connected to munich.
      > Escape character is '^]'.
      > 220 mail.parts-unknown.org ESMTP Postfix
      > ehlo parts-unknown.org
      > 250-mail.parts-unknown.org
      > 250-PIPELINING
      > 250-SIZE 20971520
      > 250-VRFY
      > 250-ETRN
      > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
      > 250-8BITMIME
      > 250 DSN
      >
      > If I understand correctly, this means I do not have STARTTLS working.
      > I've been going nuts trying to figure this out from instructions on
      > the web.

      Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
        On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.

        David Benfell:
        > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
        > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not entirely
        > thrilled with the logging.

        Look at /var/log/maillog*

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
          On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 04:54:57PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

          > On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.
          >
          > David Benfell:
          > > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
          > > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not entirely
          > > thrilled with the logging.
          >
          > Look at /var/log/maillog*

          In this case there is nothing of interest logged, because Postfix
          SMTP server TLS was not enabled. Were TLS enabled, but not available
          due to some error, there would be something pertinent in the logs.

          smtpd_tls_security_level = may

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
            Viktor Dukhovni:
            > On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 04:54:57PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
            >
            > > On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.
            > >
            > > David Benfell:
            > > > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
            > > > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not entirely
            > > > thrilled with the logging.
            > >
            > > Look at /var/log/maillog*
            >
            > In this case there is nothing of interest logged, because Postfix
            > SMTP server TLS was not enabled. Were TLS enabled, but not available
            > due to some error, there would be something pertinent in the logs.
            >
            > smtpd_tls_security_level = may

            No doubt there will have other problems, so now he knows
            not to search the systemd binary journal abomination.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
              On 04/05/2013 01:10 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Postfix logs all errors! You just have to read it.

              David Benfell:
              > And I had been scouring journalctl -b trying to find them. They
              > weren't there. This is running under systemd--and no, I'm not
              > entirely thrilled with the logging.

              Wietse:
              > Look at /var/log/maillog*

              David Benfell:
              > Yup. It doesn't exist:
              >
              > munich# ls -al /var/log

              Postfix logs are the first place to look when some email isn't
              delivered.

              It may be worthwhile to generate some records by hand
              and see where things end up:

              $ logger -p mail.info -t postfix/whatever some text here...

              This should be filed in the same place as Postfix logging.