Re: Trouble configuring backup MX to reject unauth destination

  • Titanus Eramius
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
      Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
      <wietse@...>:

      > Titanus Eramius:

      > > MAIL FROM:<>
      > > 250 2.1.0 Ok
      > > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
      > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
      > > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
      > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
      >
      > > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
      > > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
      > > table".
      >
      > You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
      > @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
      >
      > Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
      >
      > Wietse

      Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
      problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
      always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
      bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

      I have converted virtual_mailbox_maps and virtual_mailbox_domains to
      textfiles, so it should be easier to debug on the setup. Please note
      that I had to change server to experiment like this, since I depend
      on the other server.

      The servername is nt-data.dk, and the hosted domain (which all mail is
      accepted for) is nt-backup.dk. The behavior is the same, so mail sent
      to non_existent@... is rejected, while mail sent to
      non_existent@... is accepted, and then bounced.

      In main.cf (please see the bottom for postconf -n) is
      virtual_mailbox_domains =
      hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
      virtual_mailbox_maps =
      hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

      And the content of those files is
      virtual_mailbox_domains.cf:
      nt-backup.dk OK
      nt-data.dk OK

      virtual_mailbox_maps.cf:
      test@... OK
      info@... OK

      It all works like a charm, besides the point that Postfix accepts
      mail to non-existent users on the hosted domain.

      In addition I have read through the relevant documentation again, but I
      still can't figure out where or what the problem might be.

      Thanks again

      postconf -n
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

      bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

      config_directory = /etc/postfix

      delay_warning_time = 4

      disable_vrfy_command = yes

      inet_interfaces = all

      local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

      maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

      mydestination =

      myhostname = ntdata.nt-data.dk

      mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

      recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

      recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
      tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

      sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

      sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
      tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

      smtp_tls_security_level = may

      smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
      btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

      smtpd_data_restrictions =
      reject_unauth_pipelining,
      reject_multi_recipient_bounce,
      permit

      smtpd_helo_required = yes

      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
      reject_non_fqdn_sender,
      reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
      reject_unknown_sender_domain,
      reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
      reject_rbl_client truncate.gbudb.net,
      reject_unauth_destination,
      permit

      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

      smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

      smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

      smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

      smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

      smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

      smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

      smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

      smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

      smtpd_tls_security_level = may

      smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
      btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

      tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

      transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

      virtual_mailbox_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf

      virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

      virtual_transport = dovecot
    • Brian Evans
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
        On 4/5/2013 6:56 AM, Titanus Eramius wrote:
        > Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
        > <wietse@...>:
        >
        >> Titanus Eramius:
        >>> MAIL FROM:<>
        >>> 250 2.1.0 Ok
        >>> RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
        >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
        >>> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
        >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
        >>> If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
        >>> then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
        >>> table".
        >> You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
        >> @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
        >>
        >> Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
        >> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
        >>
        >> Wietse
        > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
        > problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
        > always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
        > bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

        You say you return "false"?
        Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
        virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
        Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it does
        not exist.

        Brian
      • Titanus Eramius
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
          Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:49:39 -0400 skrev Brian Evans
          <grknight@...>:

          > > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve
          > > the problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query
          > > that always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail,
          > > and then bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.
          >
          > You say you return "false"?
          > Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
          > virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
          > Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it
          > does not exist.

          False may be the wrong word, and I'm sorry if it is. What I mean is,
          virtual_mailbox_maps always returns nothing from MySQL, like so:

          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q test@...
          mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
          1
          (this user exists)

          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q non_existent@...
          mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
          1
          (this user does not)

          I did this because I had some trouble constructing the query-string
          Wietse recommended, and thought this would be a simple and easy way to
          test if virtual_mailbox_maps was the problem.

          When trying the syntax within the MySQL CLI, a "Empty set" is returned
          when querying for a non-existent user

          mysql> SELECT username FROM mailbox
          -> WHERE username = 'non_existent@...';
          Empty set (0.00 sec)

          I hope this better explains what I meant
          Cheers
        • Titanus Eramius
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 6, 2013
            Solved it :-)

            When sending to unknown users, Postfix now rejects the mail with "User
            unknown in virtual mailbox table", and it does so for hosted (that is,
            virtual mailbox domains) domains as well.

            It seems the SRS-daemon* I have been using with the main.cf parameters
            recipient_canonical_maps
            recipient_canonical_classes
            sender_canonical_maps
            sender_canonical_classes

            was the root of the problem. I have just commented them out to solve
            it. Reading through the documentation for those four parameters, does
            not seem to indicate why they would mess with Postfix' ability to use
            virtual_mailbox_maps.

            But I guess my lack of understanding about Postfix internals is a
            problem as well. I am sorry for the wasted time, and would like to
            thank all who helped out.

            Have a nice weekend

            * https://github.com/Fruneau/pfixtools