Strange bounce message

  • Roland de Lepper
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hi there,

      I'm using  postfix  2.7.0-1ubuntu0.2 for our main MTA for our company.
      Last week my manager has send an email to everybody in the company at once. For some users the email bounced because of a quota limit they exceeded.
      This can be right, but not the bounce message. It said:

      -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:15:36 +0100 (CET) From: MAILER-DAEMON@... (Mail Delivery System) To: robert.piet@...

      This is the mail system at host webaccess.brabantia.com.I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could notbe delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.If you do so, please include this problem report. You candelete your own text from the attached returned message. The mail system <DCO@...> : host 129.50.20.41[129.50.20.41] said: 552 5.2.2 dirk.moyaert@... Quota Exceeded (in reply to end of DATA command)

      Please read the cursive red line. DCO@... is not my mailsystem. This is the Zarafa server which use Postfix as MTA. This system checks teh LDAP auth with out Active Directory.

      I have another one:

      -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:15:32 +0100 (CET) From: MAILER-DAEMON@... (Mail Delivery System) To: robert.piet@...

      This is the mail system at host webaccess.brabantia.com.I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could notbe delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.If you do so, please include this problem report. You candelete your own text from the attached returned message. The mail system <s.dewaele@...> : host 129.50.20.41[129.50.20.41] said: 552 5.2.2 r.beerens@... Quota Exceeded (in reply to end of DATA command) <s.kersten@...> : host 129.50.20.41[129.50.20.41] said: 552 5.2.2 s.dewaele@... Quota Exceeded (in reply to end of DATA command)

      Please see the cursive red line again. Same IP, other emailaddress. Actually this have to be a hostname.

      Just for your reference, our MTA (Postfix) is in our DMZ. The Zarafa-server (129.50.20.41) is in our trust zone.

      Why do we get this strange bounce message?

      If you need more info, please let me know.

      Kind regards,

      Roland de Lepper
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
        Roland de Lepper:
        > This is the mail system at host webaccess.brabantia.com.I'm sorry to have
        > to inform you that your message could notbe delivered to one or more
        > recipients. It's attached below.For further assistance, please send mail to
        > postmaster.If you do so, please include this problem report. You candelete
        > your own text from the attached returned message. *The mail system <
        > AAA@...> : host 129.50.20.41[129.50.20.41] said:* 552 5.2.2
        > aaaa.aaaaaaa@... Quota Exceeded (in reply to end of DATA command)

        You have a strange text formatting problem.

        What Postfix sends is this:

        This is the mail system at host webaccess.brabantia.com.

        I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
        delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

        For further assistance, please send mail to
        postmaster.

        If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete
        your own text from the attached returned message.

        The mail system

        <AAA@...>: host 129.50.20.41[129.50.20.41] said: 552
        5.2.2 aaaa.aaaaaaa@... Quota Exceeded (in reply
        to end of DATA command)

        > Please read the cursive red line. AAA@... is not my mailsystem.
        > This is the Zarafa server which use Postfix as MTA. This system checks teh
        > LDAP auth with out Active Directory.

        You have some intermediate software that removes all line breaks from
        the Postfix bounce message, making the text unreadable.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
          In your second bounce message example, at the end of the DATA
          command, the bounce message shows that server and client are out
          of step.

          LINE BREAK HERE

          <s.dewaele@...>: host 129.50.20.41[129.50.20.41]
          said:* 552 5.2.2 r.beerens@... Quota Exceeded (in
          reply to end of DATA command)

          LINE BREAK HERE

          <s.kersten@...>: host 129.50.20.41[129.50.20.41] said:
          552 5.2.2 s.dewaele@... Quota Exceeded (in reply to
          end of DATA command)

          LINE BREAK HERE

          I replaced the domain with "example".

          This shows two things:

          LINE BREAK HERE

          1) Postfix uses the LMTP protocol to deliver mail to the remote
          server at 129.50.20.41. Unlike SMTP this has one "end of data"
          response per recipient.

          LINE BREAK HERE

          2) The responses reveal that the remote LMTP server at 129.50.20.41
          is out of step with the Postfix LMTP client (replies for one
          recipient are sent in place of another recipient). The Postfix
          LMTP client code is 10+ years old. I therefore suspect bugs in
          the remote remote LMTP server. You can demonstrate this with a
          network sniffer (http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#sniffer,
          replace 25 with the port number that you use for LMTP)

          LINE BREAK HERE

          You may be able to prevent the "out of step" problem by turning off
          PIPELINING support.

          LINE BREAK HERE

          /etc/postfix/main.cf:

          LINE BREAK HERE

          # Work around for buggy LMTP servers that mis-implement RFC 2920.

          LINE BREAK HERE

          lmtp_discard_lhlo_keywords = pipelining

          Wietse
        • Roland De Leper
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
            Hi wietse,

            Thanks for your support. I know what to do now.

            Regards,

            Roland de lepper

            Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

            Op 2 apr. 2013 om 15:53 heeft Wietse Venema <wietse@...> het volgende geschreven: