Re: smtp_sender_dependent_authentication hanging

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
      On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:22:43AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

      > > you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning
      >
      > no, if someone has a question he has to provide asked informations
      > or simply shut up in my world and this world works well

      It works well for Reindl, who is yet to realise that he is not the
      only consciousness on the planet.

      As for the OP, he should try again with the correct lookup key for
      the SASL table, and the destination IP address added to debug_peer_list.

      Since the SMTP client reports a timeout receiving the initial
      greeting, a tcpdump capture is helpful to determine what's going
      on after the TCP 3-way handshake.

      http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#sniffer

      If all there is is silence, perhaps the remote server is overloaded
      or having trouble resolving the client's IP address to a name. It
      is also possible that some rate-limiting system is throttling the
      client, due to past login failures, or other policy reasons.

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
        > E7B1E1FA81: conversation with in.mailjet.com[46.105.158.233] timed out
        > while receiving the initial server greeting
        >
        > Obviously it was not really hung but just waiting for something.

        According to the SMTP protocol definition, RFC 5321, the server
        sends the initial greeting before the client sends its first command.

        RFC 5321 section 4.5.3.2.1 recommends 5-minute timeout for this
        protocol stage. This is consistent with the Postfix default:

        smtp_helo_timeout (default: 300s)
        The Postfix SMTP client time limit for sending the HELO
        or EHLO command, and for receiving the initial remote SMTP
        server response.

        Why does the server not greet? Perhaps the server is overloaded.
        It's also possible that they don't want to talk to your system.

        If you make a tcpdump recording, then I expect to see a lot of a
        silence.