Re: smtp_sender_dependent_authentication hanging

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
      Am 30.03.2013 19:28, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
      > On 3/30/2013 2:07 PM, Gerald Vogt wrote:
      >> Sorry, but maybe you should not try to configure a mail server/relay for
      >> the internet if you have trouble understanding this simple error
      >> message. It seems a very bad idea to run an internet server if you have
      >> so many difficulties with the absolute basics (like providing the
      >> information requested multiple times by now...) There are already too
      >> many open relays in the internet...
      >> As the error message says, it times out while receiving the initial
      >> server greeting. There is no dialog. It doesn't even start. There is not
      >> even the initial greeting. So figure what could be the problem for
      >> that... Should be pretty straight forward to understand...

      +1

      > I know very well what the error message means. It is the underlying
      > events that I don't understand. How am I supposed to know if this is a
      > timeout trying to open a port as opposed to making a successful socket
      > connection and then not receiving a response to the HELO command?

      by "telnet in.mailjet.com 25" as everybody looks if a tcp connection
      itself is succesful

      > E7B1E1FA81: conversation with in.mailjet.com[46.105.158.233] timed out
      > while receiving the initial server greeting

      but since we here NOT se a different port as 25 and you refuse MULTIPLE
      tims to post your damned config i guess again that you do not try to
      configrue youre server to submit euthenticated messages to port 587
      and coming from a IP which is not allowed to submit via port 25 for
      whatever reason on the destination - but what do i know because you
      refuse to help others helping you all the time

      so come back with output of "postconf -n" and the both config
      files for "smtp_sender_dependent_authentication" replaced only
      the username and passwort or read manuals and solve your
      troubles at your own
    • Dennis Putnam
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
        On 3/30/2013 4:08 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

        > Am 30.03.2013 19:28, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
        >> On 3/30/2013 2:07 PM, Gerald Vogt wrote:
        >>> Sorry, but maybe you should not try to configure a mail server/relay for
        >>> the internet if you have trouble understanding this simple error
        >>> message. It seems a very bad idea to run an internet server if you have
        >>> so many difficulties with the absolute basics (like providing the
        >>> information requested multiple times by now...) There are already too
        >>> many open relays in the internet...
        >>> As the error message says, it times out while receiving the initial
        >>> server greeting. There is no dialog. It doesn't even start. There is not
        >>> even the initial greeting. So figure what could be the problem for
        >>> that... Should be pretty straight forward to understand...
        > +1
        >
        >> I know very well what the error message means. It is the underlying
        >> events that I don't understand. How am I supposed to know if this is a
        >> timeout trying to open a port as opposed to making a successful socket
        >> connection and then not receiving a response to the HELO command?
        > by "telnet in.mailjet.com 25" as everybody looks if a tcp connection
        > itself is succesful
        >
        >> E7B1E1FA81: conversation with in.mailjet.com[46.105.158.233] timed out
        >> while receiving the initial server greeting
        > but since we here NOT se a different port as 25 and you refuse MULTIPLE
        > tims to post your damned config i guess again that you do not try to
        > configrue youre server to submit euthenticated messages to port 587
        > and coming from a IP which is not allowed to submit via port 25 for
        > whatever reason on the destination - but what do i know because you
        > refuse to help others helping you all the time
        >
        > so come back with output of "postconf -n" and the both config
        > files for "smtp_sender_dependent_authentication" replaced only
        > the username and passwort or read manuals and solve your
        > troubles at your own

        Sorry but I wanted to try to figure this out on my own first. That is
        the way I learn. That is also why all my questions were asking how to
        debug this rather than ask for a solution. I did not mean to come across
        as uncooperative or ungrateful but my mind was just in a different
        solving mode than yours.

        postconf -n

        alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
        alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
        command_directory = /usr/sbin
        config_directory = /etc/postfix
        daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
        data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
        debug_peer_level = 3
        debug_peer_list = 127.0.0.1
        html_directory = no
        inet_interfaces = all
        inet_protocols = all
        mail_owner = postfix
        mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
        manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
        mynetworks_style = host
        queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
        readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES
        relayhost = [smtp.att.yahoo.com]
        sample_directory = /etc/postfix
        sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
        setgid_group = postdrop
        smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
        smtp_helo_name = home.bellsouth.net
        smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
        smtp_sasl_security_options =
        smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
        smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
        smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) (CentOS Linux)
        syslog_name = postfix
        unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

        sasl_passwd

        [in.mailjet.com]
        21a8f6casdasdasdadad850539efca7:ea330afe99asdasdasdasdasdfbbd3fd69

        sender_relay

        myuser@... [in.mailjet.com]:587

        P.S. There is not a socket connection problem. telnet to port 587 works
        fine as does authentication and commands to send a test email.
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
          Am 30.03.2013 23:30, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
          >> so come back with output of "postconf -n" and the both config
          >> files for "smtp_sender_dependent_authentication" replaced only
          >> the username and passwort or read manuals and solve your
          >> troubles at your own
          >>
          > Sorry but I wanted to try to figure this out on my own first

          so leave us in peace until you are done with this

          > That is the way I learn

          and waste others time useless

          > That is also why all my questions were asking how to
          > debug this rather than ask for a solution

          the world doe not work this way

          first you need to understand what you are doing and then
          you can debug and you can not learn if asking questions
          without provide informations

          > I did not mean to come across as uncooperative or ungrateful but my
          > mind was just in a different solving mode than yours

          no problem if your mind works alone

          > sasl_passwd
          >
          > [in.mailjet.com]
          > 21a8f6casdasdasdadad850539efca7:ea330afe99asdasdasdasdasdfbbd3fd69
          >
          > sender_relay
          >
          > myuser@... [in.mailjet.com]:587
          >
          > P.S. There is not a socket connection problem. telnet to port 587 works
          > fine as does authentication and commands to send a test email

          so in "sasl_passwd" you do not use the port

          well, and if you would have provided this info at begin the
          problem would be solved with ONE reply at all

          [in.mailjet.com] is for port 25 as long you do dont specify [in.mailjet.com]:587
        • Dennis Putnam
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
            On 3/30/2013 6:48 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

            > Am 30.03.2013 23:30, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
            >>> so come back with output of "postconf -n" and the both config
            >>> files for "smtp_sender_dependent_authentication" replaced only
            >>> the username and passwort or read manuals and solve your
            >>> troubles at your own
            >>>
            >> Sorry but I wanted to try to figure this out on my own first
            > so leave us in peace until you are done with this
            >
            >> That is the way I learn
            > and waste others time useless
            >
            >> That is also why all my questions were asking how to
            >> debug this rather than ask for a solution
            > the world doe not work this way
            >
            > first you need to understand what you are doing and then
            > you can debug and you can not learn if asking questions
            > without provide informations
            >
            >> I did not mean to come across as uncooperative or ungrateful but my
            >> mind was just in a different solving mode than yours
            > no problem if your mind works alone
            >
            >> sasl_passwd
            >>
            >> [in.mailjet.com]
            >> 21a8f6casdasdasdadad850539efca7:ea330afe99asdasdasdasdasdfbbd3fd69
            >>
            >> sender_relay
            >>
            >> myuser@... [in.mailjet.com]:587
            >>
            >> P.S. There is not a socket connection problem. telnet to port 587 works
            >> fine as does authentication and commands to send a test email
            > so in "sasl_passwd" you do not use the port
            >
            > well, and if you would have provided this info at begin the
            > problem would be solved with ONE reply at all
            >
            > [in.mailjet.com] is for port 25 as long you do dont specify [in.mailjet.com]:587

            First, my ISP blocks port 25 that is why 587 is needed. Second, I tried
            specifying the port in the passwd file and that did not work either. You
            must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning to be so
            unnecessarily rude and ornery. Never mind. I'll find an other source for
            help.
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
              Am 31.03.2013 00:13, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
              > On 3/30/2013 6:48 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
              >>> sasl_passwd
              >>>
              >>> [in.mailjet.com]
              >>> 21a8f6casdasdasdadad850539efca7:ea330afe99asdasdasdasdasdfbbd3fd69
              >>>
              >>> sender_relay
              >>>
              >>> myuser@... [in.mailjet.com]:587
              >>>
              >>> P.S. There is not a socket connection problem. telnet to port 587 works
              >>> fine as does authentication and commands to send a test email
              >> so in "sasl_passwd" you do not use the port
              >>
              >> well, and if you would have provided this info at begin the
              >> problem would be solved with ONE reply at all
              >>
              >> [in.mailjet.com] is for port 25 as long you do dont specify [in.mailjet.com]:587
              >>
              > First, my ISP blocks port 25 that is why 587 is needed. Second, I tried
              > specifying the port in the passwd file and that did not work either. You
              > must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning to be so
              > unnecessarily rude and ornery. Never mind. I'll find an other source for
              > help

              do so

              if you change configurations, provide out of context ones and are not
              able to provide requested infos multiple times i am sure there are
              enough manpages and howtos to learn at your own

              > you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

              no, if someone has a question he has to provide asked informations
              or simply shut up in my world and this world works well
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:22:43AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

                > > you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning
                >
                > no, if someone has a question he has to provide asked informations
                > or simply shut up in my world and this world works well

                It works well for Reindl, who is yet to realise that he is not the
                only consciousness on the planet.

                As for the OP, he should try again with the correct lookup key for
                the SASL table, and the destination IP address added to debug_peer_list.

                Since the SMTP client reports a timeout receiving the initial
                greeting, a tcpdump capture is helpful to determine what's going
                on after the TCP 3-way handshake.

                http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#sniffer

                If all there is is silence, perhaps the remote server is overloaded
                or having trouble resolving the client's IP address to a name. It
                is also possible that some rate-limiting system is throttling the
                client, due to past login failures, or other policy reasons.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                  > E7B1E1FA81: conversation with in.mailjet.com[46.105.158.233] timed out
                  > while receiving the initial server greeting
                  >
                  > Obviously it was not really hung but just waiting for something.

                  According to the SMTP protocol definition, RFC 5321, the server
                  sends the initial greeting before the client sends its first command.

                  RFC 5321 section 4.5.3.2.1 recommends 5-minute timeout for this
                  protocol stage. This is consistent with the Postfix default:

                  smtp_helo_timeout (default: 300s)
                  The Postfix SMTP client time limit for sending the HELO
                  or EHLO command, and for receiving the initial remote SMTP
                  server response.

                  Why does the server not greet? Perhaps the server is overloaded.
                  It's also possible that they don't want to talk to your system.

                  If you make a tcpdump recording, then I expect to see a lot of a
                  silence.