Re: smtp_sender_dependent_authentication help

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30 4:16 AM
      Am 30.03.2013 12:10, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
      > I'm trying to set up smtp_sender_dependent_authentication and am having
      > trouble. Here are the relevant main.cf directives:
      >
      > smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      > smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
      > smtp_sasl_security_options =
      > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
      > alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
      > smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
      > sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
      > smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
      >
      > When I set peer level debugging = 2, there is no attempt to authenticate
      > to the relay host. It simply tries to send mail which is rejected with a
      > relay access denied error. What am I missing?

      without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
      as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything

      did you postmap both files?
    • Dennis Putnam
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30 8:34 AM
        Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
        had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
        authentication failure?

        On 3/30/2013 7:16 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

        > Am 30.03.2013 12:10, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
        >> I'm trying to set up smtp_sender_dependent_authentication and am having
        >> trouble. Here are the relevant main.cf directives:
        >>
        >> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
        >> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
        >> smtp_sasl_security_options =
        >> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
        >> alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
        >> smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
        >> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
        >> smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
        >>
        >> When I set peer level debugging = 2, there is no attempt to authenticate
        >> to the relay host. It simply tries to send mail which is rejected with a
        >> relay access denied error. What am I missing?
        > without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
        > as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything
        >
        > did you postmap both files?

      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30 8:39 AM
          do NOT top-post

          Am 30.03.2013 16:34, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
          > On 3/30/2013 7:16 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
          >>
          >> Am 30.03.2013 12:10, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
          >>> I'm trying to set up smtp_sender_dependent_authentication and am having
          >>> trouble. Here are the relevant main.cf directives:
          >>>
          >>> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
          >>> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
          >>> smtp_sasl_security_options =
          >>> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
          >>> alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
          >>> smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
          >>> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
          >>> smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
          >>>
          >>> When I set peer level debugging = 2, there is no attempt to authenticate
          >>> to the relay host. It simply tries to send mail which is rejected with a
          >>> relay access denied error. What am I missing?
          >> without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
          >> as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything
          >>
          >> did you postmap both files?
          >
          > Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
          > had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
          > authentication failure?

          please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
          without any useful information!

          * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
          * what sort of typo

          provide a valid example
        • Dennis Putnam
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30 8:42 AM
            On 3/30/2013 11:39 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
            > do NOT top-post
            >
            > Am 30.03.2013 16:34, schrieb Dennis Putnam:

            >>> without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
            >>> as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything
            >>>
            >>> did you postmap both files?
            >> Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
            >> had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
            >> authentication failure?
            > please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
            > without any useful information!
            >
            > * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
            > * what sort of typo
            >
            > provide a valid example

            Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists.
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30 8:46 AM
              Am 30.03.2013 16:42, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
              > On 3/30/2013 11:39 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
              >> do NOT top-post

              >>> Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
              >>> had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
              >>> authentication failure?
              >> please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
              >> without any useful information!
              >>
              >> * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
              >> * what sort of typo
              >>
              >> provide a valid example
              >>
              > Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists

              impossible

              you get only the opposite complaint if you post complete logfiles
              and complete, unspecific and large configuration files instead
              post specific parts

              with the informations you posted in this thread you get a complaint
              on ANY mailing-list or no answer at all because our crystal balls
              are broken and so we need infos about what someone speaks to give
              answers
            • Dennis Putnam
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 30 8:54 AM
                On 3/30/2013 11:46 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

                > Am 30.03.2013 16:42, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
                >> On 3/30/2013 11:39 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
                >>> do NOT top-post

                >>> please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
                >>> without any useful information!
                >>>
                >>> * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
                >>> * what sort of typo
                >>>
                >>> provide a valid example
                >>>
                >> Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists
                > impossible
                >
                > you get only the opposite complaint if you post complete logfiles
                > and complete, unspecific and large configuration files instead
                > post specific parts
                >
                > with the informations you posted in this thread you get a complaint
                > on ANY mailing-list or no answer at all because our crystal balls
                > are broken and so we need infos about what someone speaks to give
                > answers
                Are we talking about the same thing? Top posting rather than bottom posting?
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 30 8:59 AM
                  Am 30.03.2013 16:54, schrieb Dennis Putnam:

                  >>> Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists
                  >> impossible
                  >>
                  >> you get only the opposite complaint if you post complete logfiles
                  >> and complete, unspecific and large configuration files instead
                  >> post specific parts
                  >>
                  >> with the informations you posted in this thread you get a complaint
                  >> on ANY mailing-list or no answer at all because our crystal balls
                  >> are broken and so we need infos about what someone speaks to give
                  >> answers
                  >
                  > Are we talking about the same thing? Top posting rather than bottom posting?

                  no - but the same:
                  show me ONE list where you get no complaint for top-posting
                • Dennis Putnam
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 30 9:03 AM
                    Here's 2 (the ones I use the most) where bottom posting gets complaints.

                    rushtalk@...
                    cufsalumni-list@...

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 30 9:15 AM
                      Am 30.03.2013 17:03, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
                      > Here's 2 (the ones I use the most) where bottom posting gets complaints.
                      >
                      > rushtalk@...
                      > cufsalumni-list@...

                      refer this idiots to some examples like:
                      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#Proper_posting_style
                      http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html

                      and look at this message to understand the problem

                      * you write a message
                      * you become a answer at bottom
                      * you answer on top

                      how do you imagine that anybody can follow the thread?