smtp_sender_dependent_authentication help

  • Dennis Putnam
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
      I'm trying to set up smtp_sender_dependent_authentication and am having
      trouble. Here are the relevant main.cf directives:

      smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      smtp_sasl_security_options =
      smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
      alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
      smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
      sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
      smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy

      When I set peer level debugging = 2, there is no attempt to authenticate
      to the relay host. It simply tries to send mail which is rejected with a
      relay access denied error. What am I missing?

      Thanks.
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
        Am 30.03.2013 12:10, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
        > I'm trying to set up smtp_sender_dependent_authentication and am having
        > trouble. Here are the relevant main.cf directives:
        >
        > smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
        > smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
        > smtp_sasl_security_options =
        > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
        > alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
        > smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
        > sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
        > smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
        >
        > When I set peer level debugging = 2, there is no attempt to authenticate
        > to the relay host. It simply tries to send mail which is rejected with a
        > relay access denied error. What am I missing?

        without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
        as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything

        did you postmap both files?
      • Dennis Putnam
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
          Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
          had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
          authentication failure?

          On 3/30/2013 7:16 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

          > Am 30.03.2013 12:10, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
          >> I'm trying to set up smtp_sender_dependent_authentication and am having
          >> trouble. Here are the relevant main.cf directives:
          >>
          >> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
          >> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
          >> smtp_sasl_security_options =
          >> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
          >> alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
          >> smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
          >> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
          >> smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
          >>
          >> When I set peer level debugging = 2, there is no attempt to authenticate
          >> to the relay host. It simply tries to send mail which is rejected with a
          >> relay access denied error. What am I missing?
          > without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
          > as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything
          >
          > did you postmap both files?

        • Reindl Harald
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
            do NOT top-post

            Am 30.03.2013 16:34, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
            > On 3/30/2013 7:16 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
            >>
            >> Am 30.03.2013 12:10, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
            >>> I'm trying to set up smtp_sender_dependent_authentication and am having
            >>> trouble. Here are the relevant main.cf directives:
            >>>
            >>> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
            >>> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
            >>> smtp_sasl_security_options =
            >>> smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
            >>> alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
            >>> smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
            >>> sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
            >>> smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
            >>>
            >>> When I set peer level debugging = 2, there is no attempt to authenticate
            >>> to the relay host. It simply tries to send mail which is rejected with a
            >>> relay access denied error. What am I missing?
            >> without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
            >> as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything
            >>
            >> did you postmap both files?
            >
            > Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
            > had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
            > authentication failure?

            please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
            without any useful information!

            * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
            * what sort of typo

            provide a valid example
          • Dennis Putnam
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
              On 3/30/2013 11:39 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
              > do NOT top-post
              >
              > Am 30.03.2013 16:34, schrieb Dennis Putnam:

              >>> without details of "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" and "/etc/postfix/sender_relay"
              >>> as also a specific log-entry nobody can say anything
              >>>
              >>> did you postmap both files?
              >> Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
              >> had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
              >> authentication failure?
              > please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
              > without any useful information!
              >
              > * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
              > * what sort of typo
              >
              > provide a valid example

              Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists.
            • Reindl Harald
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
                Am 30.03.2013 16:42, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
                > On 3/30/2013 11:39 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
                >> do NOT top-post

                >>> Thanks for the reply. I found the problem but the debug was no help. I
                >>> had a typo in the password file. Why did debug level 2 not indicate an
                >>> authentication failure?
                >> please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
                >> without any useful information!
                >>
                >> * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
                >> * what sort of typo
                >>
                >> provide a valid example
                >>
                > Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists

                impossible

                you get only the opposite complaint if you post complete logfiles
                and complete, unspecific and large configuration files instead
                post specific parts

                with the informations you posted in this thread you get a complaint
                on ANY mailing-list or no answer at all because our crystal balls
                are broken and so we need infos about what someone speaks to give
                answers
              • Dennis Putnam
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
                  On 3/30/2013 11:46 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

                  > Am 30.03.2013 16:42, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
                  >> On 3/30/2013 11:39 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
                  >>> do NOT top-post

                  >>> please try to understand that nobody can answer your questions
                  >>> without any useful information!
                  >>>
                  >>> * why should "debug_level" indicate a authentication failure?
                  >>> * what sort of typo
                  >>>
                  >>> provide a valid example
                  >>>
                  >> Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists
                  > impossible
                  >
                  > you get only the opposite complaint if you post complete logfiles
                  > and complete, unspecific and large configuration files instead
                  > post specific parts
                  >
                  > with the informations you posted in this thread you get a complaint
                  > on ANY mailing-list or no answer at all because our crystal balls
                  > are broken and so we need infos about what someone speaks to give
                  > answers
                  Are we talking about the same thing? Top posting rather than bottom posting?
                • Reindl Harald
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
                    Am 30.03.2013 16:54, schrieb Dennis Putnam:

                    >>> Sorry. Habit. I get the opposite complaint from all my other lists
                    >> impossible
                    >>
                    >> you get only the opposite complaint if you post complete logfiles
                    >> and complete, unspecific and large configuration files instead
                    >> post specific parts
                    >>
                    >> with the informations you posted in this thread you get a complaint
                    >> on ANY mailing-list or no answer at all because our crystal balls
                    >> are broken and so we need infos about what someone speaks to give
                    >> answers
                    >
                    > Are we talking about the same thing? Top posting rather than bottom posting?

                    no - but the same:
                    show me ONE list where you get no complaint for top-posting
                  • Dennis Putnam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
                      Here's 2 (the ones I use the most) where bottom posting gets complaints.

                      rushtalk@...
                      cufsalumni-list@...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
                        Am 30.03.2013 17:03, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
                        > Here's 2 (the ones I use the most) where bottom posting gets complaints.
                        >
                        > rushtalk@...
                        > cufsalumni-list@...

                        refer this idiots to some examples like:
                        http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#Proper_posting_style
                        http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html

                        and look at this message to understand the problem

                        * you write a message
                        * you become a answer at bottom
                        * you answer on top

                        how do you imagine that anybody can follow the thread?