Re: Distributed Postfix

  • Bill Cole
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
      On 26 Mar 2013, at 6:51, Gaby L wrote:

      > Hi
      > My teoretic question is how configure multiple (distributed) postfix
      > mail servers for one domain,which can load balance tasks? (e.g
      > gmail),but all servers same (unique) users list,alias,rules for one
      > domain?

      As Dr. Venema's answer implies, splitting up functions (especially
      non-Postfix functions) between different sets of machines is the first
      step, as it is easier to distribute limited subsets of work across many
      machines than to replicate everything on every box and keep them all
      coherent. A corollary of this is that you need to start by
      understanding what your "Postfix mail server" actually is doing.
      Inbound, outbound, and internal mail can be split apart between distinct
      Postfix configurations, while access to delivered mail (i.e. IMAP, POP,
      or webmail) is a non-Postfix function that is inherently the most
      difficult part of a "mail server" to distribute across many nodes.

      Because large-scale "mail servers" aren't all "large" in the same way,
      how one should split up and replicate functionality between machines is
      dependent on the details of what the whole system is doing.
    • Gaby L
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
          I have refered to split only postfix functions,but for it ,is need create coherent users system.
         For example if I create one user in gmail system,this user physical is stored only one central machine then is accesed through diverse distribute mechanism (same DNS),or is replicate in all machine?

        thanks