Distributed Postfix

  • Gaby L
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013

      Hi
        My teoretic question is how configure multiple (distributed) postfix mail servers for one domain,which can load balance tasks? (e.g gmail),but all servers same (unique) users list,alias,rules for one domain?

      Thanks
      gaby

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
        Gaby L:
        > Hi
        > My teoretic question is how configure multiple (distributed)
        > postfix mail servers for one domain,which can load balance tasks?

        Multiple DNS MX records, multiple DNS A records, or a TCP-level
        load balancer.

        > but all servers same (unique) users list,alias,rules
        > for one domain?

        Users, aliases, etc. in LDAP, MySQL or equivalent, perhaps with
        memcache accelerator. Postfix has built-in support for these.

        In addition to Postfix, this would require a message store that
        Postfix MTAs can deliver mail to, and that users can read mail from.
        The message store is not part of Postfix.

        Wietse
      • Victor d'Agostino
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
          2013/3/26 Gaby L <gaby@...>

          Hi
            My teoretic question is how configure multiple (distributed) postfix mail servers for one domain,which can load balance tasks? (e.g gmail),but all servers same (unique) users list,alias,rules for one domain?

          Thanks
          gaby

          Hi,

          First, you can easily share or have a clone of /etc/postfix/ (nfs, rsync, etc) and also centralise your /var/log/maillog log file with rsyslog.

          If you don't need fault tolerance, load balancing is very easy to set with haproxy which is a tool to load balance tcp connections.

          If you do need fault tolerance you can do something like that :

          We did this in my company but it was pretty useless (50.000 emails per day is not a big deal). I think fault tolerance is more important than load balancing.

          Regards,

          Victor d'Agostino
        • Victor d'Agostino

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
              On 26 Mar 2013, at 6:51, Gaby L wrote:

              > Hi
              > My teoretic question is how configure multiple (distributed) postfix
              > mail servers for one domain,which can load balance tasks? (e.g
              > gmail),but all servers same (unique) users list,alias,rules for one
              > domain?

              As Dr. Venema's answer implies, splitting up functions (especially
              non-Postfix functions) between different sets of machines is the first
              step, as it is easier to distribute limited subsets of work across many
              machines than to replicate everything on every box and keep them all
              coherent. A corollary of this is that you need to start by
              understanding what your "Postfix mail server" actually is doing.
              Inbound, outbound, and internal mail can be split apart between distinct
              Postfix configurations, while access to delivered mail (i.e. IMAP, POP,
              or webmail) is a non-Postfix function that is inherently the most
              difficult part of a "mail server" to distribute across many nodes.

              Because large-scale "mail servers" aren't all "large" in the same way,
              how one should split up and replicate functionality between machines is
              dependent on the details of what the whole system is doing.
            • Gaby L
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
                  I have refered to split only postfix functions,but for it ,is need create coherent users system.
                 For example if I create one user in gmail system,this user physical is stored only one central machine then is accesed through diverse distribute mechanism (same DNS),or is replicate in all machine?

                thanks