Re: how to masquerade / map the from: field without masquerading the rcpt to:

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2013
      Etienne Simard:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm doing some tests to hopefully use postfix instead of the other MTA
      > but I tried different ways of masquerading the domain name with
      > another one and I am not successful.
      > The closest I got was using
      >
      > mydomain = example.net
      > masquerade_domains = example.org, example.net

      masquerade_domains is a hack for poorly-organized sites. It is
      better if systems send mail with an valid email address.

      If that is not possible, consider using smtp_generic_maps on the
      boundary between the chaos and the external network. Use the same
      rewriting strategy as described, for a different problem, in
      http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#fantasy

      masquerade_domains breaks all kinds of things in Postfix, and it
      should probably be phased out, now that smtp_generic_maps exists.

      Wietse
    • Etienne Simard
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2013
        Thanks for the quick response.

        The problem i have with the smtp_generic_maps is that when I put
        "@... @..."
        in the map it works, but it also changes the RCPT TO addresses.

        So if I send from esimard@... to wietse@... it will
        now try to send emails to wietse@... which does not exist.

        Is there a way around that?

        Regards,

        --
        Etienne Simard
        Network and systems administrator | Acquisio

        Tel: 450.465.2631 ext. 265
        Cell: 514-836-9183
        Email: esimard@...

        Follow Us:
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/acquisio
        LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/acquisio
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/acquisio

        6300 Auteuil, suite 300 | Brossard, Qu├ębec J4Z 3P2
        Toll Free: 1.866.493.9070 | www.acquisio.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2013
          Etienne Simard:
          > Thanks for the quick response.
          >
          > The problem i have with the smtp_generic_maps is that when I put
          > in the map it works, but it also changes the RCPT TO addresses.

          Use the right tool for the right job.

          Use smtp_generic_maps on the network boundary, to transform addresses
          that are valid only inside the network, into addresses that are
          valid outside the network, without exceptions.

          Use aliases on the network boundary MTA, to route mail that enters
          the network from outside, to whatever addresses you use internally.