Re: Trouble configuring backup MX to reject unauth destination

    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 22 1:55 PM
      Titanus Eramius:
      > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others), and
      > while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550 when
      > sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual domains.
      > Instead they are accepted and then returned by the MAILER_DAEMON, which
      > in turn opens the server to backscatter.

      Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
      virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.

      This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
      local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
      relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
      place then mail will be rejected.

      See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

      Wietse
    • Titanus Eramius
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 22 4:02 PM
        Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
        <wietse@...>:

        > Titanus Eramius:
        > > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others),
        > > and while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550
        > > when sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual
        > > domains. Instead they are accepted and then returned by the
        > > MAILER_DAEMON, which in turn opens the server to backscatter.
        >
        > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
        > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
        >
        > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
        > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
        > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
        > place then mail will be rejected.
        >
        > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
        >
        > Wietse

        The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
        in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
        virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
        virtual_alias_maps.

        The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
        can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
        could find in relation to virtual handling.

        One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
        users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
        "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
        unknown in virtual mailbox table".

        When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
        user unknown"

        Thank you for your time, Titanus
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 22 4:12 PM
          Titanus Eramius:
          > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
          > > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
          > > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
          > >
          > > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
          > > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
          > > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
          > > place then mail will be rejected.
          > >
          > > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
          >
          > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
          > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
          > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
          > virtual_alias_maps.

          With the domain defined in virtual_mailbox_domains, mail will fail
          with "user unknown in virtual mailbox table" when the recipient is
          not found in virtual_mailbox_maps. This is described in agonizing
          detail in ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

          Test your lookups:

          postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
          This should return a result (the value does not matter).

          postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
          This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

          postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
          This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
          in virtual mailbox table").

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 24 1:36 AM
            Le 23/03/2013 00:02, Titanus Eramius a écrit :
            > [snip]
            > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
            > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
            > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
            > virtual_alias_maps.
            >
            > The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
            > can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
            > could find in relation to virtual handling.
            >
            > One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
            > users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
            > "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
            > unknown in virtual mailbox table".
            >
            > When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
            > user unknown"

            one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
            @... ==> @...
            (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

            if so, that's your problem. you need to configure mappings only for
            existing users.
            since you use mysql, this should be easy to do.
          • Titanus Eramius
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 25 8:00 AM
              Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
              <wietse@...>:

              > Test your lookups:
              >
              > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
              > This should return a result (the value does not matter).

              aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
              mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
              cogky.dk

              > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
              > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

              aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
              mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
              cogky.dk/real-user/

              > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
              > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
              > in virtual mailbox table").

              And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

              Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:36:03 +0100 skrev mouss <mouss@...>:

              > one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
              > @... ==> @...
              > (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

              As far as I can see that should not be the case. All addresses and
              aliases in the database have a left hand side to it. Is there a way to
              test this?

              I'm using Dovecot 2 as LDA for final delivery and IMAP-services, so
              "virtual_transport" is set to "dovecot" in main.cf and the following
              lines are in master.cf:

              dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
              flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d
              ${recipient}

              When looking through the log, it looks like the "user unknown"
              response comes from Dovecot and not Postfix:

              Mar 25 13:43:53 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: connect from
              unknown[92.243.255.38]

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]:
              Anonymous TLS connection established from unknown[92.243.255.38]: TLSv1
              with cipher DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA (128/128 bits)

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget dovecot: auth-worker(24136): mysql(localhost):
              Connected to database postfix

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: BB6AD371DDC4:
              client=unknown[92.243.255.38], sasl_method=LOGIN,
              sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connection from: 127.0.0.1
              port: 48937 slots: 0 of 4096 used

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connecting to mysql database:
              localhost

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connected..

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: rcpt=16, throttle=clear(a),
              host=92.243.255.38, from=titanus@..., to=unknown-user@...,
              size=365/26214400, quota=365/1800000000, count=1/125(10),
              rcpt=1/600(11), threshold=0%|0%|0%, sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: BB6AD371DDC4:
              message-id=<20130325134351.5c2e026f@...>

              Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4:
              from=<titanus@...>, size=663, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

              Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/pipe[24140]: BB6AD371DDC4:
              to=<unknown-user@...>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.38,
              delays=0.26/0.03/0/0.09, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown)

              Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: 16228371DE3E:
              message-id=<20130325124355.16228371DE3E@...>

              Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/bounce[24142]: BB6AD371DDC4: sender
              non-delivery notification: 16228371DE3E

              Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: 16228371DE3E: from=<>,
              size=2673, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

              Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4: removed

              Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: disconnect from
              unknown[92.243.255.38]

              Thank you again for helping
              Titanus

              postconf -n
              alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

              bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

              broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

              config_directory = /etc/postfix

              delay_warning_time = 4

              disable_vrfy_command = yes

              dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1

              inet_interfaces = 46.21.105.38

              local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

              mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1

              maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

              message_size_limit = 26214400

              mydestination = localhost

              mydomain = aptget.dk

              myhostname = aptget.aptget.dk

              mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

              postscreen_dnsbl_action = enforce
              postscreen_dnsbl_sites = truncate.gbudb.net*2 b.barracudacentral.org*1
              zen.spamhaus.org*1 bl.spamcop.net*1

              postscreen_dnsbl_threshold = 2

              postscreen_greet_action = enforce

              recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

              recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
              tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

              sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

              sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
              tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

              smtp_tls_security_level = may

              smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
              btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

              smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
              reject_multi_recipient_bounce,

              smtpd_helo_required = yes

              smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender,
              reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_sender_domain,
              reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination,

              smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

              smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

              smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

              smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

              smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

              smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

              smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

              smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

              smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

              smtpd_tls_security_level = may

              smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
              btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

              spamassassin_destination_recipient_limit = 1

              tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

              transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

              virtual_alias_maps =
              proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

              virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

              virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail

              virtual_mailbox_domains =
              proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf

              virtual_mailbox_maps =
              proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

              virtual_transport = dovecot

              virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 25 8:30 AM
                Titanus Eramius:
                > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                > <wietse@...>:
                >
                > > Test your lookups:
                > >
                > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                >
                > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                > cogky.dk
                >
                > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                >
                > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                > cogky.dk/real-user/
                >
                > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                > > in virtual mailbox table").
                >
                > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

                OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                why the bogus recipient is accepted:

                Next step:

                - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try

                $ telnet hostname 25
                ehlo ...
                mail from:<>
                rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                quit

                One recipient should be accepted, the other not.

                - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:

                $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                ehlo ...
                mail from:<>
                rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                quit

                This is just in case.

                Wietse
              • Titanus Eramius
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 25 10:09 AM
                  Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:30:41 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                  <wietse@...>:

                  > Titanus Eramius:
                  > > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                  > > <wietse@...>:
                  > >
                  > > > Test your lookups:
                  > > >
                  > > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                  > > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                  > >
                  > > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                  > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                  > > cogky.dk
                  > >
                  > > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                  > > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                  > >
                  > > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                  > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                  > > cogky.dk/real-user/
                  > >
                  > > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                  > > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                  > > > in virtual mailbox table").
                  > >
                  > > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.
                  >
                  > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                  > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                  >
                  > Next step:
                  >
                  > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                  >
                  > $ telnet hostname 25
                  > ehlo ...
                  > mail from:<>
                  > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                  > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                  > quit
                  >
                  > One recipient should be accepted, the other not.
                  >
                  > - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:
                  >
                  > $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                  > ehlo ...
                  > mail from:<>
                  > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                  > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                  > quit
                  >
                  > This is just in case.
                  >
                  > Wietse

                  Both RCPT TOs are successful

                  titanus@asrock:~$ telnet 46.21.105.38 25
                  Trying 46.21.105.38...
                  Connected to 46.21.105.38.
                  Escape character is '^]'.
                  220 aptget.aptget.dk ESMTP Postfix
                  EHLO Hej
                  250-aptget.aptget.dk
                  250-PIPELINING
                  250-SIZE 26214400
                  250-ETRN
                  250-STARTTLS
                  250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
                  250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                  250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                  250-8BITMIME
                  250 DSN
                  MAIL FROM:<>
                  250 2.1.0 Ok
                  RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                  250 2.1.5 Ok
                  RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                  250 2.1.5 Ok
                  QUIT
                  221 2.0.0 Bye
                  Connection closed by foreign host.

                  If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                  then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                  When trying with submission through telnet, I'm afraid I can't get the
                  syntax right. But when using the mail client Claws Mail, Postfix
                  accepts non-existent addresses for cogky.dk

                  [17:51:52] ESMTP< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
                  [17:51:52] ESMTP> MAIL FROM:<nicky@...> SIZE=371
                  [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.0 Ok
                  [17:51:52] SMTP> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                  [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.5 Ok

                  Thank you, Titanus
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 25 11:09 AM
                    Titanus Eramius:
                    > > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                    > > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                    > >
                    > > Next step:
                    > >
                    > > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                    > MAIL FROM:<>
                    > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                    > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                    > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                    > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                    > 250 2.1.5 Ok

                    > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                    > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                    You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                    @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.

                    Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913

                    Wietse
                  • Titanus Eramius
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                      <wietse@...>:

                      > Titanus Eramius:

                      > > MAIL FROM:<>
                      > > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                      > > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                      > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                      > > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                      > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                      >
                      > > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                      > > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                      > > table".
                      >
                      > You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                      > @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                      >
                      > Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                      >
                      > Wietse

                      Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                      problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                      always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                      bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                      I have converted virtual_mailbox_maps and virtual_mailbox_domains to
                      textfiles, so it should be easier to debug on the setup. Please note
                      that I had to change server to experiment like this, since I depend
                      on the other server.

                      The servername is nt-data.dk, and the hosted domain (which all mail is
                      accepted for) is nt-backup.dk. The behavior is the same, so mail sent
                      to non_existent@... is rejected, while mail sent to
                      non_existent@... is accepted, and then bounced.

                      In main.cf (please see the bottom for postconf -n) is
                      virtual_mailbox_domains =
                      hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                      virtual_mailbox_maps =
                      hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                      And the content of those files is
                      virtual_mailbox_domains.cf:
                      nt-backup.dk OK
                      nt-data.dk OK

                      virtual_mailbox_maps.cf:
                      test@... OK
                      info@... OK

                      It all works like a charm, besides the point that Postfix accepts
                      mail to non-existent users on the hosted domain.

                      In addition I have read through the relevant documentation again, but I
                      still can't figure out where or what the problem might be.

                      Thanks again

                      postconf -n
                      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

                      bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

                      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

                      config_directory = /etc/postfix

                      delay_warning_time = 4

                      disable_vrfy_command = yes

                      inet_interfaces = all

                      local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

                      maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

                      mydestination =

                      myhostname = ntdata.nt-data.dk

                      mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

                      recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

                      recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                      tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

                      sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

                      sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                      tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

                      smtp_tls_security_level = may

                      smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
                      btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

                      smtpd_data_restrictions =
                      reject_unauth_pipelining,
                      reject_multi_recipient_bounce,
                      permit

                      smtpd_helo_required = yes

                      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                      reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                      reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                      reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                      reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
                      reject_rbl_client truncate.gbudb.net,
                      reject_unauth_destination,
                      permit

                      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

                      smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

                      smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

                      smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

                      smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

                      smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

                      smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

                      smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

                      smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

                      smtpd_tls_security_level = may

                      smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
                      btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

                      tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

                      transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

                      virtual_mailbox_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf

                      virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                      virtual_transport = dovecot
                    • Brian Evans
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
                        On 4/5/2013 6:56 AM, Titanus Eramius wrote:
                        > Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                        > <wietse@...>:
                        >
                        >> Titanus Eramius:
                        >>> MAIL FROM:<>
                        >>> 250 2.1.0 Ok
                        >>> RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                        >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                        >>> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                        >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                        >>> If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                        >>> then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                        >>> table".
                        >> You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                        >> @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                        >>
                        >> Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                        >> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                        >>
                        >> Wietse
                        > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                        > problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                        > always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                        > bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                        You say you return "false"?
                        Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                        virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                        Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it does
                        not exist.

                        Brian
                      • Titanus Eramius
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
                          Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:49:39 -0400 skrev Brian Evans
                          <grknight@...>:

                          > > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve
                          > > the problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query
                          > > that always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail,
                          > > and then bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.
                          >
                          > You say you return "false"?
                          > Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                          > virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                          > Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it
                          > does not exist.

                          False may be the wrong word, and I'm sorry if it is. What I mean is,
                          virtual_mailbox_maps always returns nothing from MySQL, like so:

                          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q test@...
                          mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                          1
                          (this user exists)

                          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q non_existent@...
                          mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                          titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                          1
                          (this user does not)

                          I did this because I had some trouble constructing the query-string
                          Wietse recommended, and thought this would be a simple and easy way to
                          test if virtual_mailbox_maps was the problem.

                          When trying the syntax within the MySQL CLI, a "Empty set" is returned
                          when querying for a non-existent user

                          mysql> SELECT username FROM mailbox
                          -> WHERE username = 'non_existent@...';
                          Empty set (0.00 sec)

                          I hope this better explains what I meant
                          Cheers
                        • Titanus Eramius
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 6, 2013
                            Solved it :-)

                            When sending to unknown users, Postfix now rejects the mail with "User
                            unknown in virtual mailbox table", and it does so for hosted (that is,
                            virtual mailbox domains) domains as well.

                            It seems the SRS-daemon* I have been using with the main.cf parameters
                            recipient_canonical_maps
                            recipient_canonical_classes
                            sender_canonical_maps
                            sender_canonical_classes

                            was the root of the problem. I have just commented them out to solve
                            it. Reading through the documentation for those four parameters, does
                            not seem to indicate why they would mess with Postfix' ability to use
                            virtual_mailbox_maps.

                            But I guess my lack of understanding about Postfix internals is a
                            problem as well. I am sorry for the wasted time, and would like to
                            thank all who helped out.

                            Have a nice weekend

                            * https://github.com/Fruneau/pfixtools