Re: Trouble configuring backup MX to reject unauth destination

  • Titanus Eramius
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
      Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:31:05 +0000 skrev Viktor Dukhovni
      <postfix-users@...>:

      > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:21:35PM +0100, Titanus Eramius wrote:
      >
      > > I've tried with relay_domains, but it matches on domain-level which
      > > is too much. I then applied relay_recipient_maps, but it don't seem
      > > to have any effect, which means that addresses is still matched on
      > > domain basis.
      > >
      > > Every Postfix will have access to a complete list of recipients
      > > through MySQL.
      > >
      > > So the question becomes two-part:
      > > Why can't I get relay_recipient_maps to work?
      >
      > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
      > http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#backup
      >
      > Wildcard entries in canonical_maps and virtual_alias_maps are the
      > most common reason for recipient validation failing to distinguish
      > between valid and invalid recipients.

      Thank you for the response and sorry for the slow reply.

      The problem seems to be related with the virtual setup, but I'm not
      sure how to best describe and document it.

      Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others), and
      while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550 when
      sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual domains.
      Instead they are accepted and then returned by the MAILER_DAEMON, which
      in turn opens the server to backscatter.

      I have tried setting "local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps"
      in main.cf, but without any apparent effect. To be honest, I'm unsure if
      I have set "virtual_mailbox_maps" correct, but when testing it with
      postalias it seems to work
      titanus@aptget:/etc/postfix$ sudo postalias -q titanus@...
      mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
      aptget.dk/titanus/

      When I test mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf with a non-existent address,
      nothing is returned and the exit status is 1.

      What I would like to achieve, is that Postfix rejects mail to
      non-existent recipients before accepting mail.

      Thanks again, Titanus

      postconf -n
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

      bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

      config_directory = /etc/postfix

      delay_warning_time = 4

      disable_vrfy_command = yes

      dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1

      inet_interfaces = 46.21.105.38

      local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

      mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1

      maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

      message_size_limit = 26214400

      mydestination = localhost

      mydomain = aptget.dk

      myhostname = aptget.aptget.dk

      mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

      postscreen_dnsbl_action = enforce

      postscreen_dnsbl_sites = truncate.gbudb.net*2 b.barracudacentral.org*1
      zen.spamhaus.org*1 bl.spamcop.net*1

      postscreen_dnsbl_threshold = 2

      postscreen_greet_action = enforce

      recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

      recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
      tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

      sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

      sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
      tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

      smtp_tls_security_level = may

      smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
      btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

      smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
      reject_multi_recipient_bounce,

      smtpd_helo_required = yes

      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender,
      reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_sender_domain,
      reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination,

      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

      smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

      smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

      smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

      smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

      smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

      smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

      smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

      smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

      smtpd_tls_security_level = may

      smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
      btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

      spamassassin_destination_recipient_limit = 1

      tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

      transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

      virtual_alias_maps =
      proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

      virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

      virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail

      virtual_mailbox_domains =
      proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf

      virtual_mailbox_maps =
      proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

      virtual_transport = dovecot

      virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
        Titanus Eramius:
        > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others), and
        > while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550 when
        > sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual domains.
        > Instead they are accepted and then returned by the MAILER_DAEMON, which
        > in turn opens the server to backscatter.

        Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
        virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.

        This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
        local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
        relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
        place then mail will be rejected.

        See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

        Wietse
      • Titanus Eramius
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
          Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
          <wietse@...>:

          > Titanus Eramius:
          > > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others),
          > > and while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550
          > > when sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual
          > > domains. Instead they are accepted and then returned by the
          > > MAILER_DAEMON, which in turn opens the server to backscatter.
          >
          > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
          > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
          >
          > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
          > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
          > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
          > place then mail will be rejected.
          >
          > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
          >
          > Wietse

          The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
          in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
          virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
          virtual_alias_maps.

          The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
          can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
          could find in relation to virtual handling.

          One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
          users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
          "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
          unknown in virtual mailbox table".

          When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
          user unknown"

          Thank you for your time, Titanus
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
            Titanus Eramius:
            > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
            > > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
            > > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
            > >
            > > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
            > > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
            > > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
            > > place then mail will be rejected.
            > >
            > > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
            >
            > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
            > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
            > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
            > virtual_alias_maps.

            With the domain defined in virtual_mailbox_domains, mail will fail
            with "user unknown in virtual mailbox table" when the recipient is
            not found in virtual_mailbox_maps. This is described in agonizing
            detail in ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

            Test your lookups:

            postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
            This should return a result (the value does not matter).

            postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
            This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

            postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
            This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
            in virtual mailbox table").

            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 24, 2013
              Le 23/03/2013 00:02, Titanus Eramius a écrit :
              > [snip]
              > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
              > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
              > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
              > virtual_alias_maps.
              >
              > The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
              > can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
              > could find in relation to virtual handling.
              >
              > One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
              > users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
              > "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
              > unknown in virtual mailbox table".
              >
              > When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
              > user unknown"

              one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
              @... ==> @...
              (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

              if so, that's your problem. you need to configure mappings only for
              existing users.
              since you use mysql, this should be easy to do.
            • Titanus Eramius
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                <wietse@...>:

                > Test your lookups:
                >
                > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                > This should return a result (the value does not matter).

                aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                cogky.dk

                > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

                aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                cogky.dk/real-user/

                > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                > in virtual mailbox table").

                And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

                Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:36:03 +0100 skrev mouss <mouss@...>:

                > one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
                > @... ==> @...
                > (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

                As far as I can see that should not be the case. All addresses and
                aliases in the database have a left hand side to it. Is there a way to
                test this?

                I'm using Dovecot 2 as LDA for final delivery and IMAP-services, so
                "virtual_transport" is set to "dovecot" in main.cf and the following
                lines are in master.cf:

                dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
                flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d
                ${recipient}

                When looking through the log, it looks like the "user unknown"
                response comes from Dovecot and not Postfix:

                Mar 25 13:43:53 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: connect from
                unknown[92.243.255.38]

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]:
                Anonymous TLS connection established from unknown[92.243.255.38]: TLSv1
                with cipher DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA (128/128 bits)

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget dovecot: auth-worker(24136): mysql(localhost):
                Connected to database postfix

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                client=unknown[92.243.255.38], sasl_method=LOGIN,
                sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connection from: 127.0.0.1
                port: 48937 slots: 0 of 4096 used

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connecting to mysql database:
                localhost

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connected..

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: rcpt=16, throttle=clear(a),
                host=92.243.255.38, from=titanus@..., to=unknown-user@...,
                size=365/26214400, quota=365/1800000000, count=1/125(10),
                rcpt=1/600(11), threshold=0%|0%|0%, sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                message-id=<20130325134351.5c2e026f@...>

                Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                from=<titanus@...>, size=663, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

                Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/pipe[24140]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                to=<unknown-user@...>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.38,
                delays=0.26/0.03/0/0.09, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown)

                Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: 16228371DE3E:
                message-id=<20130325124355.16228371DE3E@...>

                Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/bounce[24142]: BB6AD371DDC4: sender
                non-delivery notification: 16228371DE3E

                Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: 16228371DE3E: from=<>,
                size=2673, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

                Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4: removed

                Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: disconnect from
                unknown[92.243.255.38]

                Thank you again for helping

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                  Titanus Eramius:
                  > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                  > <wietse@...>:
                  >
                  > > Test your lookups:
                  > >
                  > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                  > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                  >
                  > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                  > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                  > cogky.dk
                  >
                  > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                  > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                  >
                  > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                  > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                  > cogky.dk/real-user/
                  >
                  > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                  > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                  > > in virtual mailbox table").
                  >
                  > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

                  OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                  why the bogus recipient is accepted:

                  Next step:

                  - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try

                  $ telnet hostname 25
                  ehlo ...
                  mail from:<>
                  rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                  rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                  quit

                  One recipient should be accepted, the other not.

                  - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:

                  $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                  ehlo ...
                  mail from:<>
                  rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                  rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                  quit

                  This is just in case.

                  Wietse
                • Titanus Eramius
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                    Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:30:41 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                    <wietse@...>:

                    > Titanus Eramius:
                    > > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                    > > <wietse@...>:
                    > >
                    > > > Test your lookups:
                    > > >
                    > > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                    > > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                    > >
                    > > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                    > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                    > > cogky.dk
                    > >
                    > > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                    > > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                    > >
                    > > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                    > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                    > > cogky.dk/real-user/
                    > >
                    > > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                    > > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                    > > > in virtual mailbox table").
                    > >
                    > > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.
                    >
                    > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                    > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                    >
                    > Next step:
                    >
                    > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                    >
                    > $ telnet hostname 25
                    > ehlo ...
                    > mail from:<>
                    > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                    > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                    > quit
                    >
                    > One recipient should be accepted, the other not.
                    >
                    > - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:
                    >
                    > $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                    > ehlo ...
                    > mail from:<>
                    > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                    > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                    > quit
                    >
                    > This is just in case.
                    >
                    > Wietse

                    Both RCPT TOs are successful

                    titanus@asrock:~$ telnet 46.21.105.38 25
                    Trying 46.21.105.38...
                    Connected to 46.21.105.38.
                    Escape character is '^]'.
                    220 aptget.aptget.dk ESMTP Postfix
                    EHLO Hej
                    250-aptget.aptget.dk
                    250-PIPELINING
                    250-SIZE 26214400
                    250-ETRN
                    250-STARTTLS
                    250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
                    250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                    250-8BITMIME
                    250 DSN
                    MAIL FROM:<>
                    250 2.1.0 Ok
                    RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                    250 2.1.5 Ok
                    RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                    250 2.1.5 Ok
                    QUIT
                    221 2.0.0 Bye
                    Connection closed by foreign host.

                    If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                    then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                    When trying with submission through telnet, I'm afraid I can't get the
                    syntax right. But when using the mail client Claws Mail, Postfix
                    accepts non-existent addresses for cogky.dk

                    [17:51:52] ESMTP< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
                    [17:51:52] ESMTP> MAIL FROM:<nicky@...> SIZE=371
                    [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.0 Ok
                    [17:51:52] SMTP> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                    [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.5 Ok

                    Thank you, Titanus
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                      Titanus Eramius:
                      > > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                      > > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                      > >
                      > > Next step:
                      > >
                      > > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                      > MAIL FROM:<>
                      > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                      > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                      > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                      > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                      > 250 2.1.5 Ok

                      > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                      > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                      You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                      @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.

                      Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913

                      Wietse
                    • Titanus Eramius
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 5 3:56 AM
                        Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                        <wietse@...>:

                        > Titanus Eramius:

                        > > MAIL FROM:<>
                        > > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                        > > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                        > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                        > > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                        > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                        >
                        > > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                        > > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                        > > table".
                        >
                        > You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                        > @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                        >
                        > Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                        > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                        >
                        > Wietse

                        Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                        problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                        always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                        bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                        I have converted virtual_mailbox_maps and virtual_mailbox_domains to
                        textfiles, so it should be easier to debug on the setup. Please note
                        that I had to change server to experiment like this, since I depend
                        on the other server.

                        The servername is nt-data.dk, and the hosted domain (which all mail is
                        accepted for) is nt-backup.dk. The behavior is the same, so mail sent
                        to non_existent@... is rejected, while mail sent to
                        non_existent@... is accepted, and then bounced.

                        In main.cf (please see the bottom for postconf -n) is
                        virtual_mailbox_domains =
                        hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                        virtual_mailbox_maps =
                        hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                        And the content of those files is
                        virtual_mailbox_domains.cf:
                        nt-backup.dk OK
                        nt-data.dk OK

                        virtual_mailbox_maps.cf:
                        test@... OK
                        info@... OK

                        It all works like a charm, besides the point that Postfix accepts
                        mail to non-existent users on the hosted domain.

                        In addition I have read through the relevant documentation again, but I
                        still can't figure out where or what the problem might be.

                        Thanks again

                        postconf -n
                        alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

                        bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

                        broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

                        config_directory = /etc/postfix

                        delay_warning_time = 4

                        disable_vrfy_command = yes

                        inet_interfaces = all

                        local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

                        maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

                        mydestination =

                        myhostname = ntdata.nt-data.dk

                        mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

                        recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

                        recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                        tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

                        sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

                        sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                        tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

                        smtp_tls_security_level = may

                        smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
                        btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

                        smtpd_data_restrictions =
                        reject_unauth_pipelining,
                        reject_multi_recipient_bounce,
                        permit

                        smtpd_helo_required = yes

                        smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                        reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                        reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                        reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                        reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
                        reject_rbl_client truncate.gbudb.net,
                        reject_unauth_destination,
                        permit

                        smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

                        smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

                        smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

                        smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

                        smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

                        smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

                        smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

                        smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

                        smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

                        smtpd_tls_security_level = may

                        smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
                        btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

                        tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

                        transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

                        virtual_mailbox_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf

                        virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                        virtual_transport = dovecot
                      • Brian Evans
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 5 5:49 AM
                          On 4/5/2013 6:56 AM, Titanus Eramius wrote:
                          > Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                          > <wietse@...>:
                          >
                          >> Titanus Eramius:
                          >>> MAIL FROM:<>
                          >>> 250 2.1.0 Ok
                          >>> RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                          >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                          >>> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                          >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                          >>> If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                          >>> then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                          >>> table".
                          >> You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                          >> @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                          >>
                          >> Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                          >> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                          >>
                          >> Wietse
                          > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                          > problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                          > always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                          > bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                          You say you return "false"?
                          Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                          virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                          Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it does
                          not exist.

                          Brian
                        • Titanus Eramius
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 5 6:24 AM
                            Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:49:39 -0400 skrev Brian Evans
                            <grknight@...>:

                            > > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve
                            > > the problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query
                            > > that always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail,
                            > > and then bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.
                            >
                            > You say you return "false"?
                            > Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                            > virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                            > Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it
                            > does not exist.

                            False may be the wrong word, and I'm sorry if it is. What I mean is,
                            virtual_mailbox_maps always returns nothing from MySQL, like so:

                            titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q test@...
                            mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                            titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                            1
                            (this user exists)

                            titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q non_existent@...
                            mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                            titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                            1
                            (this user does not)

                            I did this because I had some trouble constructing the query-string
                            Wietse recommended, and thought this would be a simple and easy way to
                            test if virtual_mailbox_maps was the problem.

                            When trying the syntax within the MySQL CLI, a "Empty set" is returned
                            when querying for a non-existent user

                            mysql> SELECT username FROM mailbox
                            -> WHERE username = 'non_existent@...';
                            Empty set (0.00 sec)

                            I hope this better explains what I meant
                            Cheers
                          • Titanus Eramius
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 6 3:18 AM
                              Solved it :-)

                              When sending to unknown users, Postfix now rejects the mail with "User
                              unknown in virtual mailbox table", and it does so for hosted (that is,
                              virtual mailbox domains) domains as well.

                              It seems the SRS-daemon* I have been using with the main.cf parameters
                              recipient_canonical_maps
                              recipient_canonical_classes
                              sender_canonical_maps
                              sender_canonical_classes

                              was the root of the problem. I have just commented them out to solve
                              it. Reading through the documentation for those four parameters, does
                              not seem to indicate why they would mess with Postfix' ability to use
                              virtual_mailbox_maps.

                              But I guess my lack of understanding about Postfix internals is a
                              problem as well. I am sorry for the wasted time, and would like to
                              thank all who helped out.

                              Have a nice weekend

                              * https://github.com/Fruneau/pfixtools