Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

  • Matthias Andree
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
      Am 21.03.2013 13:09, schrieb Frank Bonnet:
      > Hello
      >
      > I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
      > an also old server.
      >
      > The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
      > of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
      > that use qmail.
      >
      > Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
      > to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
      >
      > my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
      > send emails to the Internet.
      >
      > In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
      > instance that will send it outside .
      >
      > it that config I could tweak postfix as I want to manage outgoing
      > emails.
      >
      > The server is mainly used to send daily newsletters
      >
      > Anyone did this ?
      >
      > Is it possible ?

      There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
      posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
      - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)

      If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
      so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
      software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
      you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
        Matthias Andree:
        > There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
        > posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
        > - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)
        >
        > If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
        > so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
        > software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
        > you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.

        The following construction has worked for years at securityfocus.com:

        SMTP protocol -> qmail -> ezmlm -> QMQPD protocol -> Postfix

        This construction was chosen because qmail was falling behind
        with email deliveries.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013

          > CYBERDROID Inc. Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
          >> On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
          >>> Hello
          >>>
          >>> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
          >>> an also old server.
          >>>
          >>> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
          >>> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
          >>> that use qmail.
          >>>
          >>> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
          >>> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
          >>>
          >>> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
          >>> send emails to the Internet.
          >>>
          >>> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
          >>> instance that will send it outside .
          >> That doesn't sound too hard.
          >>
          >> Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
          >> for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.
          >>
          >> In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
          >> smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
          >> and change it to
          >> 127.0.0.1:2525 inet n - n - - smtpd
          >>

          >> Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost. I don't use
          >> qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
          >> echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
          >>
          >> but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.
          >>

          >> -- Noel Jones

          On 3/22/2013 3:01 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:> Hello again

          > Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
          > the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails
          > to few
          > users on this machine in a special way .
          >
          > Thank you

          [please do not top post]

          The simple example I posted above should not change the path of
          incoming SMTP mail. Incoming SMTP mail should still be handled by
          qmail, and postfix should only listen on 127.0.0.1:2525.

          There are tools in your OS to define which MTA will respond to the
          "mail" or "sendmail" local commands, such as system reports sent by
          cron, etc.