Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

  • Frank Bonnet
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
      Hello Noel

      Thanks a lot for your helpful answer :-)

      Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
      On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:

      Hello

      I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
      an also old server.

      The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
      of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
      that use qmail.

      Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
      to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.

      my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
      send emails to the Internet.

      In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
      instance that will send it outside .

      That doesn't sound too hard.

      Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
      for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.

      In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
      smtp  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd
      and change it to
      127.0.0.1:2525  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd

      Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost.  I don't use
      qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
      echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

      but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.

        -- Noel Jones

    • Frank Bonnet
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
        Hello again

        Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
        the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails to few
        users on this machine in a special way .

        Thank you

        CYBERDROID Inc.Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
[...]

      • Matthias Andree
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
          Am 21.03.2013 13:09, schrieb Frank Bonnet:
          > Hello
          >
          > I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
          > an also old server.
          >
          > The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
          > of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
          > that use qmail.
          >
          > Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
          > to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
          >
          > my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
          > send emails to the Internet.
          >
          > In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
          > instance that will send it outside .
          >
          > it that config I could tweak postfix as I want to manage outgoing
          > emails.
          >
          > The server is mainly used to send daily newsletters
          >
          > Anyone did this ?
          >
          > Is it possible ?

          There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
          posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
          - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)

          If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
          so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
          software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
          you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
            Matthias Andree:
            > There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
            > posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
            > - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)
            >
            > If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
            > so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
            > software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
            > you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.

            The following construction has worked for years at securityfocus.com:

            SMTP protocol -> qmail -> ezmlm -> QMQPD protocol -> Postfix

            This construction was chosen because qmail was falling behind
            with email deliveries.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013

              > CYBERDROID Inc. Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
              >> On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
              >>> Hello
              >>>
              >>> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
              >>> an also old server.
              >>>
              >>> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
              >>> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
              >>> that use qmail.
              >>>
              >>> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
              >>> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
              >>>
              >>> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
              >>> send emails to the Internet.
              >>>
              >>> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
              >>> instance that will send it outside .
              >> That doesn't sound too hard.
              >>
              >> Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
              >> for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.
              >>
              >> In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
              >> smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
              >> and change it to
              >> 127.0.0.1:2525 inet n - n - - smtpd
              >>

              >> Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost. I don't use
              >> qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
              >> echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
              >>
              >> but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.
              >>

              >> -- Noel Jones

              On 3/22/2013 3:01 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:> Hello again

              > Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
              > the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails
              > to few
              > users on this machine in a special way .
              >
              > Thank you

              [please do not top post]

              The simple example I posted above should not change the path of
              incoming SMTP mail. Incoming SMTP mail should still be handled by
              qmail, and postfix should only listen on 127.0.0.1:2525.

              There are tools in your OS to define which MTA will respond to the
              "mail" or "sendmail" local commands, such as system reports sent by
              cron, etc.