Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

  • Robert Sander
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
      On 21.03.2013 13:09, Frank Bonnet wrote:

      > Is it possible ?

      Yes, just put your Postfix IP and port in /var/qmail/control/smtproutes:

      :127.0.0.1:25

      Bind your qmail-smtpd on another port in /service/qmail-smtpd/run.

      Regards
      --
      Robert Sander
      Heinlein Support GmbH

      http://www.heinlein-support.de

      Tel: 030 / 405051-43
      Fax: 030 / 405051-19

      Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
      HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,
    • Frank Bonnet
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
        Hello Noel

        Thanks a lot for your helpful answer :-)

        Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
        On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:

        Hello

        I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
        an also old server.

        The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
        of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
        that use qmail.

        Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
        to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.

        my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
        send emails to the Internet.

        In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
        instance that will send it outside .

        That doesn't sound too hard.

        Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
        for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.

        In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
        smtp  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd
        and change it to
        127.0.0.1:2525  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd

        Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost.  I don't use
        qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
        echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

        but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.

          -- Noel Jones

      • Frank Bonnet
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
          Hello again

          Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
          the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails to few
          users on this machine in a special way .

          Thank you

          CYBERDROID Inc.Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
[...]

        • Matthias Andree
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
            Am 21.03.2013 13:09, schrieb Frank Bonnet:
            > Hello
            >
            > I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
            > an also old server.
            >
            > The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
            > of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
            > that use qmail.
            >
            > Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
            > to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
            >
            > my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
            > send emails to the Internet.
            >
            > In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
            > instance that will send it outside .
            >
            > it that config I could tweak postfix as I want to manage outgoing
            > emails.
            >
            > The server is mainly used to send daily newsletters
            >
            > Anyone did this ?
            >
            > Is it possible ?

            There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
            posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
            - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)

            If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
            so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
            software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
            you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
              Matthias Andree:
              > There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
              > posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
              > - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)
              >
              > If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
              > so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
              > software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
              > you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.

              The following construction has worked for years at securityfocus.com:

              SMTP protocol -> qmail -> ezmlm -> QMQPD protocol -> Postfix

              This construction was chosen because qmail was falling behind
              with email deliveries.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013

                > CYBERDROID Inc. Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
                >> On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
                >>> Hello
                >>>
                >>> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
                >>> an also old server.
                >>>
                >>> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
                >>> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
                >>> that use qmail.
                >>>
                >>> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
                >>> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
                >>>
                >>> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
                >>> send emails to the Internet.
                >>>
                >>> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
                >>> instance that will send it outside .
                >> That doesn't sound too hard.
                >>
                >> Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
                >> for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.
                >>
                >> In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
                >> smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                >> and change it to
                >> 127.0.0.1:2525 inet n - n - - smtpd
                >>

                >> Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost. I don't use
                >> qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
                >> echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
                >>
                >> but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.
                >>

                >> -- Noel Jones

                On 3/22/2013 3:01 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:> Hello again

                > Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
                > the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails
                > to few
                > users on this machine in a special way .
                >
                > Thank you

                [please do not top post]

                The simple example I posted above should not change the path of
                incoming SMTP mail. Incoming SMTP mail should still be handled by
                qmail, and postfix should only listen on 127.0.0.1:2525.

                There are tools in your OS to define which MTA will respond to the
                "mail" or "sendmail" local commands, such as system reports sent by
                cron, etc.