qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

  • Frank Bonnet
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
      Hello

      I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
      an also old server.

      The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
      of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
      that use qmail.

      Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
      to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.

      my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
      send emails to the Internet.

      In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
      instance that will send it outside .

      it that config I could tweak postfix as I want to manage outgoing
      emails.

      The server is mainly used to send daily newsletters

      Anyone did this ?

      Is it possible ?

      Thank you
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
        On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
        > an also old server.
        >
        > The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
        > of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
        > that use qmail.
        >
        > Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
        > to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
        >
        > my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
        > send emails to the Internet.
        >
        > In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
        > instance that will send it outside .

        That doesn't sound too hard.

        Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
        for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.

        In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
        smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
        and change it to
        127.0.0.1:2525 inet n - n - - smtpd

        Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost. I don't use
        qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
        echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

        but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Robert Sander
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
          On 21.03.2013 13:09, Frank Bonnet wrote:

          > Is it possible ?

          Yes, just put your Postfix IP and port in /var/qmail/control/smtproutes:

          :127.0.0.1:25

          Bind your qmail-smtpd on another port in /service/qmail-smtpd/run.

          Regards
          --
          Robert Sander
          Heinlein Support GmbH

          http://www.heinlein-support.de

          Tel: 030 / 405051-43
          Fax: 030 / 405051-19

          Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
          HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,
        • John Levine
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
            >Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
            >to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.

            I'm not surprised, it's pretty picky about non-standard behavior.

            >my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
            >send emails to the Internet.
            >
            >In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
            >instance that will send it outside .

            That's pretty straightforward. One way is to set up postfix listening
            on a local port, say 2525, then in /var/qmail/control/smtproutes put

            :127.0.0.1:2525

            to tell it to send all mail via SMTP to the postfix listener.
          • Frank Bonnet

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
                Hello again

                Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
                the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails to few
                users on this machine in a special way .

                Thank you

                CYBERDROID Inc.Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
[...]

              • Matthias Andree
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
                  Am 21.03.2013 13:09, schrieb Frank Bonnet:
                  > Hello
                  >
                  > I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
                  > an also old server.
                  >
                  > The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
                  > of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
                  > that use qmail.
                  >
                  > Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
                  > to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
                  >
                  > my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
                  > send emails to the Internet.
                  >
                  > In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
                  > instance that will send it outside .
                  >
                  > it that config I could tweak postfix as I want to manage outgoing
                  > emails.
                  >
                  > The server is mainly used to send daily newsletters
                  >
                  > Anyone did this ?
                  >
                  > Is it possible ?

                  There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
                  posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
                  - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)

                  If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
                  so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
                  software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
                  you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
                    Matthias Andree:
                    > There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
                    > posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
                    > - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)
                    >
                    > If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
                    > so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit. If your
                    > software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
                    > you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.

                    The following construction has worked for years at securityfocus.com:

                    SMTP protocol -> qmail -> ezmlm -> QMQPD protocol -> Postfix

                    This construction was chosen because qmail was falling behind
                    with email deliveries.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013

                      > CYBERDROID Inc. Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
                      >> On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
                      >>> Hello
                      >>>
                      >>> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
                      >>> an also old server.
                      >>>
                      >>> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
                      >>> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
                      >>> that use qmail.
                      >>>
                      >>> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
                      >>> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
                      >>>
                      >>> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
                      >>> send emails to the Internet.
                      >>>
                      >>> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
                      >>> instance that will send it outside .
                      >> That doesn't sound too hard.
                      >>
                      >> Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
                      >> for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.
                      >>
                      >> In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
                      >> smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                      >> and change it to
                      >> 127.0.0.1:2525 inet n - n - - smtpd
                      >>

                      >> Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost. I don't use
                      >> qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
                      >> echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
                      >>
                      >> but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.
                      >>

                      >> -- Noel Jones

                      On 3/22/2013 3:01 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:> Hello again

                      > Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
                      > the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails
                      > to few
                      > users on this machine in a special way .
                      >
                      > Thank you

                      [please do not top post]

                      The simple example I posted above should not change the path of
                      incoming SMTP mail. Incoming SMTP mail should still be handled by
                      qmail, and postfix should only listen on 127.0.0.1:2525.

                      There are tools in your OS to define which MTA will respond to the
                      "mail" or "sendmail" local commands, such as system reports sent by
                      cron, etc.