Re: limit for messages per connection?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
      Reindl Harald:
      > smtpd_recipient_limit = 100
      > anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
      > smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 80

      Have you considered:
      smtpd_client_message_rate_limit
      smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit

      Wietse
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
        Am 20.03.2013 17:33, schrieb Wietse Venema:> Reindl Harald:
        >> smtpd_recipient_limit = 100
        >> anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
        >> smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 80
        >
        > Have you considered:
        > smtpd_client_message_rate_limit
        > smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit

        thank you - no i have not because i still was in the middle
        for the documentation searching for "limit" :-)

        i have exactly 1418 messages between
        Mar 20 16:08:06
        Mar 20 16:24:09

        normally we have not more than 1000 messages outgoing on this
        machine a day because real mass-mailing is prohibited but i
        am unsere about the impact of the anvil / limit calculation
        to not make troubles for legitimate mail in case someone sends
        as example 5 mails to 20 RCPT's in a few minutes which may
        happen from time to time

        would you consider this as safe?
        smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 500
        smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 500
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
          Reindl Harald:

          Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
          -- Start of PGP signed section.

          > Am 20.03.2013 17:33, schrieb Wietse Venema:> Reindl Harald:
          > >> smtpd_recipient_limit = 100
          > >> anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
          > >> smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 80
          > >
          > > Have you considered:
          > > smtpd_client_message_rate_limit
          > > smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit
          >
          > thank you - no i have not because i still was in the middle
          > for the documentation searching for "limit" :-)
          >
          > i have exactly 1418 messages between
          > Mar 20 16:08:06
          > Mar 20 16:24:09
          >
          > normally we have not more than 1000 messages outgoing on this
          > machine a day because real mass-mailing is prohibited but i
          > am unsere about the impact of the anvil / limit calculation
          > to not make troubles for legitimate mail in case someone sends
          > as example 5 mails to 20 RCPT's in a few minutes which may
          > happen from time to time
          >
          > would you consider this as safe?
          > smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 500
          > smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 500

          Used like this, the message rate limit is redundant.
          No-one can send more messages than recipients.
          As for the numbers, that is really not my call to make.