limit for messages per connection?

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20 9:12 AM
      Hi

      smtpd_recipient_limit = 100
      anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
      smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 80

      some minutes ago a user sent out 1500 messages
      i see more than one SASL auth per second, none
      of the settings above are stopping this and so i
      assume that outlook is using the same connection
      but sending always a single mail to ignore the
      "smtpd_recipient_limit" and also get not blocked
      by the "smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit"

      is there a way to prevent such idiots from
      working around limits this way?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20 9:33 AM
        Reindl Harald:
        > smtpd_recipient_limit = 100
        > anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
        > smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 80

        Have you considered:
        smtpd_client_message_rate_limit
        smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit

        Wietse
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20 9:54 AM
          Am 20.03.2013 17:33, schrieb Wietse Venema:> Reindl Harald:
          >> smtpd_recipient_limit = 100
          >> anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
          >> smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 80
          >
          > Have you considered:
          > smtpd_client_message_rate_limit
          > smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit

          thank you - no i have not because i still was in the middle
          for the documentation searching for "limit" :-)

          i have exactly 1418 messages between
          Mar 20 16:08:06
          Mar 20 16:24:09

          normally we have not more than 1000 messages outgoing on this
          machine a day because real mass-mailing is prohibited but i
          am unsere about the impact of the anvil / limit calculation
          to not make troubles for legitimate mail in case someone sends
          as example 5 mails to 20 RCPT's in a few minutes which may
          happen from time to time

          would you consider this as safe?
          smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 500
          smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 500
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20 10:39 AM
            Reindl Harald:

            Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
            -- Start of PGP signed section.

            > Am 20.03.2013 17:33, schrieb Wietse Venema:> Reindl Harald:
            > >> smtpd_recipient_limit = 100
            > >> anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
            > >> smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 80
            > >
            > > Have you considered:
            > > smtpd_client_message_rate_limit
            > > smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit
            >
            > thank you - no i have not because i still was in the middle
            > for the documentation searching for "limit" :-)
            >
            > i have exactly 1418 messages between
            > Mar 20 16:08:06
            > Mar 20 16:24:09
            >
            > normally we have not more than 1000 messages outgoing on this
            > machine a day because real mass-mailing is prohibited but i
            > am unsere about the impact of the anvil / limit calculation
            > to not make troubles for legitimate mail in case someone sends
            > as example 5 mails to 20 RCPT's in a few minutes which may
            > happen from time to time
            >
            > would you consider this as safe?
            > smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 500
            > smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 500

            Used like this, the message rate limit is redundant.
            No-one can send more messages than recipients.
            As for the numbers, that is really not my call to make.