Re: Migration from Microsoft Exchange Server

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
      On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:42:43 +0530
      Ashok Kumar J articulated:

      > I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail
      > server. please give your valuable suggestion.

      Maybe you could supply some valuable information, such as:

      1) Your OS

      2) Version of Postfix you are installing

      3) You system requirements

      3) Are you going to use "SQL", "LDAP", "BDB" or whatever for your maps,
      etcetera.

      4) Are you also using Amavisd

      5) SASL Authentication and TLS

      When you supply some information then someone can better server you.
      You might want to start here though:

      and http://www.postfix.org/docs.html

      While you are at it, lose the impulse to post in HTML format. GMail
      offers plain text format.

      --
      Jerry ✌
      postfix-user@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
        Am 20.03.2013 12:12, schrieb Ashok Kumar J:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server.
        > please give your valuable suggestion.
        >

        > --
        > with regards
        >
        > Ashok Kumar J

        to give an idea what might needed
        look i.e

        http://www.exratione.com/2012/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1204-postfix-dovecot-mysql/

        for groupware functions you might also need i.e

        sogo

        http://www.sogo.nu/english.html

        but you might also try exchange clones partly depending on open software
        like zimbra

        http://www.zimbra.com/

        etc , do web search, choose what fits best to you

        not a postfix question at all

        Best Regards
        MfG Robert Schetterer

        --
        [*] sys4 AG

        http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
        Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

      • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
          And if you dont wana go command line alot (which i prefer not) then go for some collaboration suite like Zimbra (opensource), citadel, kolab and many others.

          On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...> wrote:
          i am sure u will receive emails saying "you can not compare the two, because posfix is an MTA".
          at some point when i was very new and was asking the same.

          it is correct that postfix is an MTA but it is also correct that postfix can work far more better then Exchange by combining add-ons. i suggest you to read more about followings.

          Postfix (MTA) configuration concept and Maildir
          Dovecot (LDA) config configuration for support of POP, IMAP and SASL authencitaion
          Virtual domains configuration concept
          virtual users configuration and concept
          or
          Ldap auth for integration with active directory.
          spamassasin with antivirus ability (but an overhead normally not required)

          Thanks

          Yousuf

          On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Ashok Kumar J <ashok.jagathesan@...> wrote:
          Hi All,

          I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server. please give your valuable suggestion.

          --
          with regards

          Ashok Kumar J

        • Nikolaos Milas
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
            On 20/3/2013 2:02 μμ, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

            > And if you dont wana go command line alot (which i prefer not) then go
            > for some collaboration suite like Zimbra (opensource), citadel, kolab
            > and many others.

            Consider iredmail too: http://www.iredmail.org/ esp. if you can afford
            $299 for the first year and $199 for the subsequent years (see:
            http://www.iredmail.org/pricing.html).

            You can set up everything yourself too, but it's gonna take much more
            time and effort.

            You can use the free version too - fully functional without admin UI.

            Nick
          • Ashok Kumar J