Migration from Microsoft Exchange Server

  • Ashok Kumar J
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
      Hi All,

      I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server. please give your valuable suggestion.

      --
      with regards

      Ashok Kumar J
    • Victor d'Agostino
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
        Hi Ashok

        Exchange is a SMTP server and a mailbox system. Postfix is only a SMTP server.

        If you want to stop using Exchange you may be interested by Zimbra : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbra

        All Zimbra suites contains a free .exe MS Exchange migration tool to migrate accounts and emails.

        Postfix is included in Zimbra.

        Regards,

        Victor d'Agostino

        Le 20/03/2013 12:12, Ashok Kumar J a écrit :
        Hi All,

        I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server. please give your valuable suggestion.

        --
        with regards

        Ashok Kumar J

      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
          Am 20.03.2013 12:12, schrieb Ashok Kumar J:
          > I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server. please give your valuable suggestion.

          and postfix is only a MTA
          so you need dovecot or whatever for IMAP/POP3 too

          sorry, a mailing-list is not the place to start!
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
            On 3/20/2013 6:12 AM, Ashok Kumar J wrote:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail
            > server. please give your valuable suggestion.

            Postfix alone does not replace Exchange. You'll need several other
            software packages, plus a fairly good understanding of the
            technologies involved. Search google for a general idea of what's
            involved.

            If you have a more specific question, we'll be glad to help.

            -- Noel Jones
          • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
              i am sure u will receive emails saying "you can not compare the two, because posfix is an MTA".
              at some point when i was very new and was asking the same.

              it is correct that postfix is an MTA but it is also correct that postfix can work far more better then Exchange by combining add-ons. i suggest you to read more about followings.

              Postfix (MTA) configuration concept and Maildir
              Dovecot (LDA) config configuration for support of POP, IMAP and SASL authencitaion
              Virtual domains configuration concept
              virtual users configuration and concept
              or
              Ldap auth for integration with active directory.
              spamassasin with antivirus ability (but an overhead normally not required)

              Thanks

              Yousuf

              On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Ashok Kumar J <ashok.jagathesan@...> wrote:
              Hi All,

              I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server. please give your valuable suggestion.

              --
              with regards

              Ashok Kumar J

            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
                On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:42:43 +0530
                Ashok Kumar J articulated:

                > I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail
                > server. please give your valuable suggestion.

                Maybe you could supply some valuable information, such as:

                1) Your OS

                2) Version of Postfix you are installing

                3) You system requirements

                3) Are you going to use "SQL", "LDAP", "BDB" or whatever for your maps,
                etcetera.

                4) Are you also using Amavisd

                5) SASL Authentication and TLS

                When you supply some information then someone can better server you.
                You might want to start here though:

                and http://www.postfix.org/docs.html

                While you are at it, lose the impulse to post in HTML format. GMail
                offers plain text format.

                --
                Jerry ✌
                postfix-user@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
                  Am 20.03.2013 12:12, schrieb Ashok Kumar J:
                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server.
                  > please give your valuable suggestion.
                  >

                  > --
                  > with regards
                  >
                  > Ashok Kumar J

                  to give an idea what might needed
                  look i.e

                  http://www.exratione.com/2012/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1204-postfix-dovecot-mysql/

                  for groupware functions you might also need i.e

                  sogo

                  http://www.sogo.nu/english.html

                  but you might also try exchange clones partly depending on open software
                  like zimbra

                  http://www.zimbra.com/

                  etc , do web search, choose what fits best to you

                  not a postfix question at all

                  Best Regards
                  MfG Robert Schetterer

                  --
                  [*] sys4 AG

                  http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                  Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

                • Muhammad Yousuf Khan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
                      On 20/3/2013 2:02 μμ, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

                      > And if you dont wana go command line alot (which i prefer not) then go
                      > for some collaboration suite like Zimbra (opensource), citadel, kolab
                      > and many others.

                      Consider iredmail too: http://www.iredmail.org/ esp. if you can afford
                      $299 for the first year and $199 for the subsequent years (see:
                      http://www.iredmail.org/pricing.html).

                      You can set up everything yourself too, but it's gonna take much more
                      time and effort.

                      You can use the free version too - fully functional without admin UI.

                      Nick
                    • Ashok Kumar J