Postscreen dnsblog logentries

  • Marko Weber | ZBF
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
      hello,

      i see alot of entries from postfix/dnsblog in my logs like this:

      postfix/dnsblog[30381]: warning: dnsblog_query: lookup error for DNS
      query 140.99.145.217.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.zen.dq.spamhaus.net: Host or domain
      name not found. Name service error for
      name=140.99.145.217.xxxxxxxxxxxx.zen.dq.spamhaus.net type=A: Host not
      found, try again

      does this mean zenhaus is not reachable or is the ip in that request
      not giving any result?

      thanks

      marko
    • Remy Zandwijk
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
        Marko,

        > i see alot of entries from postfix/dnsblog in my logs like this:
        >
        > postfix/dnsblog[30381]: warning: dnsblog_query: lookup error for DNS query 140.99.145.217.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.zen.dq.spamhaus.net: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=140.99.145.217.xxxxxxxxxxxx.zen.dq.spamhaus.net type=A: Host not found, try again
        >
        > does this mean zenhaus is not reachable or is the ip in that request not giving any result?

        Spamhaus is victim of a DDOS attack: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Anonymous-Hackers-Launch-DDOS-Attack-Against-Spamhaus-338382.shtml

        -Remy
      • DTNX Postmaster
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
          On Mar 20, 2013, at 09:53, Remy Zandwijk <remy@...> wrote:

          > Marko,
          >
          >> i see alot of entries from postfix/dnsblog in my logs like this:
          >>
          >> postfix/dnsblog[30381]: warning: dnsblog_query: lookup error for DNS query 140.99.145.217.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.zen.dq.spamhaus.net: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=140.99.145.217.xxxxxxxxxxxx.zen.dq.spamhaus.net type=A: Host not found, try again
          >>
          >> does this mean zenhaus is not reachable or is the ip in that request not giving any result?
          >
          > Spamhaus is victim of a DDOS attack: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Anonymous-Hackers-Launch-DDOS-Attack-Against-Spamhaus-338382.shtml

          The DDOS attack did not affect DNS resolution, just the website and
          mail handling. Ours has run unaffected.

          Check your configuration in 'master.cf', and make sure you are not
          running with increased logging for 'dnsblog'.

          If that is not the case, verify that the DNS servers configured on the
          system work as intended, that you have an active subscription for the
          Spamhaus commercial service, and so on.

          Cya,
          Jona
        • Ashok Kumar J
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
            Hi All,

            I want to migrate from Microsoft Exchange Server to Postfix mail server. please give your valuable suggestion.

            regards
            Ashok Kumar J